LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter

/ LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter #1  

rider89

Tractor
Kubota B7500
Model # 13B9A1CS010 mfg 04/2018 ..... 72 hours on the meter.
Used the mower about 6 weeks ago to grind up leaves, ran fine, parked in the garage, and now won't start. When the key is pressed, LCD by the key shows
battery voltage 12.7 for a fraction of a second, then headlights on, and from under the dashboard, a faint click and very faint hum sound (EFI fuel pump?) can be heard until the key is released. Fuse at battery OK, starter cranks when jumpered.
No audible click like a starter solenoid. Hourglass icon on the left of the LCD blinks as though it's running. Is this where I start bypassing the safety switches, and if so, is any particular one of them more likely to fail than the others?
This mower was around $1300. Wondering how much $$ would it take to get something that is not a POS? I mow less than 3/4 acre, so a 42" tractor style is enough speed, etc.

Last edited:
   / LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter #2  
I'd go through the normal stuff of cleaning terminals and checking battery. Then I'd have one person place a voltmeter on the starter solenoid to see if it's getting volts when a start is attempted. If you've got volts and the solenoid doesn't kick in to power the starter it may be defective. If it gets no volts you need to determine why.

/ LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter
Thx for the reply. Do you know if it's true that the seat switch is ignored when the brake lock is engaged ?

/ LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter #4  
Put in neutral and set brake. Jump starter direct with jumper cables. If it cranks over, go back the other way and find out what's not working. If it doesn't crank over, get a starter.

/ LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter #5  
Set brake, be sure that the PTO is disengaged and you're good to go. The seat switch isn't in the crank circuit. Then it's time for troubleshooting. I had one of the FI's a bit ago with a bad solenoid. Mounted right near the starter on that one.

/ LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter
Installed new battery, the old one showed OK voltage but was 4 years old. Bench tested solenoid, operated OK. One safety switch I could get at in the battery area (sensing reverse hydro pedal) cycled open/closed circuit OK.

No help.

Last edited:
   / LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter #7  
get a volt meter and start from the battery to the starter and go from there, learn how to do a voltage drop test.

/ LT42" with EFI engine won't engage starter #8  
I would guess a bad ground someplace. Battery ground, engine ground ?