Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R #1  

murraya8922

Tractor
Mahindra 5145
Hey folks, pulling the trigger on my tractor in March. That's when I'm actually moving onto my land.
I've narrowed it down to the Mahindra 5145
Pros:
-Heavy heavy tank
-400 pounds stronger loader
-Test drove and really like it
-4 dealers within two hours
Cons:
-Shuttle only
-MCRD
-ECU ran engine

And Branson 4820R or H
Pros
-NO ECU
-DPF filter can "fall off" and it wouldn't effect function or warranty. (There is a factory bolt on muffler that can take it's place)
-"Cummins" KukJe? engine
-About 5 grand cheaper(HST)
-Available with hydrostatic transmission
-6 year warranty as opposed to 5

Cons
-Lesser known brand
-Only 3 dealers with 2 1/2 hours
-Aquired by TYM, so long term parts may or may not be an issue
-Lighter, but at almost 6,000 pounds with loaded tires, that's really okay
-Weaker loader, but can still lift 2,700 pounds, so I can't complain

Bottom line is that both of these machines are overkill for my 6.5 acre wooded lot, but to get the beefy loader I want I have to go big. About 40 PTO horsepower will be sufficient for a 6 tiller and that's all I'll ever need.
I will 100% be doing a lot of loader work the first couple of years, so hydro is better, but don't think that need to make or break the deal with the Mahindra being shuttle shift.

If anyone can include their experience, or more positives and negatives that I might have missed, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks as always folks. So happy I joined this forum.

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R #2  
Can't speak to the Mahindra, but can give info related to the Branson. That 20 series Branson is built on the same frame size that my 25 series is built on. If you're looking at a brand new one, it also has the "upgraded" cab like the 25 series came with.

Your 6000 lb weight estimate sounds too light to me. With a FEL and bucket on the front, and my rear tires filled, with a light box blade on the 3 pt, I'm right at 7100 lbs. I think you will be pretty close to that weight. It may not matter, but then it depends on what you're doing. For instance, I cannot drive my tractor over my septic field. Also, you may need to factor this in if you're looking at towing weights if you plan on being able to haul your tractor anywhere.

The newer Bransons (2020 and up, I think?) have a different emissions system. It's still a DOC/DPF, but they've added a butterfly valve on the exhaust outlet to close and heat up the DPF filter when the filter gets partially plugged. You do this by pressing the "regen" (or whatever they call it) on the dash. The older Bransons don't have this butterfly valve. If the one you're looking at is new, it should have the valve. Branson has redone their system so you can't just take the filter off. Well, actually you can, but the DPF warning light would be on. Disconnecting the Data Logger (we could do so on the older system) will also stop your gauges from working (temp, and tachometer that I remember-possibly more?).

But being able to forcibly increase the heat in the DPF by performing this "regen" may also mean that you never have any issues with it. The old system did not allow for any way to add additional heat to the filter.

That FEL rating is "at the pins", just so you know. The farther forward your weight is from the front pins, the less you can pick up. My loader spec is 2200 lbs at the pins, and I regularly pick up 1400-1600 lbs with it. Those are usually on pallets, etc, so those weights are quite a bit forward of the pins.

About all I can think of for now.

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R
Thank you for the response! Didn't realize they added the butterfly valve or that it shared the same frame as the 25 series.
It being mechanically injected still is a huge selling point for me.
How has yours served you and how many hours?

One point my coworker brought up to me this morning:
Distance to dealer is discussed very often, and I understand why. But what if I move from TX to ID in a few years? It's a legitimate possibility, so distance to dealer would be somewhat irrelevant at that point correct?
Only thing I can thing is that it proves that point that having lots of dealers around the country, like John Deere, is an advantage.

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R #5  
I'd probably go with the Branson if you have dealer support. The Mahindra is a nice machine but I'm not a fan of direct injection. I have a shuttle shift and I like it but I do a lot of field work. If I was doing mostly loader work, I'd go hydrostatic. I do know Mahindra has nice front end loaders.

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R #6  
Depends on how often you need your dealer to do something. So far in 5 years of ownership my Branson 3725 has not been back to the dealer. All I have had to do is regular maintenance. My dealer is 3 hours drive away but they answer email and pick up the phone and ship me the stuff I need.

My dealer also sells Mahindra and I originally wanted one. It was in the mid 30 hp range so a different model than you're looking at. While some aspects were better like a lower seat height and less effort on the HST pedals the overall build quality was not even close. The kicker for me was hearing that there'd been a number of ECU programming upgrades and I'd have to bring the tractor to the dealer to get that done. Just not practical for me.

I like my Branson and have no plans to replace it. But if I was do to it over I'd likely spend the extra $10k for a nice Kubota Grand L series. I get a lot more use out of the tractor than I expected I would and could justify the more expensive machine with more features.

With the current 20 series Branson addressed all the issues I have with mine- four range speeds instead of three, the ability to command a regen (though I have not needed to or had a problem with my DPF) and moving the front axle vent that leaks oil if you operate on slopes (not a problem for most people).

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R #7  
the Branson looks like a nice package, the Mahindra will be about 2000# heavier 1560# for tractor and the loader is heavier, that may be a + or a -. The 5145 is a tank and even without loaded tires it is very stable. if you really want HST you will have to go with the Branson, as far as loader capability there is a large difference between the Branson and the Mahindra and the weight diff makes for a whole different experience. dealer location was the main reason i did not look more closely at Branson and if you move to ID i do not think that Branson dealers are going to get easier to find. I would sit on a branson before i bought one, but looking at the specs i think i know which i would have chosen if dealer location was not an issue (still the 5145) but YMMV.

It looks like rear remotes are an option on the Branson, I would check into that before i made a decision, it may make a significant price difference.

the R4 tires are bigger on the Branson which is nice the turning radius is shorter also.

the digging depth on the FEL as well as the pin height is better on the Mahindra.

good luck either will probably do what you want. i think the HST is most likely the deciding point.

Compared to the green or orange tractors, both of my options absolutely stomp them in the dirt for significantly less money. For example, the 4044M tractor and loader only is the exact same price (recent quotes on both) as the Branson 4820H...with a tiller, box blade, brush hog, landscape rake, grapple & third function and an auger! I mean, if feels more risky, but the price difference is very significant.
I just haven't seen ANYONE on here say that they wish they didn't get a Branson, or they are junk. I believe in buy once cry once, but I also don't pay for paint and logos. Tough decision!!
I checked the resale on the Branson tractors, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they weren't too far from MSRP new. Leaning heavily towards the Branson.

/ Mahindra 5145 or Branson 4820R #9  
Both Slim and Eric have given good information. You have to consider when purchasing any new tractor that utilizes an ECM to control the ignition, fuel injection, monitor sensors, and regen cycles, puts you at the mercy or beholden to a dealer. Code readers, check engine lights, limp mode all become a reality at some point in that tractors future.
My tractor is used for farming. The thought of dealing with check engine lights and or limp mode during the busy season of mowing , haying, or spraying is not even remotely doable, even if under full warranty. I bought the Branson brand almost exclusively for the reason of the simplicity of the mechanical injection and no ECM. I have owned it now for 18 months and have logged over 300 hours. Buying a tractor with a small market share certainly a risk, fortunately no regrets, solid robust tractor.

the Branson looks like a nice package, the Mahindra will be about 2000# heavier 1560# for tractor and the loader is heavier, that may be a + or a -. The 5145 is a tank and even without loaded tires it is very stable. if you really want HST you will have to go with the Branson, as far as loader capability there is a large difference between the Branson and the Mahindra and the weight diff makes for a whole different experience. dealer location was the main reason i did not look more closely at Branson and if you move to ID i do not think that Branson dealers are going to get easier to find. I would sit on a branson before i bought one, but looking at the specs i think i know which i would have chosen if dealer location was not an issue (still the 5145) but YMMV.

It looks like rear remotes are an option on the Branson, I would check into that before i made a decision, it may make a significant price difference.

the R4 tires are bigger on the Branson which is nice the turning radius is shorter also.

the digging depth on the FEL as well as the pin height is better on the Mahindra.

good luck either will probably do what you want. i think the HST is most likely the deciding point.
You said it perfectly! I am fairly certain I'll go with the Branson strictly based on the no ECU and mechanical injection alone. Especially with the low market share type of tractors. I've heard the majority of problems being electrical with these. A tractor should be simple. Diesel engine and hydraulics. I want it to work and be able to be fixed without a computer. Don't feel like I'm asking too much, ha.
I'm going to "test drive" Bransons as soon as I get off of this job, and I'll make up my mind then.
Thank you for response and knowledge.