Main belt for tough cut mower.

/ Main belt for tough cut mower. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
While doing pre-winter service on my tough cut mower I had it lifted up for blade removal, sharpening, and replacement. (The All American Sharpener model 5005EXT and an angle grinder make accurate sharpening easy on clockwise and counter clockwise blades.) In lowering the deck, I did not notice that the main belt (B162? had slipped a sheave where it was in path of the frame supports on their way down. The supports cut the belt as if they were the sharpest of scissors clean cut all the way through!

I found a new belt on Amazon (most all of these belts are standard) at a decent price ($41.00). This is a LONG belt and the diagram for replacement is convoluted. I had to take both sides of the lift frame loose to get the job done, but the owner痴 manual only said to remove the left side. Any way, got it done and put to bed for winter. Keep your eyes on the belts when lowering the mower deck.

prs

/ Main belt for tough cut mower. #2  
Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully sharing your experience will help that from happening to someone else.

/ Main belt for tough cut mower. #3  
Most regular V belts are a lot cheaper because they are not made to bend backwards, they run a short time and break..... jim

/ Main belt for tough cut mower.
Most regular V belts are a lot cheaper because they are not made to bend backwards, they run a short time and break..... jim

Jim; you have that right. For our equipment, you have to get the right stuff. Make sure they meet the specification and are good USA products with the same model and size specs. If in doubt, pay the Man for Ventrac supplied belts.

prs

/ Main belt for tough cut mower. #5  
The other big thing I learned is to take the belt off or take it off the pulleys and take the back bends out of it and it will last forever. Leaving it set for months in the same position under spring pressure they will crack on the bottom side on the reverse bend.... jim

That is a good idea. A bit of a PIA on some of these implements, but still a good idea. At least rotate the drive a quarter turn and then release the tensionsers.

I should have mentioned, the belt I let be guillotined was in tip-top condition other than that razor sharp slice through it. It had 3 HARD seasons of use in brush, heavy weeds, multiflora rose, and such; probably 175 hours or more. I am impressed at how that belt looked wear wise. Now, the belt that connects the Ventrac power unit's PTO to the drive of the Tough Cut is well worn, but serviceable. I have those in stock and broke one the first season I used it when a piece of brush pushed the belt guard back into that belt. Belt guard in in my tool box now.

/ Main belt for tough cut mower. #7  
I have the new deck with the hyd. lift, I don't remove it but I take it off the pulleys and roll it up so there are no reverse bends and it is good to go. Next spring I will put it back on, this is the third deck I did this with and have never lost a belt. ..... jim

The new model deck with side discharge is GREAT. The hydraulic service lift is a blessing too. I have been using the contour which rear discharges and kept the radiator screen clogged during dry cutting. Even though the new deck is 8" less wide of cut, the job goes quicker and is of better quality so long as the ground is fairly even. On rolling ground the contour wins the blue ribbon. I have never taken the belts off of the sheaves, but it sounds like a good idea. I have to mow a couple of acres today and that "should be" the end of it until early spring. Time to remove the dual and get the snow equipment mounted -- yuk..

prs

/ Main belt for tough cut mower. #9  
A little pressure wash and grease job and spray the underside with fluid film, took my belt of the pulleys and it's put away. Plow and tractor are greased..... and waiting.... jim