M62 observations and questions

/ M62 observations and questions #1  

whoodle

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 110tlb, rtv900.
I just took delivery on an M62 which is slated to replace my Jd110 tlb. Only have 30 hrs so far, but I wonder about some the operations. I had every option on the 110, and used them all in full, so I tried to mimic the setup on the m62. Backhoe huge, and yup I promptly took out the bottom panel of my garage door. Since I haven't used everthing so far, I expect to add a few questions as time goes on. The first thing that surprised me: I was pulling 30 inch diameter pine stumps that had been ageing for several years. When fresh the 110 could not budge them. The M62 did great on the aged, but could not get the fresh(they will have to wait). This question relates to a post I saw about he m59 check valves. When I grabbed a detched stump with the thumb, tucked it close to the boom so that I could lift it off the ground, I then raised the dipper to put the stump up a level. To my surprise, as I raised the dipper the boom let it sink to the ground. I do not believe the 110 would do that. It might not have lifted, but the opposing cylinder would not let loose. Can anyone tell me if I'm dreaming?

/ M62 observations and questions #2  
I had a m59 for about 5 years and a m62 for about 4, so plenty of run time on both as i used them for plumbing biz, digging deep sewers..
so as you moved the dipper away from you the boom went down? That does not sound like anything i experienced but i did not have a thumb. The thumb would probably allow you to grip something more heavy than i could, i‘ve picked up some rocks that weighed decent, but still, a thumb would let you grip/balance something heavier.

What happened when you pulled the boom back up? It does sound like the relief let go on the boom circuit. I never messed with the m62 reliefs but i did snug up some of the valves on my m59. I have a pressure guage but just kinda snugged them without it. If you got one i would check it out to see what its at, very possible its set weak. They are under the plate at backhoe control, i think you just need to take the plastic cover with 2 Phillips screws to access.

/ M62 observations and questions #3  
Have a M59 and have not experienced that. Difference of 2’ on backhoe might be the reason?

Agree both the loader and backhoe are scary strong. Mighty handy around the small hillside wooded farm.

/ M62 observations and questions
I had a m59 for about 5 years and a m62 for about 4, so plenty of run time on both as i used them for plumbing biz, digging deep sewers..
so as you moved the dipper away from you the boom went down? That does not sound like anything i experienced but i did not have a thumb. The thumb would probably allow you to grip something more heavy than i could, i‘ve picked up some rocks that weighed decent, but still, a thumb would let you grip/balance something heavier.

What happened when you pulled the boom back up? It does sound like the relief let go on the boom circuit. I never messed with the m62 reliefs but i did snug up some of the valves on my m59. I have a pressure guage but just kinda snugged them without it. If you got one i would check it out to see what its at, very possible its set weak. They are under the plate at backhoe control, i think you just need to take the plastic cover with 2 Phillips screws to access.
Boom could not lift at all with the load. Relief valve seems a likely culprit. Id love to see the dealer take care of it. Good service is pretty rare around here.

/ M62 observations and questions #5  
I agree with the above posts on my M59 - my boom won't drop to the ground pushing the dipper out.

You have a longer stick on the M62 so that's not going to help with regards to pulling power and it will put more load on the boom due to leverage.

FYI I would recommend a ripper instead of a bucket for yanking roots, I get way more power to the root with the ripper instead of moving dirt and root with a 24" bucket.

/ M62 observations and questions #7  
I just took delivery on an M62 which is slated to replace my Jd110 tlb. Only have 30 hrs so far, but I wonder about some the operations. I had every option on the 110, and used them all in full, so I tried to mimic the setup on the m62. Backhoe huge, and yup I promptly took out the bottom panel of my garage door. Since I haven't used everthing so far, I expect to add a few questions as time goes on. The first thing that surprised me: I was pulling 30 inch diameter pine stumps that had been ageing for several years. When fresh the 110 could not budge them. The M62 did great on the aged, but could not get the fresh(they will have to wait). This question relates to a post I saw about he m59 check valves. When I grabbed a detched stump with the thumb, tucked it close to the boom so that I could lift it off the ground, I then raised the dipper to put the stump up a level. To my surprise, as I raised the dipper the boom let it sink to the ground. I do not believe the 110 would do that. It might not have lifted, but the opposing cylinder would not let loose. Can anyone tell me if I'm dreaming?
Well congratulations!

We have one of the first M59s made back in 2007. We came real close to buying a JD110 because we like our JD310SG so much. But even the extra power of the 310 won't budge a fresh fir or pine stump in stony ground half the size of the 30" monster you describe. Not even if I dig around it - and of course there is no way at all to dig under it. A few times I admit to having leaned on a fresh stump with one BH tooth and peeled off sections. That's called "machine abuse" and a good way to make a good hoe into an old hoe real quick...

We have a hydraulic thumb - it is wonderful. No ripper yet. But wish we did.

On the boom falling ... what? .... My M59 backhoe valves don't let loose like that. Not sure any backhoe will. When I started reading, I thought that you were going to say the front end came off the ground.
Why would the boom drop? Are you sure it wasn't just the front end rising up? I think it must be...., aren't there check valves/relief valves set to prevent the boom falling? Maybe we ought to look in the workshop manual and see.... it's a good manual.

Now that I said that, the main boom cylinder on our M59 did have to be replaced under warranty. But not for that reason. The BH control valves are a joy to use.. Far better than the JD.

If you don't have a good dealer - or even if you do - it's a good excuse to make up a hydraulic T fittings with a 5000 psi fluid damped gauge. They are addictive to watch, too.

Welcome to the club.
rScotty

/ M62 observations and questions
A ripper would be good. I have a 16 inch bucket, but in this instance i was using a 30(with thumb). Sometimes feels like a wrecking ball on a small boat🙃. Mind that the trees we cut 8-9 years ago. As I raised the stump with the dipper, the boom cylinder released and lowered the stump to the ground with a hissing sound. I did it a couple times because it seemed like an unusual occurrence. I like the p gage idea, but I don’t really want to mess with it. For a 100k it should do 0-60 as advertised!

/ M62 observations and questions #9  
Troubling with a new machine. Hopefully get some dealer support to troubleshoot and repair.

Symptoms like a pressure relief.

I’m no expert, just know enough to get into trouble. Pressure relief valves on our kind of equipment protect from pump pressure, not dynamic external forces. By moving or forcing external loads a hydraulic circuit can see pressures nearly twice what the pump can do. The pressure is on the control valve and circuit components. Suspect an O-ring in that circuit control valve is leaking by. Damage from assembly, debris in system, bad valve bore or combination. My scientific wild ass guess, SWAG. Much better experts on here.

Have a 10,000psi gauge plumbed into loader lift circuit to monitor pressure. Curl circuit force, wheels pushing and transporting jolts can produce pressures twice the what the pump and relief can. Held by the control valve. Designed to handle intermittent dynamic loading. Rare to see relief valves protecting from dynamic loads on our type and scale of equipment. M62 does does have bigger backhoe so maybe?

/ M62 observations and questions #10  
A ripper would be good. I have a 16 inch bucket, but in this instance i was using a 30(with thumb). Sometimes feels like a wrecking ball on a small boat🙃. Mind that the trees we cut 8-9 years ago. As I raised the stump with the dipper, the boom cylinder released and lowered the stump to the ground with a hissing sound. I did it a couple times because it seemed like an unusual occurrence. I like the p gage idea, but I don’t really want to mess with it. For a 100k it should do 0-60 as advertised!

I've never experienced that with our M59 - or anything like it. We use our M59 as a crane far more than we use it for digging and some of the loads are high. Back in 2007/08 when the M59 first came out there was a group here who bought them and traded lots of posts for a couple of years. I think it ran to 50 pages or so. Don't recall anyone mentioning anything like what you are seeing. If what you are describing was normal behavior I think someone on TBN would have experienced it.

I have not had the need to take this M59 hydraulic system apart, so all I know about it is from looking through the shop manual. FWIW, that is an excellent manual.

What you are describing doesn't sound like it is in the cylinder. It sounds like it is in the control or relief valves. I think your best move is to insist on a complete new valve assembly. Working on the valve stack looks time consuming & complex.

If this is a new machine and under warranty I'd be very formal about having this documented. It's a safety issue.

rScotty