M62 TLB wheel spacers

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers #1  

BeaconWoods

Tractor
JD
Shortly after my 4720 broke in half I realized that I needed a new tractor. So, we looked around a bit and settled on a Kubota M62 TLB. Great machine. Love it so far. Since we have a lot of hills, I would like to get the rear wheels spaced out a bit. The M62 must be a newer model since I cannot find anything about this out there and none of the wheel spacer sources have it in their lists. I even called Unverferth directly. They said I would have to measure it up and they would custom make some. Looking at it and measuring with my crude instruments, it appears to be an 8 bolt (lugs actually) pattern on an 8 inch circle with a 6 inch center hole. Does this happen to be the same as any other Kubotas, or other brand for that matter? If so I could simply order spacers for that model tractor. I have a set of Unverferth 6 inchers on my JD 3720. Made a whole new tractor out of it.

Thanks much.

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers #2  
Congrats on your new tractor (err TLB). That is a nice machine, I got a chance to operate one for a bit last month and pretty much loved it.

Regarding wheel spacers, have you looked for spacers for a Kubota M59? They should be the same part.

Also, do you have your rears filled? That would help a lot with stability, and also probably the ONE gripe I had about the M62.

I was digging out a stump and felt
that the backhoe was almost too powerful for the machine, it easily pushed the rear around. I'd think with filled rears you'd minimize this to some extent and also make it more stabile.

The one I was using also had the new cab on it so that added some weight as well. Aside from that it was pretty much my dream machine! Congrats, there is nothing else in that class of tractors.

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers #3  
Wheel spacers were available at one time for the M59 back when it first came out. Kubota listed spacers and weights both - they were an accessory back in 2008 that we were considering when buying the tractor. We decided to hold off on that accessory just to see how it worked without them. Easy to add if necessary, but all things being equal there is also an advantage to narrowness and lighter weight. After all, the tractor already weighs 8000 lbs. I remember looking at a picture of the wheel spacers and noting that they were solid, only an inch or two thick, and quite heavy.
Be interesting to see if they are still available and if the M62 is the same axle.
rScotty

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers
[/QUOTE]
Also, do you have your rears filled? That would help a lot with stability, and also probably the ONE gripe I had about the M62.
[/QUOTE]

I agree on having the rears filled. The dealer recommended I try it first without as it is a pretty heavy machine for its size. After operating a few hours I have decided I will get it done. The dealer recommended a place that uses something like windshield washer fluid because it is non corrosive. Another guy I talked with said he had his filled with beet juice. He says it weighs in at around 10 pounds per gallon while the windshield washer stuff comes in a bit over 8 and is non corrosive. I had never heard of that - might do a bit more investigating.

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers #5  
Another guy I talked with said he had his filled with beet juice. He says it weighs in at around 10 pounds per gallon while the windshield washer stuff comes in a bit over 8 and is non corrosive. I had never heard of that - might do a bit more investigating.

That's really common, and a trade name seems to be "Rimgard" which is what I had mine filled with about 5 or so years ago. It's also non corrosive, long lasting, doesn't freeze, and isn't an environmental hazard if the tire blows and you lose it all. A lot of people don't care about the environmental aspect of it but it was a big determining factor for me.
I believe it added 1,100lbs to my rears.

Edit: The disadvantage is that it's considerably more expensive depending on where you get it.

Last edited:
   / M62 TLB wheel spacers #6  
[/QUOTE]
I agree on having the rears filled. The dealer recommended I try it first without as it is a pretty heavy machine for its size. After operating a few hours I have decided I will get it done. The dealer recommended a place that uses something like windshield washer fluid because it is non corrosive. Another guy I talked with said he had his filled with beet juice. He says it weighs in at around 10 pounds per gallon while the windshield washer stuff comes in a bit over 8 and is non corrosive. I had never heard of that - might do a bit more investigating.[/QUOTE]

There's always pros and cons. I'm sure there are soils and tractors that work better with the rears filled. On the M59 I prefer not to have filled tires, but that's probably because of the ground that I work in is mostly scree, sand, rock, and gravel in the mountains. Up here the working room is tight, the ground is shifty, and nothing is ever level. Having a lighter tractor is a big advantage. The M59 can work comfortably on slopes that cause the much heavier 310 to slide and could cause it to collapse an embankment.

True, there are are time s when I'm backhoeing and try something with the bucket in a way that the leverage starts to throw the tractor around...but the solution that works for me is not to fill the tires, but instead not to hoe in that manner. There's a learning curve; it's controllable. And there are times when it is handy to move the tractor around with the hoe.
YMMV,
rScotty

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers #7  
I agree on having the rears filled. The dealer recommended I try it first without as it is a pretty heavy machine for its size. After operating a few hours I have decided I will get it done. The dealer recommended a place that uses something like windshield washer fluid because it is non corrosive. Another guy I talked with said he had his filled with beet juice. He says it weighs in at around 10 pounds per gallon while the windshield washer stuff comes in a bit over 8 and is non corrosive. I had never heard of that - might do a bit more investigating.[/QUOTE]

There's always pros and cons. I'm sure there are soils and tractors that work better with the rears filled. On the M59 I prefer not to have filled tires, but that's probably because of the ground that I work in is mostly scree, sand, rock, and gravel in the mountains. Up here the working room is tight, the ground is shifty, and nothing is ever level. Having a lighter tractor is a big advantage. The M59 can work comfortably on slopes that cause the much heavier 310 to slide and could cause it to collapse an embankment.

True, there are are time s when I'm backhoeing and try something with the bucket in a way that the leverage starts to throw the tractor around...but the solution that works for me is not to fill the tires, but instead not to hoe in that manner. There's a learning curve; it's controllable. And there are times when it is handy to move the tractor around with the hoe.
YMMV,
rScotty[/QUOTE]

The photos, show my weights for the L39. Two on inside or rim two on outside, for a total total #750 lbs. The Back Hoe makes it fairly easy to install and remove them.
I still can pick the tractor up with the hoe and move it around. With all the other stuff on it it is a bit over 8,000 lbs, and that is about as heavy as practical. An M59 or M62, should be kept around 10,000 lbs. Washer fluid is fine, Beet juice is not needed as tires are decent size and as said, the TLB's are heavier than the avg. Kubota.
I prefer wheel weights/ spacers over +1,000 lb filled tires.
I used carbon steel rounds, but Dura-Bar this will be cheaper, easier to have machined.
Give you business to a local machine shop. Most are hungry.
Peterson Steel - Providing Dura-Bar; Continuous Cast Iron Bar Stock Steel Alternative
PS The TLB's seem fairly stable. Plowing my icy drive, I slid over a 4' embankment. Without the weights and addition wheel spacing it would have gone over, but the slope was at least 45 degrees, and it did not roll.(thankfully)'

Attachments

• P1030281 (1024x768).jpg
    P1030281 (1024x768).jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 304
  • P1030250.jpg
    P1030250.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 478
  • P1010180.JPG
    P1010180.JPG
    946.5 KB · Views: 244
  • P1010167.jpg
    P1010167.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
   / M62 TLB wheel spacers #8  
The M62 being typically a backhoe flavor tractor, I'm a little surprised you plan using it on steep ground. "Steep" is of course very relative. I operate mainly in WV among places I never go because of steepness. On a MF2660 low profile specifically aimed (by me) at use on steep ground I keep my rear tires 8ft apart at outer edges but could go another foot if I had to. No spacers involved. Doing so would give me more margin on very steep slopes but also preclude hauling on most trailers, etc. I find the 8ft spacing a good compromise. Depends a LOT on your cg and how low to the ground the whole machine is. As a rough rule of thumb, I say make your outer rear tire edges 4 times the amount of your PTO off the ground. That puts you in a far more stable situation than anything Kubota delivers new. Also what do you want to do on steeper ground -- bush hog ? On smaller B2150 Kubotas I have put on 6" spacers each side made by Bora which work perfectly and made a total daylight/dark difference between going on steeper ground at all or not. I consider 40% slope to be comfortable steep, anything less than that not steep at all and anything above 50% not worth risking my life and machinery to mess with.
Bora sold me an excellent product for wheel spacers. If they do not yet have a model for the M62 I'll bet they would make you a set and add it to their line. They are solid chunk machined aluminum. Others are made of welded steel tubes between 2 outer plates and friends of mine have that type on an L3400. They also use solid alum spacers on an M6040. All work very well. In the 3 cases I am first-hand familiar with, all add 6" per side or 1ft increased spacing. I hear Bro-tek and Hansen are good as well as the Bora units I own. I found Unverferth willing to make me a set for $572 per wheel which I found absurdly high. For some reason the Orange marketeers and the Japanese just do not understand we have some steep land in the USA. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
   / M62 TLB wheel spacers
That's a major load of rocks in that bucket. Yikes!

Anyone know for sure whether the M59 and M62 have the same bolt / hub size and pattern on the rears? I am guessing that the search for spacers for the M59 will be a lot more fruitful since it has been around a while.

Thanks.

/ M62 TLB wheel spacers #10  
I have 2" spacers on my M62, night & day difference on stability. Adding fluid in the tires, half full is good & it really can stick to the ground on a hill so long as you don't lift the bucket. Drop the backhoe & put on a batwing & it oddly sticks to the hillside. The only thing I can conclude is the engine compartment & subframe are lower than what the tractor appears to be. Yes the M59 & M62 have the same bolt pattern according to the spacers I bought.

It's A LOT of work putting spacers on!!

IMG_0205.JPGIMG_0210.JPGIMG_0205.JPGIMG_0210.JPG