Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over
Problem is solved! I want to sincerely thank all of you on the forum for ideas, thoughts and suggestions. It seems that first impressions can sometimes be right on the money. My first impression was that there was a breakdown in current flow with high demand. I thought maybe battery or cables and swapped batteries. That didn't change symptoms. I bypassed all safety switches no change. Pulled ground cable and cleaned connections, no change. Pulled power cable, removed plastic boot and noticed that something didn't look right. I hadn't noticed anything when swapping batteries, but hadn't removed the boot. What I found was that the cable had badly corroded at the battery clamp and the boot was the only thing keeping the cable and clamp in contact with each other. Somehow, pulling the cable when swapping batteries didn't result in complete failure of the cable and symptoms were exactly the same.

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over
Problem is solved part 2. There was obvious damage from heat caused by the high resistance, melted plastic as well as arc damage to the metal parts. Solution was to cut both cables at the clamp connection, strip back both cables add a heavy guage ring terminal to the smaller wire and re-attached the battery clamp to the large cable, incorporating the ring terminal to one of the clamp screws. Put everything back together and it fired right up.
20231104_112905.jpg
20231104_113410.jpg
20231104_113410.jpg
20231104_112905.jpg

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #23  
That was another ear marked problem for these.
Mahindra bought a bunch Excide batteries that were faulty and would Leak through the post insert.
I should have mentioned this as well but when you said you replaced the battery, I thought you may have then noticed the corrosion.
Glad you found it and glad you got back to the group with the fix so thanks for that.

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #24  
That was another ear marked problem for these.
Mahindra bought a bunch Excide batteries that were faulty and would Leak through the post insert.
I should have mentioned this as well but when you said you replaced the battery, I thought you may have then noticed the corrosion.
Glad you found it and glad you got back to the group with the fix so thanks for that.
Good to know why my original Exide looked like a leaky mess that ate up the holddown and required a clean up of the tray. I chose to replace mine with a group 30 battery which required a change from post clamps to eyelets. A stainless steel holddown replaced the original. Tractor cranks much better that it did since new. As far as the OP problem, with meter and amp clamp in hand, a check of powers and grounds under load will most always find the problem quick and easy.

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #25  
Hi folks, I'm looking for a little help. I have a 2012 Mahindra Max 22 with 490 hours. Only problem before my current issue was a bad fuel shut off solenoid in 2015. The problem I'm experiencing is that when I turn the ignition switch to warm up, the tractor it goes through the usual chattering then a click and the glow plug and battery indicators illuminate. At this point I used to go to start and the solenoid would engage and the engine would turn over. Now I get the solenoid click but the starter doesn't start and I hear some relay chatter and the battery light goes out and the glow plug indicator goes dim - about half of normal intensity. Some additional data, when the key is off I have 12.8 volts at F1 and F2 nothing at F3-F6, battery is 12.8 v. When I place key in warm up voltage is 12.5 volts at F1-F6.
Another observation is if I try to start again in quick succession to the first attempt I see the following: Key off F1-F2 12.8 volts F3-F6, 0 volts (battery 12.8 v). Key on warm up F1-F6, 4.5 volts glow plug indicator dim, battery indicator off, (battery still 12.8v)
A little recent history, battery died over summer so it was replaced with a new battery which worked great until the recent problem. I am pretty knowledgeable with ICE engines but not great with diesel (but I want to learn). I have a background in electronics/electrical work but am now retired.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Do you know if it has a Denso starter? Many tractors use them and will will lock up after some use. My tractor store told me to gently tap on it which actually works. There also could be some safety switches. I have several and anyone will keep it from cranking.

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #26  
If you have to tap on the starter in order to get it to spin, its probably the solenoid not the starter.
The spring inside of it is binding or rusty, and the tap on the side loosens it up to make contact.

The dust from the flywheel teeth and starter create a fine metal dust that gets inside of it.

I would remove it and open it up, then clean it up with an air hose, that MIGHT be your problem.:)

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #27  
I had the exact same problem with my 11-year-old Mahindra that reoccurred several times until i finally fixed it. The problem was battery corrosion (not visible) creating a poor connection on the positive terminal of the battery. I would clean the battery post and terminal and it would work for months until it did not. I finally replaced the terminals with much nicer terminals purchased on Amazon and have never had a problem since.

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #28  
Hi folks, I'm looking for a little help. I have a 2012 Mahindra Max 22 with 490 hours. Only problem before my current issue was a bad fuel shut off solenoid in 2015. The problem I'm experiencing is that when I turn the ignition switch to warm up, the tractor it goes through the usual chattering then a click and the glow plug and battery indicators illuminate. At this point I used to go to start and the solenoid would engage and the engine would turn over. Now I get the solenoid click but the starter doesn't start and I hear some relay chatter and the battery light goes out and the glow plug indicator goes dim - about half of normal intensity. Some additional data, when the key is off I have 12.8 volts at F1 and F2 nothing at F3-F6, battery is 12.8 v. When I place key in warm up voltage is 12.5 volts at F1-F6.
Another observation is if I try to start again in quick succession to the first attempt I see the following: Key off F1-F2 12.8 volts F3-F6, 0 volts (battery 12.8 v). Key on warm up F1-F6, 4.5 volts glow plug indicator dim, battery indicator off, (battery still 12.8v)
A little recent history, battery died over summer so it was replaced with a new battery which worked great until the recent problem. I am pretty knowledgeable with ICE engines but not great with diesel (but I want to learn). I have a background in electronics/electrical work but am now retired.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a bad connection or battery cable.

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #29  
Almost the same problem on my Max 26. 2019 with 250 hours. No chattering relays or dimming lights, but key to start position would click solenoid but not turn. Battery positive terminal was badly corroded. I cleaned everything in the starter power circuit (grounds and 12v) and that fixed it. I’m back to an occasional click & no turn if I let it sit for a couple of weeks. Probably need to keep it on a trickle charger over the winter and think about a new battery before too long

Thanks so much to OP for the pix

/ Mahindra Max 22 Won't turn over #30  
seems everyone eventually has the issue, amperage is simply too high for the connector

these have worked flawless for years for me, 0 corrosion after installing, I put them literally on everything.

https://amzn.to/3MrxCVK