Mahindra 4540

/ Mahindra 4540 #1  

swampy6

Gold Member
Foothills of The Adirondacks, New York State
Tractor
Mahindra 4540 4WD
We bought the Mahindra 4540 about 14 months ago along with the backhoe, so far the only things it needed was a code update and one of the clamps needed tightening to stop a small antifreeze leak.

I've put in enough trails around the house for walking and the UTV but since getting the 4540 we've been removing the stumps and making them wider. A member of this site (gasifier) gave me some good tips on digging stumps since this is our first tractor.

We bought a plow for it with the third function kit which makes plowing our driveway much easier. We just added some 4000 pound pallet forks so some of our firewood will go on pallets. I'll try and find some pics of plowing last winter. 100_0520.JPG100_0521.JPG100_0525.JPGDSC02174.JPGDSC02177.JPGDSC02173.JPG

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 4540 #2  
Nice tractor. As a new tractor owner myself (15 months), I've also been learning how to use it properly. I continue to find new users for it all the time. I ended up getting a stump grinder to deal with stumps. My property has an abundance of old stumps from previous owners. Enjoy your tractor!

/ Mahindra 4540
I like the job the 4540 does plowing compared with the truck, here are a few more pics of some plowing last year. The area coming through the pines is wider since we took more pine down.

It's my first experience with a tractor so hopefully it stays good. How's the 2555 HST treating you?

IMG_0094.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0096.JPG

/ Mahindra 4540
The 4540 4WD is what i’m leaning towards. Glad to see, it seems to be a work horse with little problems.

Yes, so far for us it's been a very good tractor. The worst part was waiting for the third function kit to come in but from what I was told (if I remember) it was new for this tractor and the company that makes it for Mahindra didn't have a sku number until a guy from the shop we bought the tractor from went down the ladder and talked to a guy on the floor, he gave them the sku number pronto. It was nice that we didn't have any big snowfalls until after the plow was put on.

I'm glad we paid the extra for the third function kit and the plow, it's nice to angle the plow left or right from the tractor seat when your headed through the woods to your wood stacks.

If you don't mind shifting, the 4540 with 4 wheel drive is a beast. I'll be getting out of my 50's soon and the shifting doesn't bother me.............yet.

/ Mahindra 4540 #7  
Nice work there swampy6! Looks good. Im hoping after working off and on for another 2-3 weeks on the trails I'll have 60-70% of them in nice decent shape. Hopefully the snow will hold off that long. Looks like it will. I'm hoping that after I get them all in decent shape, at least by the middle of next summer, I will really be able to start spending a lot more time enjoying them. Both on horseback, and I'm going to find an inexpensive, used four wheeler or side by side. Can't wait. Maybe if I can rent one of those 14-17 ton excavators with a hydraulic thumb when one gets freed up, I can have them all done before the snow flies! That would be great!

/ Mahindra 4540
Nice work there swampy6! Looks good. Im hoping after working off and on for another 2-3 weeks on the trails I'll have 60-70% of them in nice decent shape. Hopefully the snow will hold off that long. Looks like it will. I'm hoping that after I get them all in decent shape, at least by the middle of next summer, I will really be able to start spending a lot more time enjoying them. Both on horseback, and I'm going to find an inexpensive, used four wheeler or side by side. Can't wait. Maybe if I can rent one of those 14-17 ton excavators with a hydraulic thumb when one gets freed up, I can have them all done before the snow flies! That would be great!

You'll like them once you get them the way you want them, I'm lucky that on the house lot we're mostly sand.

/ Mahindra 4540 #9  
Great model id highly recommend this over the other mid size models even in the Mahindra line... the 4550 is also a good choice with 8 more hp and a set of rear remotes standard

/ Mahindra 4540
Great model id highly recommend this over the other mid size models even in the Mahindra line... the 4550 is also a good choice with 8 more hp and a set of rear remotes standard

I can't remember the other model Mahindra we looked at but after talking with the guy who works on the Mahindra tractors at the dealer and another guy who works there but on chainsaws ( has a tractor) they both liked the 4540 out of all the Mahindra's on the lot so after a night of talking about it we bought it.

We have about three more trails that need widening before winter hits along with another area to be cleared of some small trees so I can drop the backhoe for the winter.

I use to take out the stumps to ground level with my old Stihl 075 or the 660 but with the backhoe it's much easier. :drink: