Mahindra Max 22 won’t start

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #1  

Zippy 96

Tractor
Mahindra max 22 HST
This tractor is baffling me. It will run start and run good. Then it will just shut off. Sometimes it will start again and sometimes it won’t.
Have replaced the load relay and the ETR solenoid. Checked, cleaned, put dielectric grease on several connections and no change.

I discovered that if I provide a ground to the electromagnetic pump, the tractor starts and runs. The wire come from the engine control connector J1 pin A3.

What I don’t know is, what signal is the computer looking for (or what input pin) should I be chasing?

I don’t want to put a new computer on the tractor and it does the same thing. Also, check engine light doesn’t come on. I don’t know if bulb is burnt out or if it is something else. Light doesn’t even come on when just turning the key on.

Any help is appreciated!!

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #2  
Buy a new Kubota, simple answer. You have the moolah. Besides Kubota is offering 0 percent financing yet. My dealer sold 5 kast week and I have to deliver at least 3 tomorrow for him. I canget two units on his roll back at one time but will have to come back for the third plus the third one has a trade in on the return trip and I believe it's a Mahindra, which he will have a helluva time selling as no one around here wants a Mahindra anyway. Probably have to wholesale it to another dealer or let it rot on his large used tractor lot. He also has some nice low hour Kubota's for sale as well and I'm getting a Kubota F20 front mount diesel powered 70" mower from him this spring when one of his commercial accounts trades it in and I'm excited. I'm sick of conventional ZTR's, have a Cub Cadet 60" tank that is going bye bye to him as a trade. He sells Cub Cadet commercial mowers so he can resell it easily and it has a steering wheel, no oars and it's a diesel, of course and working there I can get the shop to go through everything as I know next to zip about hydrostatic transmissions. Already made a shop order up for a complete fluid change, new motor oil and filters, new blades, check the mower gearboxes and change the oil in them as well, grease everything and I'll deliver it myself to me. Make sure no leaks and change the antifreeze as well. he actually has 2 out front he won't sell to me because one, we are friends and two they have the 'reformer' engines in them and there is no way to delete it. I guess they rot or until some sucker comes along he don't like and then they will leave. One I'm getting, I.ve checked it out and it's in excellent shape, good tires, no dents either and all the gages work just fine. It's kept inside a climate controlled facility when not in use. 2 wd, I don't need fwd. it's flat here.

A new F20 costs almost 30 grand today with 4wd and a 60" deck. This one has the optional 72 inch deck with hydraulic lift and tilt. I' haven't finalized any price but I believe I should get it for under 5 grand. Outright. I never get screwed there, besides I'm an employee. Been dealing with them for 30 years. Dealt with his late father first and now him. Know all of them personally, know their wives and kids and I even help some of them farm too. they are all farmers, even the owner, all row croppers, though Dennis (lead technician) grows sweet corn as well and I get it every year and my wife cans it. One big unrelated family.

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #4  
Is it a Max22 or eMax22. The Max 22 does not have a computer it’s a mechanically injected. Makes a difference

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #5  
I love it when the answer is to buy a different tractor....like the people that trade in their car for a new one when the tires need replacing.......
Glad you do...lol This is a forum so you can get many and diverse suggestions. To that end, have you bothered to clean and brighten the battery terminals? How old is the battery? Did you load test the battery? Have you bothered to check the water level in it? Do you ever check it? Did you clean and brighten battery ground to the frame? Always start with the obvious and easy stuff first.

BTW Harbor Freight has carbon pile load testers as well as battery terminal cleaners for cheap. I have a couple (battery post cleaners) in my tool box, cost a couple bucks each. The load tester 6-12 volt batteries costs 45 bucks, have one of those as well and they now carry the Noco Genius Li-Ion jump boxes, have one of those in my wife's Burb, just in case. Will start a Class 8 diesel truck too.

How's that for an informative post and no sarcasm, nit that my first comment was meant to be. Just offering alternatives, nothing more.

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start
Is it a Max22 or eMax22. The Max 22 does not have a computer it’s a mechanically injected. Makes a difference
It’s an emax 22 HST. The battery is new and the terminals on the cables were cleaned prior to installation on the new battery. The ground wires to frame were not cleaned but the connections looked good.

Also, I’m beginning to think the dash is kaput. I checked the ground wire for the fuel gauge and the power wires where they connect to the dash. I have power and ground to the dash for the fuel gauge but the gauge doesn’t work. Also have continuity through the fuel sending unit.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #7  
Sorry can’t help. I have a wiring diagram for the Max 22, but the Emax is a totally different animal. Hopefully someone else with knowledge will jump in.

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #8  
The ground wires to frame were not cleaned but the connections looked good.
Always start with the easiest and never assume the worst.. Just because they look good' don't mean squat. They can be corroded under the fastener or the ground lug. Take it off and clean and brighten it and re-attach it and do that with all the connections on the starter and everywhere else as well and on any Molex connectors or push connectors, clean the contacts and put some di-electric grease on them.

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start #9  
Dirty fuel filter ??
It will let it run for a while until the fuel bowl is empty, then shut down until it fills again rinse and repeat....
Check the filter and let us know:unsure:

/ Mahindra Max 22 won’t start
Dirty fuel filter ??
It will let it run for a while until the fuel bowl is empty, then shut down until it fills again rinse and repeat....
Check the filter and let us know:unsure:
It has new fuel filter.

I cleaned all the connections and used dielectric grease when I put them back together. I never saw anything that made me think “this is it”. However, tractor has started and ran until I shut it off 6 times or so.

Fuel gauge and tachometer still don’t work but at least it runs.