Mowing M9540 Pto vibrates

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #21  
Good stuff Daryl. Thanks for the clarity.

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #22  
They can and do bend and twist, often without any collateral damage or leakage. I have no idea if this one is or not. I suggested that the shaft be checked to see if it is bent, which is an easy check before tearing into the PTO unit. Preconceived notions about the nature of a failure can lead to wasted time and needless expense.

I'v e never seen one bent or broken but I imagine that any degree of abuse is possible. Because the rear case cover is a casting, I would assume (maybe wrongly) that the casting would fail before the shaft would.

The only 'preconceived' notion is what the op listed, nothing more. Not sure where you came up with that comment but it don't hold water with me.

The output end is heat treated , case hardened and stress relieved (normalized) so breaking it would entail a fracture, not a twist. I'd sure like to see a picture of a twisted one, do you have that or is that conjecture on your part?

Not here to argue, just present the facts and the not so apparent cause as I see it and I'm experienced with tear down and replacement of components having done it before.

Not a peep from the OP that I can see, neither on here or on OTT and I just looked about 2 minutes ago.

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #23  
Daryl, I'll dig thru my 4 wheelin pics and maybe find one that applies. I've saw many axle shaft and drive shaft splines twisted. As much as 4 or 5 splines on a 30 spline shaft. Without breakage. Sometimes it's so extreme you struggle to get them out of the third member or female slip yoke.

I've also saw them shear like you sawed them. In those cases the splines are always twisted first.

I think Rick's referral to preconceived notions was to start with simple tests first. Very easy in this case to check the shaft. Park nose downhill so you don't lose fluid. Takes 30 seconds to pull the shaft.

I call this concept the "K.I.S.S. Principle".

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #24  
Like I said, I never had one fail but then I don't abuse the driveline (pto) either. Easy enough to do. Downhill park downhill, pull the external snap clip and pull the stub but that still don't tell you of any teeth are sheared because you cannot see them anyway.

Of course that only works on a 2 speed 2 shaft pto. The single 540 don't come out like that, the retaining circlip is internal on the forward end of the stub. Removal of that entails disassembly of the rear pto case cover anyway.

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #25  
Yep. That cover isn't very hard to remove. But I'd sure look at the shaft first since it's so easy to do.

I'm thinking, based on your experiences with the OP, that we'll never know...... :)

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #26  
I'v e never seen one bent or broken but I imagine that any degree of abuse is possible. Because the rear case cover is a casting, I would assume (maybe wrongly) that the casting would fail before the shaft would.

The only 'preconceived' notion is what the op listed, nothing more. Not sure where you came up with that comment but it don't hold water with me.

The output end is heat treated , case hardened and stress relieved (normalized) so breaking it would entail a fracture, not a twist. I'd sure like to see a picture of a twisted one, do you have that or is that conjecture on your part?

Not here to argue, just present the facts and the not so apparent cause as I see it and I'm experienced with tear down and replacement of components having done it before.

Not a peep from the OP that I can see, neither on here or on OTT and I just looked about 2 minutes ago.

If I say something can and does happen that means I have seen it and probably repaired it. I do not have pictures of every repair I have done or supervised and if you choose not to accept that I do not much care. Really. Not everyones experience matches yours, or mine in fact. Neither you nor I have seen it all and surely not done it all.
The preconceived notion that gears, bearings, etc within the housing are broken as you confidently suggested while at the same time telling me a shaft cannot twist or bend. Completely ignoring the suggestion of checking the shaft for straightness and twist is nothing less than a foolish disregard for troubleshooting the quick easy checks first. The kind of methodology developed by years of having to justify spending other peoples cash wisely to get them back up and running.
The easiest way to check for a bent shaft is to turn the **** thing on with nothing attached. If it is bent the end will wobble. If it is twisted it will be in the very front of the splines just in front of the part of the splines that the implement yoke covers.

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #28  
"The easiest way to check for a bent shaft is to turn the **** thing on with nothing attached. If it is bent the end will wobble. If it is twisted it will be in the very front of the splines just in front of the part of the splines that the implement yoke covers."

Which is exactly what I suggested he do on OTT (and here). Of course the op has never replied any which way so it's all conjecture anyway.

We can dissect it every which way but loose, however, with no input from the op, it's all moot anyway and no, he never replied on OTT either.

To that end, I'm done dissecting. I need o get back to readying my equipment for harvest. and flying my drones too...lol

Lots of people pose questions on here (and there) get satisfactory solutions and never report back.

/ M9540 Pto vibrates #29