Mahindra 4550 Longevity?

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity? #1  

Lt. El Diablo

Tractor
Kioti dk5510
I would like to hear about 4550 owners experience with this model. I farm 400 acres of hilly ozark land, approximately half wooded. I have always used utility tractors in the 40 to 50 hp range. I previously owned a Mahindra 4500. It was a 2001 model. I traded it in 2019 for a Kioti. The Mahindra was very reliable. The Kioti is a tier 4 nightmare.

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity? #2  
We have a 4540 and also live in the Ozarks. Great tractor for work. No bells no whistles just a beefy tractor with grunt and weight. The 45XX series seems to fill a niche in our area. Its a cool mix of farming and utility. Its not a tractor for everyone but I'm pretty old school and dont mind not having tons of features. My work truck is a old F250 7.3 Powerstroke with a ZF5 trans so I'm used to slow and low.

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity? #3  
Kioti seems to be having emissions issues as of late... Personally, I believe they are all reliable so long as you maintain them properly. The new stuff is way too complex for this old fart.

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity?
We have a 4540 and also live in the Ozarks. Great tractor for work. No bells no whistles just a beefy tractor with grunt and weight. The 45XX series seems to fill a niche in our area. Its a cool mix of farming and utility. Its not a tractor for everyone but I'm pretty old school and dont mind not having tons of features. My work truck is a old F250 7.3 Powerstroke with a ZF5 trans so I'm used to slow and low.

Thanks! My 4500 was purchased used in 08 with 300 hours. We kept it for 11 years. I brush hog 200 acres a year, along with a fair amount of loader and grapple work. It had an 8 speed transmission. I think it may be the same as the 4550. It was unsyncronized, but I could shift it while moving just fine, with an occasional grind. The only dislike was it was 2 wheel drive. I had 3 4 wheel drive tractors in previous years. The platform and rear end on the 4550 looks identical to the 4500.

One of my concerns is radiator clogging and overheating while brush hogging. Another is ease of radiator cleaning. The old mahindra 4500 never overheated; just blow it out at the end of the day. My Kioti, on the other hand, being turbo charged and a 2600 rpm required for 540 pto, takes in an enormous amount of air. Depending on conditions, I have to brush off the hood screens every 30 minutes to an hour. Some conditions require the staging of a leaf blower near the field I'm working in. How is the 4540?

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity? #7  
One of my concerns is radiator clogging and overheating while brush hogging. Another is ease of radiator cleaning. The old mahindra 4500 never overheated; just blow it out at the end of the day. My Kioti, on the other hand, being turbo charged and a 2600 rpm required for 540 pto, takes in an enormous amount of air. Depending on conditions, I have to brush off the hood screens every 30 minutes to an hour. Some conditions require the staging of a leaf blower near the field I'm working in. How is the 4540?
Funny that was one thing I was going to mention. No radiator screen on the 45xx series and its kinda difficult to get to the radiator to get it cleaned properly. We dont brush hog so for us its not a big deal.

Funny that was one thing I was going to mention. No radiator screen on the 45xx series and its kinda difficult to get to the radiator to get it cleaned properly. We dont brush hog so for us its not a big deal.
Thanks again. How about the tier 4. Does it work as advertised, ie no interaction from the operator? Any issues with the EGR system, computer issues, etc? I am in Wright County, 50 miles from a dealership in Webster County and 50 miles from a dealership in Texas County; hauling fees for those dealerships are $4.50 per loaded mile. I have had excellent service from both, hauling was cheaper back then.

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity? #9  
Interesting. My dealer charges me nothing to haul if one of mine has to go in. He's 30 miles from me.

/ Mahindra 4550 Longevity? #10  
Thanks again. How about the tier 4. Does it work as advertised, ie no interaction from the operator? Any issues with the EGR system, computer issues, etc? I am in Wright County, 50 miles from a dealership in Webster County and 50 miles from a dealership in Texas County; hauling fees for those dealerships are $4.50 per loaded mile. I have had excellent service from both, hauling was cheaper back then.
We are on the Mo border and we bought ours in in Mo. Our dealer charges about the same to haul and delivery was free. DOC emissions have been around for 30 years. Basically a catalytic converter designed for diesel. No sensors or anything. Tractor seems to be a pretty basic common rail diesel.