LTX1046kw spindle????

/ LTX1046kw spindle???? #11  
It wouldn't matter on the idlers. Is the positioning of the hardware is correct? Some have an updated cover that you put on top - like a domed washer. You would want to make sure that isn't dragging. Without looking, are the guides locked in the proper position?

/ LTX1046kw spindle????
thanks tom for the quick reply. yes mine has the domed washer that covers the top bearing seal. on the guides i'm not 100%sure of exactly where they were before. i know now that i shoulda snapped some pics as it was before i took the deck off. do you have a pic of exactly where the guides should be when bolted down? also, if i tighten the bolt securing the idler wheels will that keep them from free spinning?
edited to add: the reason i ask on how tight should the idlers be is when i tighten em they don't spin freely and the rubbing sound gets was louder. so, i didn't know whether they needed to be tight or kinda loose...
thanks again,
Ed

/ LTX1046kw spindle????
so watching a youtube vid or 2 it appears as though maybe i tightened the domed washer too tight and it was rubbing. imma back off a thread or 2 and see if that helps AND check for the correct positioning of the guides. guess the reason i tightened the idlers down so hard is i figured under the belt tension if they weren't tight the belt might pull the idler at an angle. live and learn i guess. if somebody else has any thoughts on this please respond. i will say the deck was waaaaay smoother than its been in awhile just doing the spindle bearings and greasing the idler bearings.
thanks,
Big Ed

/ LTX1046kw spindle???? #14  
so watching a youtube vid or 2 it appears as though maybe i tightened the domed washer too tight and it was rubbing. imma back off a thread or 2 and see if that helps AND check for the correct positioning of the guides. guess the reason i tightened the idlers down so hard is i figured under the belt tension if they weren't tight the belt might pull the idler at an angle. live and learn i guess. if somebody else has any thoughts on this please respond. i will say the deck was waaaaay smoother than its been in awhile just doing the spindle bearings and greasing the idler bearings.
thanks,
Big Ed
you can use a thin washer between the idler and the domed washer instead of backing off the nuts.. this way, the nuts won't be loose..

/ LTX1046kw spindle????
you can use a thin washer between the idler and the domed washer instead of backing off the nuts.. this way, the nuts won't be loose..

the washer would need to be the same diameter as the domed washer correct cause the domed washer is hollow if my memory serves.
thanks,
Ed

/ LTX1046kw spindle???? #16  
the washer would need to be the same diameter as the domed washer correct cause the domed washer is hollow if my memory serves.
thanks,
Ed
no, the washer would have to be the same diameter as the flat part of the domed washer, it would not make sense if the domed washer did not have a flat part where it touches the bearing for the idler pulley, since that is flat..

/ LTX1046kw spindle???? #17  
Just looked at the parts for the deck on your tractor. Interesting is that typically the bolt holding idler pulleys would had a shoulder bolt which would make it impossible to over tighten. However the bolt on your deck seem to be just a common bolt, no shoulder.

However I see that they use a nylon locking nut, "Nut, Flange Lock, 3/8-16, Nylon" P/n 712-04065. Those nuts lock in place and do not need to be tightened to say in-place. So backing off a little with the nut should not be a problem.

Richard

/ LTX1046kw spindle????
thanks men for the suggestions. i'm gonna get my 15 yr old son to climb aboard the cub and engage the blades and let me get a lil closer look on things to see if i can isolate exactly where the rubbing is coming from. i just bet its from 1 of the 2 idler wheels as i was alil heavy handed with the impact driver assembling em before i knew that they didn't need to be winched down.
thanks,
Big Ed