Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Makeshift cab

/ Makeshift cab #1  

klem531

Tractor
Ford New Holland 1620
So I finally got to use my shiney new front mount New Holland 716B 60" snowblower the other day and I was totally impressed. I was a little frustrated at how much snow blew back at me with the swirling wind so I decided to try and find some sorta cab to at least block the wind. We have a local radio show here in Indiana called Tradio where you can buy, sell, swap or trade most anything so I called and advertised I was looking for a cab. Low and behold an old timer called me and said he had a large cab off of a simplicity garden Tractor haging in his barn and wanted to get rid of it cheap. So I drove out and had a look see and to my surprise it worked like a champ. With very little fab/modification I was able to mount the cab and the hole for the simplicity had crank even lined up with my loader control. Valve handle. I'm not gonna win a beauty contests with it but it's functional!

ForumRunner_20140125_221512.png

ForumRunner_20140125_221255.png

View attachment 356925

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140125_221220.png
    ForumRunner_20140125_221220.png
    614 KB · Views: 199
   / Makeshift cab #2  
Doesn't look too bad! I bet you finished nice and dry, only wetness would be from sweating. It should be warm being so small. Enjoy your snow removal.

/ Makeshift cab
Doesn't look too bad! I bet you finished nice and dry, only wetness would be from sweating. It should be warm being so small. Enjoy your snow removal.

Nice and dry indeed... Honestly, it's bigger than it looks. It certainly makes the noise from the engine a lot louder too which I wasn't expecting but it's worth the tradeoff

/ Makeshift cab #4  
Your cab looks great! Any protection while using a snowblower is a must. The one thing I found while using a plastic unheated cab, is that the snow tends to stick to the outside of the cab, which obstructs the view, especially since you need to look behind to use blower.
At least your cab seems completely sealed up, mine is just a walk-behind blower cab mounted backwards, but it is better than nothing.
Rick
image.jpg

/ Makeshift cab #5  
SnoBota.jpg

I don't know about you, but I don't care about winning a tractor beauty contest when I am blowing snow. This is what I use. It is made out of Marine Grade Vinly that they use on boats. I had an upholstery shop custom make mine.
Takes about 10 minutes to put on and about 2 minutes to take off. Just make sure it is warm when you do.
I have great visability, and it keeps ALL of the wind and snow off of me. As a matter of fact, I usually end up wearing just a light jacket. After mu first year with it, I went back and had them install a window so I could let some cool air in. As far as snow sticking, I have never had an issue with that. As for the noise, yes it is a little louder, but I am wearing a pair of headphone radio AM/FM earmuffs this year and they work great.

/ Makeshift cab
Yeah I didn't have aesthetics on my mind when I put that cab on that's for sure. That cabs pretty old but the material is in really good shape. I'm going to have to replace the clear plastic Windows though, there are several cracks starting to open up on the front and back but it's good for now. Think I'll look into that clear marine grade material your using. Looks like just what I need.