Mahindra 3550 Problems

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems #1  

jb1390

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550, Hitachi 120-2
I bought a 3550 last spring, shortly after they were introduced. In general I've been happy with the performance of the machine, but there have been a couple issues that have been present since it was new, with no news on a permanent fix.

I dropped off my machine at the dealer on July 14 for a hydraulic valve install, and to look at both these issues under warranty. It is now August 14, and nothing has yet been fixed on my tractor. The dealer has been better about communicating with me recently, after I made it clear I was unhappy when I was told the tractor would be returned to me with both these issues still present. I have since refused to pick up the machine until at least Problem #1 is corrected - due to the host of engine issues that can result from overcooling.

I know there is at least one other user on TBN with the same issues, same model. Not too thrilled that it's been at the dealer a month, with nothing done so far (except me making payments). Additionally, the hydraulic valve kit was incorrect, so it'll require another trip when the correct part is delivered.

Problem 1: The engine has not been warming up properly. The gauge has rarely moved in the time I've had it, most of the time reading cold. I first asked a question of my dealer and Mahindra Service on May 1st, 2015 after I saw another thread about overcooling. They couldn't tell me where the gauge should point (and told me to put the machine under load when it was cold to help it warm up - which is bs), so I did my own measurements on the outside of the thermostat housing. After measuring a temperature of 130 degrees after operating, I called Mahindra Service directly. The rep there told me he had asked the dealer to check the operating temperature, and it should be north of 160 degrees. I never heard anything from the dealer, and wanted to check the temperature inside the housing to ensure accuracy, and was able to find out that Dot #2 on the gauge is 170 degrees, and could only be reached after heavy usage on a warm day. The dealer has since agreed with my findings, but won't do any work on the machine without prior approval from Mahindra.

Problem 2: The tractor goes into "limp mode" due to 50 overpressurization counts on the fuel rail. When it limps, the engine is severely limited in power. This has happened 3 or 4 times that I can remember, and each time requires a trip to the dealer to have the computer reset. No word on what is causing it, or what will be done to fix it. This problem is an annoyance, but I don't think that the tractor will suffer any as a result of this issue - I personally think the problem is in the software.

I really hope these problems are corrected soon. I generally hate tractor bashing threads, and I'm not trying to hate on Mahindra in general. I really am happy with the overall design and performance of the machine. I hope these issues can be resolved quickly, to make me into a happy customer again.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems
I called the dealer this morning for an update. Nothing has moved, they are "waiting for a response from Mahindra". It's been almost 4 months since I first asked a question on operating temperature, and it's been physically at the shop for 5 weeks.

This is ridiculous. Mahindra needs to step up, and at least offer an explanation.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems #3  
I called the dealer this morning for an update. Nothing has moved, they are "waiting for a response from Mahindra". It's been almost 4 months since I first asked a question on operating temperature, and it's been physically at the shop for 5 weeks.

This is ridiculous. Mahindra needs to step up, and at least offer an explanation.

I would reach out to Mahindra...having just bought one (2555HST), this would frustrate the tar out of me!

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems #4  
Myself, I would be getting the name and number of who it is at MUSA that is supposed to be calling them back, then I would call and raise cane with that person personally and try going over that person's head within MUSA explaining that they are holding up the dealer from fixing the issue. The dealer can't really badger MUSA the way a customer can get away with...

It sounds like your dealer has done all they can without causing themselves issues with MUSA. It is up to MUSA to sort it out, the dealer is just the middle man trying to keep both you and MUSA happy. You contacting MUSA directly removes the "filter" and lets them know just how displeased you are with their resolutions to your issues up to this point.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems
Myself, I would be getting the name and number of who it is at MUSA that is supposed to be calling them back, then I would call and raise cane with that person personally and try going over that person's head within MUSA explaining that they are holding up the dealer from fixing the issue. The dealer can't really badger MUSA the way a customer can get away with...

It sounds like your dealer has done all they can without causing themselves issues with MUSA. It is up to MUSA to sort it out, the dealer is just the middle man trying to keep both you and MUSA happy. You contacting MUSA directly removes the "filter" and lets them know just how displeased you are with their resolutions to your issues up to this point.

I did try contacting MUSA directly a while back, when the dealer seemed resistant to investigating my tractor, and seemed to indicate to just run it cold (not an option for me long term). I sent an email to the rep, but never heard back.

I talked to my dealer late this afternoon, and here is what I was told:

The 35 series have an issue with the coolant systems allowing too much flow (I believe through the EGR), hence the thermostat cannot do its job. This issue has been corrected in a few cases through the addition of a restrictor for this part of the coolant circuit, but Mahindra is hesitant to instruct a dealer to perform this type of repair without specific parts etc. Mahindra is designing a kit that will fit the 35 series, and all of them will need to be updated with this kit when it's introduced. They said to expect it sometime in November. In the meantime, they said just run it-especially since it's warm outside.

At least this is some kind of answer. I'm still frustrated at being left in the dark for so long. Though, who knows, maybe my insistence that this be fixed is what forced the design of the coolant kit for everybody.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems #6  
Lots of tractor guys are NOT internet users. So I'd say there is probably 50 folk at their dealers complaining for every one on the internet. I'm sure you were a voice in the choir.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems #7  
Has anything else happened? I can see if I can get some Mahindra service/customer service people to read this.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems
Has anything else happened? I can see if I can get some Mahindra service/customer service people to read this.

Nothing has moved in a couple weeks, though I have the tractor back and theoretically I'll be reimbursed in some way for an extra trip to the dealer, since I provided the transportation, and will again provide the transportation when the kit is ready for installation.

I'm still frustrated at the handling of the situation. I first asked a question about proper operating temperature on May 1st, and I'm clearly not the only customer that's had an issue. I think the final answer (a known design defect, which will require a kit to correct, and time to develop said kit) is a fine answer, and I wouldn't be upset if I was given this information early in the process. However, to have over 3 months elapse with no answer, when the tractor was physically at the dealer for more than a month is extremely poor customer service.

I was hoping that posting a thread would get some attention, and would not mind at all if it was shared with Mahindra. I'm not interested in bashing a particular manufacturer, and I recognize that they all have their issues. I think Mahindra should have caught this design flaw before they delivered the tier 4 series 35 machines, but I understand that not all bugs can be caught. It's the response when these bugs arise that show the true colors of the company, and in my opinion, the communication to both dealers and customers was/is lacking, especially for a $40k machine.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems #9  
I have the same issue with the temp, but never really noticed it was a "problem". It moves up about a quarter of the way if it's warm outside and I am mowing or using the backhoe. But casual roaming around it stays on the cold side. I never measured the actual temp, and it doesn't seem to cause me any issues. Last night I was simply moving some light things around with the bucket and it was 45 degree outside, and I had plenty of heat in the cab regardless of the gauge reading. Luckily I have not had the fuel rail pressure issue.

Does anyone know how to reset the 50 hour service reminder? I can't seem to find the procedure in the manual. I saw one here for an older model but wonder if it's the same.

/ Mahindra 3550 Problems
I have the same issue with the temp, but never really noticed it was a "problem". It moves up about a quarter of the way if it's warm outside and I am mowing or using the backhoe. But casual roaming around it stays on the cold side. I never measured the actual temp, and it doesn't seem to cause me any issues. Last night I was simply moving some light things around with the bucket and it was 45 degree outside, and I had plenty of heat in the cab regardless of the gauge reading. Luckily I have not had the fuel rail pressure issue.

Does anyone know how to reset the 50 hour service reminder? I can't seem to find the procedure in the manual. I saw one here for an older model but wonder if it's the same.

Jeff,
I would suggest contacting your dealer to be sure they are aware of the fix for the cooling issue and implement the fix when Mahindra introduces the kit. Mine does not have any "symptoms" either, but the low temperatures are a longevity issue, due to increased potential for wet stacking, cold oil temperatures not boiling off water, etc.

It's really easy to reset the service hour count. It's in the owner's manual as well, but basically you take off the fuse panel cover, and use an extra fuse to short circuit the "reset" slot. This will reset the count for service.