LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe?

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe? #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
I had the tractor in the garage tonight doing some work, started it up to test something (was working on a snowblower electrical issue) and noticed a spray of black on the floor, it appears to be oil. Is that normal? I haven't noticed it under the lean to on the rocks.

I had kept turning it on and off, it's cold, about 36F.

It has about 140 hours on it.

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe? #3  
I had my tractor do the same a couple of times when it's cold and I'm just starting it and stopping a lot without much run time at all to get some heat in the engine. All it was was just moisture mixed with soot. A good session with the tiller took care of it.

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe? #5  
It is NOT normal.
Well, from the post I wasn't real real clear where the spray was coming from.
It's not normal unless coming from the exhaust is what I'd say.

Especially on the old pre-emission diesels, a cold engine on a humid morning can spray black goo out of the exhaust. Soot and water, called "diesel slobber". Stand back; it stains what it touches.
It will go away - mostly go away - when the motor and exhaust heat up.

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe? #6  
Well, from the post I wasn't real real clear where the spray was coming from.
It's not normal unless coming from the exhaust is what I'd say.

Especially on the old pre-emission diesels, a cold engine on a humid morning can spray black goo out of the exhaust. Soot and water, called "diesel slobber". Stand back; it stains what it touches.
It will go away - mostly go away - when the motor and exhaust heat up.
The heading to the OPs post includes ”Oil Spray from Exhaust Pipe?” The post itself stated “it appears to be oil.” That seems pretty specific.

Oil spray out of an exhaust is not unheard of but IMO it is not normal.

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe?
I am not sure if it is oil or the slobber, I thought oil when I saw it but will examine it closer when I'm home again.

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe? #8  
The heading to the OPs post includes ”Oil Spray from Exhaust Pipe?” The post itself stated “it appears to be oil.” That seems pretty specific.

Oil spray out of an exhaust is not unheard of but IMO it is not normal.
You are right. I ignored the header when I read the post. My bad.
I do tend to diagnose from the simplest to complex. It's a problem-solving technique that works for me.
So I'd assume it is normal slobber until we find that it is not. Then I go to the next step.
rScotty

/ LX2610 HST - Oil spray from exhaust pipe? #9  
I am not sure if it is oil or the slobber, I thought oil when I saw it but will examine it closer when I'm home again.
How often do you work your tractor hard? Generally speaking, "Diesel slobbers" usually results from short periods of low power usage which doesn't allow the engine to come to normal operating temperature for a certain period of time. It consists of partially burned fuel and soot and possibly condensed water vapor. Work the snot out of the tractor occasionally and it will go away.