LS or Kubota

/ LS or Kubota #291  
I prefer data to anecdotes. The math is on your side to skip extended warranties. In the aggregate, the house always wins. You MiGHT have a covered failure, but you Will pay even if you don't. Put the insurance money in an investment account and the odds are better that you will have enough for a new tractor long before you can use the extended warranty.
Do you have health insurance?

/ LS or Kubota #292  
I prefer data to anecdotes. The math is on your side to skip extended warranties. In the aggregate, the house always wins. You MiGHT have a covered failure, but you Will pay even if you don't. Put the insurance money in an investment account and the odds are better that you will have enough for a new tractor long before you can use the extended warranty.
Do you have health insurance?

Wow! Zingo! Bull's EYE!
Even with perfect health, every single one of us gets older - and it turns out that getting older is very expensive.

Although the point I was hoping to make is slightly different - it is that I didn't know until I checked into it that extended warranties are not like manufacturer's warranties. Very different. On the few extended warranties I looked at there are half a dozen different coverage levels.

I had to be persistent and ask the right questions before being shown the policy upgrades. They want to sell the basic, and it excludes so much that I would agree with Torvy.... and I hate to do that..... but basic extended warranties are financial gambles that favor the house & are expensive. You are better off putting your money into investments.

OR, you can do homework and really look into the coverage. Good policies do exist. If you have an expensive tractor it might be worth it. Definitely worth for the true commercial operator & farmer. But those guys know how to study a warranty. And have other resources too.

rScotty

/ LS or Kubota #293  
There was a post by a member in another group that I belong to that was talking about this. I have uploaded a picture of the spring pin plug under an L3560le. One of the posters has an L5740 which came with HST Plus and his started leaking around 1000 hours. He said Kubota charged him around $4300 to fix that and add a 3rd function valve.

I remember that post but forget if his L5740 had a cab, although even if it didn't $4300 on a 1000 hr tractor to split a tractor, replace those seals, AND add a 3rd function valve seems like a pretty good deal - in fact, a screaming good deal. Parts alone for 3rd function eat up a lot of that.

That dealer's mechanics must have six arms, chug caffeine, bike to work, sleep in a stall, and eat peanut butter sandwiches 3x/day.

I hope they at least have health insurance....

/ LS or Kubota #294  
I remember that post but forget if his L5740 had a cab, although even if it didn't $4300 on a 1000 hr tractor to split a tractor, replace those seals, AND add a 3rd function valve seems like a pretty good deal - in fact, a screaming good deal. Parts alone for 3rd function eat up a lot of that.

That dealer's mechanics must have six arms, chug caffeine, bike to work, sleep in a stall, and eat peanut butter sandwiches 3x/day.

I hope they at least have health insurance....
It costs around $1500 to split a tractor down in my neck of the woods. So you're saying a third function valve is $2800?

/ LS or Kubota #295  
It costs around $1500 to split a tractor down in my neck of the woods. So you're saying a third function valve is $2800?

Well, I wouldn't live in Denver anymore than you would in Birmingham. But cost of living are sure different. And Denver is inexpensive compared to the rural areas of Colorado. I have no idea how Birmingham compares to rural Alabama..
A search shows a lot of L5740s & most came with cabs. A surprising amount of them had a need for dealers doing work.
A 3rd function valve kit for similar Kubotas today is about $1100 for parts. Installation extra. Somebody probably knows the cost of doing it as an add-on.
I don't know what it costs to split a tractor here, but doubt that you could even get the cab on and off for $1500. Just the cab means dealing with AC, heat, remote hydraulics... and electricals. And not even started on the tractor yet.
Again, somebody probably knows. Be interesting to find out.
rScotty

Cost of Living Indexes​
Denver, CO​
Birmingham, AL​
Difference​
Overall Index: Homeowner, No Child care, Taxes Not Considered
127.8​
75.7​
40.8% less​
Food & Groceries
101.9​
93.3​
8.4% less​
Housing (Homeowner)
184.3​
28.3​
84.6% less​
Median Home Cost
$534,100​
$79,000​
$455,100 (85.2% less)​
Utilities
96.2​
101​
5.0% more​
Transportation
116.1​
88.4​
23.9% less​
Health
83.9​
122​
45.4% more​
Miscellaneous
102.8​
94.5​
8.1% les​

Last edited:
   / LS or Kubota #298  
One thing I notice at my local Kubota dealers is they push the basic L-series tractor and sell lots of them. They might have 1 Grand L on the lot if your lucky. I guess once you get into the premium Kubota the price really goes up.

I am guessing Kubota is trying to hit a certain price point so folks can afford? It is like buying an underpowered boat. 20ft with a 115 when the boat is rated for a 200 motor (see this all the time). Example, the Kubota L are lighter than the Grand L with less lift capacity on both loader and 3pt. Just an observation on my part. Might not mean nothing.

I really don't know anything about LS but if they are selling premium style tractors at basic Kubota L-series tractors prices, I can see why folks would gravitate to the LS.

One thing I think all tractor manufacturers should do standard is put a deluxe 3pt hitch on the back. It just makes life that much easier.

/ LS or Kubota #299  
One thing I notice at my local Kubota dealers is they push the basic L-series tractor and sell lots of them. They might have 1 Grand L on the lot if your lucky. I guess once you get into the premium Kubota the price really goes up.

I am guessing Kubota is trying to hit a certain price point so folks can afford? It is like buying an underpowered boat. 20ft with a 115 when the boat is rated for a 200 motor (see this all the time). Example, the Kubota L are lighter than the Grand L with less lift capacity on both loader and 3pt. Just an observation on my part. Might not mean nothing.

I really don't know anything about LS but if they are selling premium style tractors at basic Kubota L-series tractors prices, I can see why folks would gravitate to the LS.

One thing I think all tractor manufacturers should do standard is put a deluxe 3pt hitch on the back. It just makes life that much easier.
But the thing about this is: LS isn't selling them at "L" prices.... they are selling them WAY below Kubota prices.

/ LS or Kubota #300  
But the thing about this is: LS isn't selling them at "L" prices.... they are selling them WAY below Kubota prices.
They’re selling them at “New kid on the block” prices… just as Kubota did 45 or so years ago.
That’s how you gain market share.
You keep it by building a good reputation based on quality and service. Who knows, 40 years from now they might be the one which everybody is knocking because…
Why does everybody have to compare against Kubota?