LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

Here's my regen history, the best I have record of it. I'm sure I missed a few early on before I recognized there was a real problem and started keeping track. I have been having excessive regens almost since the tractor was purchased.

Dealership has been great at getting the tractor in for service and trying a few things, but unfortunately the problem has not been resolved. They called me yesterday after hearing back from LS and informed me that LS’ stance is that regeneration every 2 hours is normal. If regeneration is occurring more frequently than 2 hours apart, there could be an issue.

I find that unacceptable.
I use the tractor at home, it is not a business machine, but based on an 8 hour work day, what should be a normal regen cycle of around 50 hours, would give me 6+ days between regens, and LS is telling me that 4 times per day is normal!

First some qualifying information.

• Tractor is run consistently between 1800 and 2400 RPM
  • Always used on road diesel filled from high turnover stations in 5 gallon cans, I fill 2 or 3 cans, 10-15 gallons at a time, so there has been a lot of fuel turnover, not the same, or old fuel being used. Tried with and without fuel additive (Power Kleen or Howes) no change. At one point LS blamed fuel quality, but refused to test the fuel in the tank to prove it.
  • DPF switch left in regeneration mode, I have never inhibited regeneration.

Occasionally before a regen, the DPF regeneration indicator will blink on/off at 1 sec intervals indicating a >120% soot load, then soon after it will go through a normal regen cycle without me needing to initiate it via the DPF switch. I have not kept a detailed record of when the indicator flashes before a regen, but I have noticed it several times (and I’m sure I missed it blinking a few times too.) Normally it seems to go right into regen mode (solid light) indicating 100% soot load, not >120%, but not always.

I’ve also had a few regens complete and then within 5 minutes the tractor goes into limp mode which a restart clears. That has happened maybe 3 times or so. I don’t recall what was displayed on the instrument panel other than the red ! (Vehicle control error warning indicator.)

Another thing I have noticed more recently, this may be indicative or not; I have noticed a much more pronounced diesel odor in the exhaust than in the past. While nothing like my previous non tier IV motor which was sooty, the MT240 used to burn extremely clean with no noticeable exhaust odor, now there is a diesel exhaust smell, not horrible, but definitely noticeable. Maybe now because it has 300 hours that is to be expected. There is no visible soot or black smoke, just a diesel odor that was not there previously. I may also hear injector or valve chatter that is louder then before as well.

Additionally there were a couple regens run at the dealership during troubleshooting and maintenance which I don't have listed below.

Regen time on hour meter, all regens completed successfully after ~15 minutes:

Hour --- Time Between
4 - - - - - - - - (ran by dealer due to error code, day after I brought it home)
106 --- 5
112 --- 6
115 --- 3 --- (Dealership replaced DPF Sensor, removed and cleaned DPF)
118 --- 3
119 --- 1
148 --- 29
165 --- 17
175 --- 10
187 --- 12
191 --- 4
197 --- 6
213 --- 16
224 --- 11
234 --- 10
250 --- 16
254 --- 4 --- (Dealership replaced ECU and DPF sensor. Invoice notes “REGEN OCCURRING TO OFTEN WITH NO SOOT LOAD”)
259 --- 5 --- (In Dealership for service, ran diagnostic, nothing significant noted)
262 --- 3
269 --- 7
276 --- 7
300 --- 24
307 --- 7
328 --- 21
343 --- 15
355 --- 12
363 --- 8
369 --- 6 --- Dealership replaced EGR Valve and ran regen cycle
381 --- 12
389 --- 8
397 --- 8 --- Dealership replaced all 3 injectors and ran regen cycle
412 --- 15
426 --- 14
435 --- 9
442 --- 7
453 --- 11
467 --- 14
478 --- 11
488 --- 10
501 --- 13 --- Replaced fuel filter, was due, heard this "may" help. Air filter too.
511 --- 10 --- 500hr service, new Fuel and Air filters did not help

41 Regens, avg 10.25hrs (updated table 4/2024)

I'm looking for advice on how to move forward. First I need to be able to get the dealer to move forward since LS who is paying for the warranty work says this is NORMAL OPERATION.

Next I see 2 different paths.
  1. DPF System has a fault
  2. DPF system working normally, tractor producing too much soot
Comments?

Last edited:
   / LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #2  
Sounds like too much soot to me.

I have a MT352 only re-gened 1x in 50+ hours during snow removal I only noticed cause the ice was melting off the snow bucket faster than usual and looked at the light for re-gen was on only lasted about 10 minutes and noticed no difference in performance.

What would cause too much soot??

Eliminate fuel issues maybe dump and clean the fuel tank and lines. Then move on from there.

Noticed your last re-gen took 20 some hrs ?? I'd bet you got the tractor with bad fuel already in there and your tank is contaminated... my guess.

Edit:
Clean fuel injectors maybe they got clogged with bad fuel in tank from original purchase.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #3  
I would do what bobrown14 says, plus a new fuel filter and new air filters. Or did the dealer do this already?
Have you noticed if the engine uses any oil doing all the regens?

To me, a regen every two hours its telling you something is not right, be it emissions garbage or engine, fuel... 50 hours is what I have been getting with my LS, I think that is just the default regen time if needed or not.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #4  
Something isn't right. I agree with the others on their ideas.
My MT240HE regens about every 50 hours +- since the first one occurred at around 25-30 hours as I was only running it at 1500RPM for light loader work, etc. Then I started running it at 1800-2000RPM for anything not PTO driven and at PTO RPM for those that do. I just reached 195 hours this past weekend. I have used Amsoil fuel additives in every tank. I don't usually let it idle more than 10 minutes or I just shut it off. I let warm up 2-5 minutes (longer when it's really cold) and I give it 2-3 minutes to cool off.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
Air filter is cleaned regularly with compressed air, I have not replaced the air or the fuel filter, as they are a long way from their rated replacement periods (500 hours) and there has been no noticed indication of required replacement such as rough idle/running, etc.

I have not noticed any engine oil usage. Oil/filter were replaced at 50hrs with conventional 15w40 with a stock LS filter and again at 150 hours with synthetic T6 15w40. Just checked the level, same a when I filled it 150hrs ago.

I don't let it idle even close to 10 minutes. a minute warm up and 2 minutes cool down, and now and again when trying to hear my wife say something, that's about it.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #6  
Has the dealership ever checked the fuel pressures?

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #7  
I would do what Bobrown14 said to do and then try a cheap experiment . I've had excellent luck with B3C , Mechanic in a Bottle for Diesel in my tractor and There Gas additive is second to non for keeping small motors running perfect . I use it in everything and have no worries . Some will say its Snake oil but It's a cheap thing to try . I think it will cut down on your soot problem .
I've attached a small Video Below

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #8  
To me it sure sounds like something is wrong with your MT240, hopefully you and your dealer will be able to figure it out and get it fixed under warranty !
My LS XR4155 has only regenerated 3 times in 190 hours so I sometimes wonder if it’s actually working correctly but it always runs great.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
I don't believe anything has been checked (such as fuel pressures) other than what is available when hooked up to the diagnostic computer. I "think" only the DPF system has been looked at, not the engine for a soot issue.