Makes me feel old; Part Deux

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Took my twin, six year old Grandsons to Wally World the other day; it's about 6 or 7 miles so I thought I would have some fun with them and see if they knew the way. They did pretty good for the first couple of miles, but had trouble telling me where to turn. I finally said, "Boys, I think you got us lost...I thought you knew the way".
One of them said back, "Grandpa, we don't know the way, we're just kids.". I said, well, "I'm just a kid too". One of them said "No, you're not a kid Grandpa...you're grown up". I said "How do you know I'm not a kid?" One of the said "Just look at your hands..." and the other chimed in..."And yeah, just look at the hair in your nose".

I laughed for 15 minutes. These guys need their own reality show.

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #2  
Kids are funny, it's true.

I hope you bought a nose hair trimmer when you got there :laughing:

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux
Kids are funny, it's true.

I hope you bought a nose hair trimmer when you got there :laughing:

:laughing: Got one; use my moustache scissors...but I did manage an inspection and trim when I got home. :laughing:

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #4  
I'm certain that as a kid I knew how to get to most places in my town and could give perfect directions. Of course, in those days we walked or rode our bikes most places. I walked to school most days until I was old enough to drive. Today, kids ride a schoolbus or get taxied in the car everywhere while sitting in the back seat playing video games, playing with their phones, or watching movies on the built-in DVD players in our cars. They have no experience going places on their own if it's further than down the block. My 12 year old granddaughter could not tell me how to get to Taco Bell when it was less than 6 blocks from her house. It's surely a different world than the one we grew up in.:rolleyes:

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #5  
our 5 year-old grandson comes over a couple days a week to save his mom the $35/day for daycare.
When we sometimes take him home, he gives us the dickens if we don't go the same route his mother takes. This is about 13 miles, going thru 7 intersections... he knows every turn.

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #6  
I'm certain that as a kid I knew how to get to most places in my town and could give perfect directions. Of course, in those days we walked or rode our bikes most places. I walked to school most days until I was old enough to drive. Today, kids ride a schoolbus or get taxied in the car everywhere while sitting in the back seat playing video games, playing with their phones, or watching movies on the built-in DVD players in our cars. They have no experience going places on their own if it's further than down the block. My 12 year old granddaughter could not tell me how to get to Taco Bell when it was less than 6 blocks from her house. It's surely a different world than the one we grew up in.:rolleyes:

Of course it is a different world, we only had to know how to get to the Tastee Freeze, and in winter when it closed, there was nowhere we really needed to get to. :laughing:

Taco Bell hadn't come along yet. I never knew the "Bell" in Taco Bell was the founder's name.
Taco Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Taco Bell was founded by Glen Bell who first opened a hot dog stand called Bell’s Drive-In in San Bernardino, California[2] in 1946 when he was 23 years old. Six years later, he sold the stand and opened a new one two years later, this time selling tacos under the name of Taco-Tia. Over the next few years Bell owned and operated a number of restaurants in southern California including four called El Taco. Bell sold the El Tacos to his partner and built the first Taco Bell in Downey in 1962. In 1962, he sold Taco-Tia. Kermit Becky, a former Los Angeles police officer, bought the first Taco Bell franchise from Glen Bell in 1964, and located it in Torrance. The company grew rapidly, and by 1967, the 100th restaurant opened at 400 South Brookhurst in Anaheim. In 1970, Taco Bell went public with 325 restaurants. In 1978, PepsiCo purchased Taco Bell from Glen Bell."

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #7  
My granddaughter and I were driving along one day and she told me I had big ears....I said..." Do you think so ? " She said " Yes, older men have bigger ears " I told her it was so we could hear our granddaughter better...She laughed....The things kids say...Art Linkletter...anyone old enough to remember him other than me ?:rolleyes:

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #8  
on TV and "F troop ...."go till you see the rock that looks like a big bear , turn left till you come to a bear that looks like a big rock"

McKales Navy ....

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #9  
Wasn.t the saying that he had, " Kids say the darndest things" (that is an n after the r ) Also didn,t Bill Cosby have something similar to this?

T.J.

/ Makes me feel old; Part Deux #10  
Yes How times have changed!! But have they, todays kids sitting in the back seat of the car watching their must have DVD's. as well as "plugged in" to some electronic device, I remember the good old days when I was a kid...... as I tell my 12 year old daughter I had the same thing in the "old days" only the DVD player was called a window. Always wondering what was over the next hill...where has the overall imagination of everyone went???
Technology to me, peaked when My phone was bolted to the dashboard of my truck,,, it shouldn't have gotten past that, now we are liable to hitting pedestrians walking onto the street while texting and never breaking their concentration from that...perhaps it's time to move farther out into the country....

My rant for the day...

cheers

Roger