LS or Kubota

/ LS or Kubota #171  
the LS mt342 is an impressive package for a great price and I would have bought the mt342 except for 3 things, the engine is a turbo design and I avoid turbos in tractors, just my preference, the dealer network is thinner than others but all of that can be overcome the killer for me was that LS will not allow customers to purchase the factory service manual for the MT342. for me personally no factory service manual == no sale. I tried everything but the dealer said there was nothing that he could do.
Good to know. I've had factory service manuals for all my equipment and vehicles until very recently. That's just do to health issues.
Drive both see what is comfortable a buddy just bought a new tym it's a nice tractor I just don't think it's comfortable
Beyond that I think Kubota has a great hydro transmission on the ones that have 2 speeds in each range I have it on my l4740 and wouldn't have a hydrostatic without it
Another thing to consider is resale value if you decide to upgrade it in a few years
Do the hydro's also have a neutral?
My JD had H neutral & Low

/ LS or Kubota #172  
I just did some searching and have no more info now than before.

Just getting ready to search Tym tractors
I haven't paid much attention to them, but saw one with a backhoe attachment last week. I was amazed at the amount of iron in the subframe for the backhoe!

/ LS or Kubota #173  
I haven't paid much attention to them, but saw one with a backhoe attachment last week. I was amazed at the amount of iron in the subframe for the backhoe!
Their warranty looked good.
I'd just as soon buy made in the USA. Have to find a good used machine for that

/ LS or Kubota #174  
Quite a few LS tractor owners from New
Mexico are buying parts from K & S Tractor
Sales in Lubbock, Texas 806-993-1093
Mike has even sold some LS tractors to
people in New Mexico. I purchased a
landplane/grader from Mike. Its well built
and a handy piece of equipment.

willly

/ LS or Kubota #175  
the LS mt342 is an impressive package for a great price and I would have bought the mt342 except for 3 things, the engine is a turbo design and I avoid turbos in tractors, just my preference, the dealer network is thinner than others but all of that can be overcome the killer for me was that LS will not allow customers to purchase the factory service manual for the MT342. for me personally no factory service manual == no sale. I tried everything but the dealer said there was nothing that he could do.
I have an XR4145HC. I was able to purchase a .pdf copy of the service manual online for like $50.

Here's the link;

/ LS or Kubota #176  
RSR, this was extremely good posting here. I feel it needs to be pointed out to everyone that if you're going to argue this is how it's done. Bring data to the conversation to back up what you're saying. Don't use anecdotal evidence if you can help it please.

You have actually educated me about loaders with this post. Thanks for taking the time to share this.
Thanks for the compliment. As an engineer, I like to have quantifiable numbers as opposed to gut feelings, intuition, and biased assessments.

That said, there is a lot about a tractor that is admittedly hard to quantity. That's why I do agree that sitting on, and operating a tractor to find how it fits, how loud it is, etc. is crucially important.

/ LS or Kubota #177  
I liked RSR's argument too. But still, what we don't know is what criteria the various companies are using to decide when the capacity of the loader is reached.

One might have been using cylinder hydraulic pressure, another using shear strength of the pivots, another using bending strength of the loader arms. Changing limits using mechanical specs is easy.

At one time tractors rated their FEL capacity the same way that commercial equipment is rated today - where loader capacity is based on the normal operating weight and stability of the entire platform. That's the best way.
rScotty

My understanding (maybe I'm naively wrong) is that loader capacity is simply the weight that it can lift to that height. That can be computed quite simply from the force the cylinder produces, and the geometry of the loader.

The structural properties of the loader would need to support that load, while adding in a very healthy safety factor to account for things like shock loading if you hit a bump, etc.

I tend to agree that a "safe loader lift capacity" that considers tractor stability would be nice to know. But, I don't think anyone does that. It would also be hard to nail down because that is going to vary tremendously based on tire selection, speed of travel, surface geometry, etc. I don't know of any tractor that is NOT capable of lifting the rear wheels when operated as it comes from the market. That is, no filled tires or added counterweight. In other words, all tractors are inherently unstable as advertised.

/ LS or Kubota #178  
OK. Since the loader specs come in for a lot of attention here on TBN, I'm curious again. If possible, I would like to compare LS loaders with the Kubota TL1350 in post #161 above.
I admit to enjoying looking at loader design - everyone needs another hobby :). And FELs are sort of old style mech eng. in a nutshell. But simplified.....so its a sort of tech talk that speaks to me.
Can you direct me to where I can download a copy of their specific loader curves & loader tech info?
I'd like to think that LS is an "up and comer". Their willingness to share tech details with potential customers will say a lot to me. Kubota, JD, and Yanmar all do a good job of sharing tech info and they have done well.
Thanks,
rScotty
Here is a link to all the LS tractor manuals. If you scroll down, the loader manuals are listed. You would have to get the specific model number for a specific tractor.

/ LS or Kubota #179  
Here is a link to all the LS tractor manuals. If you scroll down, the loader manuals are listed. You would have to get the specific model number for a specific tractor.

Fantastic! I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for finding the link. I'll play with it a bit this very night & get back in a few days with what I've found.
rScotty