Mahindra 3016 Working Ability?

/ Mahindra 3016 Working Ability? #1  

kantuckid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4820R
I'm looking at 1533, 1538 and 3016 shuttle tractors w/FEL. I've looked at many, many videos of 3016 tractors working.
My real question is just how that model will handle large logs common on our place?
I've been using a 4WD Kioti DK40 for ~ 12 years which does the job but given the terrain here in E KY I'm raising the question before I buy my next tractor. I'm well aware of the admonition to buy larger if you need it but have found a nice 3016 I like.
3016 owners----Please share your 3016 pictures or comments. Thanks!

/ Mahindra 3016 Working Ability? #2  
When you say "large logs", you need to specify the size and species. Some folks think 12" diameter logs that are six feet long are "large". I move "not large" logs that weigh over 1,000 lbs.
Look here to get a good idea of what your logs may weigh, then you'll have an idea for tractor size: Log Weight Calculator at WOODWEB
Note that you can skid (drag) larger logs than you can carry.

/ Mahindra 3016 Working Ability?
Thanks for the instructional. I'm 73 and a life long woodworker. I don't just work in the woods, I make stuff. I carve, turn and cabinet work, so on. I like to think I'm a pretty good chair maker- my "style" is Appalachian , hickory bark bottom/back chairs.
We have lived on this land since 1978. I mostly cut falls and selected trees for harvest. I have operated my Woodmizer LT15 manual sawmill for ~ 12 years and used local sawmills before that for my personal supply. I stated large logs, why not go with that? (I get it that this IS! the internet. Additionally, I don't know many loggers that run around in the woods with a log sitting on a loader? I have a good amount of 2nd growth and mostly 3rd growth. Poplars run up to 30" @ breast height, red,white, chestnut oaks a few larger with one tree that fell during heavy rains that are all too common these days and too big for my largest chainsaw and also too big for my mill. My DK40 on the level asks for the big guys to be bucked before towing them. I use a winch or my tractor to place large logs on my mill if no helpers to take a cant hook. try and find a teen age kid to help, that's a good one these days and I did kids for a living, so not down on them.
Fact is I have some oak logs "looking at me" in front of the mill that will go ~24" small end. You have to sort of sneak up on them as the LT15 is ~ 28" limit middle of a log. CincyFlyer, this is not my 1st rodeo as you can see?
FWIW, I'm a tree freak and wood poor, as they say, HA! The tech school I'm retired from taught lumber grading in what is the 2nd largest hardwood lumber market in the world, Morehead, KY. That's about all there is around here. I have log scales, lumber charts and Woodweb is bookmarked on this puter, thank you...
For the time being I'm mainly into PT on my 2nd hip replacement and hopefully the doc says GO! at 6 weeks checkup on 8/28.
In a manner of speaking lots of things, logs included are too big for my recovering hip?
Now, back to the question at hand? 3016 tractors...

/ Mahindra 3016 Working Ability? #4  
"I stated large logs, why not go with that?"
Well, my idea of large logs cannot be handled by my 2540, let alone something smaller. Which is why I asked. Thanks for taking me to school.

I'd buy an old skidder if I was into the business but I'm past the entreprenurial age and inclination. just want to pull a big log on my woods roads. I've switched to big as large got me in trouble-HA!
I have also arrived at that place where age says heavy cants coming off the mill say back pain!, sciatica.
I've moved on from the 3016 notion. It really is not enough tractor for my jobs. If I only raised a garden I'd get by fine at that size.
The DK40 I have now is 3,836#'s without a loader and adequate except lacks a FEL, that I should have gone for long ways back.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 3016 Working Ability? #6  
I've carried 24" x 14 foot long pine logs with my forks.

Given our handy, dandy calculation link at hand, I used eastern white pine, 24" large end/20" small end @ 14' to get 1,385#'s on that log. My largest logs in oak bucked to 10-12' (cut for grade) will often be twice that weight. Not the typical log however, just the butt cut. I've moved on from the 3016 as the better choice for my use. I was sincere in looking at one though as it will do most of my jobs and I found a dandy one to buy too.
The price points group up in the used market for larger tractors vs. smaller, even in compact models.