M8540 narrow no start

/ M8540 narrow no start #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I'm hoping someone on here might have an idea as to what is going on. My M8540 narrow developed some issues. The starter no longer starts by the key (had to jump the solenoid). The bi-speed turn feature quit working. The horn quit. And now it died while running and won't run anymore. So many of these things all happening at once make me think it's a wiring issue but I can't find any areas that look like they're worn through or chewed on. The fuses that control these things are fine as well. I haven't had too much time to dive into it yet but thought I would ask on here in case someone has an educated guess as to what would cause this many items to quit.

/ M8540 narrow no start #2  
Wiring harness connector pulled loose or partly loose ? That may be a tough one. I'd start at the fuse panel and see if there is anything loose around it. If you have a shop manual you may be able to look through the electrical diagrams and find a common point of failure for all those things. Geeze. That is painful thinking about it... The "ignition" switch which is not ignition of course certainly enables many things including the starter solenoid. Might most of those things you mention be enabled by that switch ?
How much age on this 8540?

/ M8540 narrow no start #3  
Could be a diode failure Robert. [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] has a strange habit of putting diodes in strange places. I have one in my harness on the left side front of one of my M's, near the starter motor.

/ M8540 narrow no start #4  
I suggest to start simple & clean/tighten all 4 battery cable connections! Also I suggest to load test the battery. Then report back if needed.

/ M8540 narrow no start #6  
I've found the best rodent deterrent are scented dryer sheets under the hood and in the cab.

/ M8540 narrow no start
Forgot to update, finally found the problem. There is a neutral safety switch in a terrible location (in the transmission behind one of the fuel tanks under the cab)that had failed.