Mowing M7060 with mulcher

/ M7060 with mulcher #11  
Jcummins,, what kind of brush were you clearing ? What gears were you running in ? Did your m70 keep up OK or did it bogg down ? Thanks again for your time guys.

It's been long enough ago, that I don't recall. For the most part this was field edges and in places cutting trails through wooded overgrowth. Some of it was pretty tall, the tractor would push it over, the mower would snap it off, but not really cut it up much, and I'd have long small trees laying on the ground. I'm certain I would be in low range, most likely in 2nd gear for the really heavy stuff. In the videos I saw, I would expect to cut that with mulcher in low range 4th gear. I've mowed heavy weedy field, not woody, with M7040 in 2nd gear high range.

/ M7060 with mulcher #13  
You may want to consider a more "industrial" tractor... And not a farm utility tractor.

Speaking from experience, running an FAE mulcher on my Massey 1652 (a tad over 40 PTO HP) ... And also running skid steer mulchers...

Mulching presents many potential hazards to your machine, including flying debris, wood chips and dust coating every inch of your machine, branches being thrown like missiles (no joke), and driving over stumps or other branches that tip up and jab at the underside of your machine.

My tractor survived the barrage with only a few scratches, a couple jab wounds underneath, and a slightly modified radiator fan (stick lodged itself in there, chipped a few fan blades.

On the other hand, the skid steer i used at the time, as well as my current track machine, are much better protected from those types of incidental contact.

Nothing against the M7060... It's a nice machine. But if you're buying a machine primarily to run a mulcher, you'll either need to do extensive modification to protect it, or instead, buy a more industrial machine with thicker metal and better native protection. Also consider making sure whatever tractor you get has a good cooling system. You'll be operating at peak RPM for extended periods, putting constant loads on the engine, in a dirty dusty environment.

The compact Kubota's I've had experience with (L3540 HSTC & L5240 HSTC) had a tendency to overheat easier than my Massey. That's not a knock to Kubota or a nod to Massey (Iseki in my case)... Just pointing out that different machines may be better equipped to dissipate excessive heat. You don't want to have to stop every hour to cool down the machine or introduce potential long term damage to your engine block. Interestingly, the Bobcat i ran while mulching had a Kubota engine and had overheating problems also...

Good luck!

/ M7060 with mulcher
Thank you TSO, I'm familiar with the undercarriage damage/ problems. Been running a compact John Deere with shredder. And problems with dust. The tractor I go with will do about 50/50. Mowing, dirt work, and brush clearing. Been doing tractor work for 17 years now and hope to do it another 10. Don't want to spend too much money retirement money. Lol ,,,,what size mulcher were you using on your Massey ? How big was the brush you were clearing ? What gears did you run in ? **** I'm full of questions huh ? Just trying to get some info so I can make a better decision. Thank you for your kind help.

/ M7060 with mulcher #15  
Thank you TSO, I'm familiar with the undercarriage damage/ problems. Been running a compact John Deere with shredder. And problems with dust. The tractor I go with will do about 50/50. Mowing, dirt work, and brush clearing. Been doing tractor work for 17 years now and hope to do it another 10. Don't want to spend too much money retirement money. Lol ,,,,what size mulcher were you using on your Massey ? How big was the brush you were clearing ? What gears did you run in ? **** I'm full of questions huh ? Just trying to get some info so I can make a better decision. Thank you for your kind help.

I believe it was the FAE model "UML/LOW" and is rated for 60-100 hp. It is a 60" Cut, 72" overall, weighs around 2100 lbs. This mulcher belongs to another TBN member, KenB2920, and we had joined forces on one of our clearing jobs. His L5240 was down at the time so he ran the mulcher on my machine. My machine was likely underpowered to get the full potential out of the machine. On my tractor, it excelled at "under 3" sized material. It has more and "smaller" teeth than the skid-steer "Bobcat/FECON" model you see in the picture. The more/smaller teeth on the FAE produced a finer chip bed result, but had the tendency to dull faster. In the picture, you will see half of what we were mulching. Those are mostly soft wood trees (aspen, river-birch, poplar, etc). They were the left-overs that were too large to safely use the brush-hog mowers on. However, not-pictured was the other half of the material we were cutting, which was a mix of ash, oak, and other hard varieties. Both machines moved substantially slower through the hard woods (not surprisingly), especially when trying to "fine-mulch" what was already taken down.

For that job we didn't take down anything 6" and above (that was the particular requirement for that phase).

Without a doubt, the skid-steer unit was much more productive than the tractor unit. Having it mounted on the loader offered much better flexibility and functionality, and because it was larger and had more power behind it, it tackled larger material much easier. Also, you could safely take it into places that the tractor unit would/should not go, simply because you'd present hazards to the rear of the tractor. But with that said, the tractor mounted unit was very efficient once you learned what type of material you should use it for, and the best method of attack.

My Massey 1652 is a Hydrostat. So it was mainly used in Low range and occasionally in Medium range.

The point of particular danger with this unit... is that if you have a small tree/branch that ends up getting under the unit, it actually propels it forward (toward & under the tractor, towards the front of the tractor). And it propels it with substantial force. It can cause some serious injury or damage if the conditions allow.

Here's the link to the FAE models: UML/LOW

IMG-20151111-WA0021.jpg

Last edited: