LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER

/ LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER #1  

KCTractors

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS MT342, Case 530 CK, , Ford 2000, , Ford 8N
I have a MT342 with the Hyro Transmission. A six foot front-mount snowblower is on it. I have a driveway that is over a quarter mile long to clean out. The Dealer said that the 42 horse would be big enough, but I think that I should have went with the 57 Hp.
I blow with the hydro in the Mid range. I got to thinking maybe the engine would have more power if I used the tractor in Low range instead. I don't need the ground speed but do need the power at the front or the mid pto.

Any opinions of that idea?

/ LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER #2  
Driveway flat or onna grade?

Our MT352 with a 72" snow pusher does great uphill and down and we have at least 1/4 mile driveway onna mountain.

IF you're onna incline - start going downhill first. My first cut with a pusher going uphill in heavy snow would be a problem without chains.

Plow WITH the storm dont wait until the end of the storm. Why we have tunes a cab and heat.

I go slow 2nd gear and take my time Ive got a shuttle 16 speed tranny. Once I get going I can shift up but pushing requires piling up snow and planning ahead for the next snow.

/ LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER
Driveway flat or onna grade?

Our MT352 with a 72" snow pusher does great uphill and down and we have at least 1/4 mile driveway onna mountain.

IF you're onna incline - start going downhill first. My first cut with a pusher going uphill in heavy snow would be a problem without chains.

Plow WITH the storm dont wait until the end of the storm. Why we have tunes a cab and heat.

I go slow 2nd gear and take my time Ive got a shuttle 16 speed tranny. Once I get going I can shift up but pushing requires piling up snow and planning ahead for the next snow.
The problem is this driveway is on some property that is seven miles from the house. I drive the tractor to the property and then back to the house. The driveway is level.

/ LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER #4  
Put a turbo on it! They seen to increase the power

willy

/ LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER
   / LS MT342 HC, I NEED MORE POWER #6  
The turbo is just for emissions, it doesn't really help with power.

Is your tractor lugging down when you're blowing? If so, gear down. These tractors will do just about anything you ask of them, including pushing and blowing heavy snow. The trade off is doing how fast you're doing it.

The difference between your engine, and the one found in the MT357 is the size of the turbo, and the programming in the ECU. Theoretically, one could put the turbo from a 357 into your tractor and program it as if its a 357 thus unlocking the potential of the engine. However, that is just theory, as I do not know anyone who has ever actually done that. A lot of people have asked and said they would try, but no results I've ever heard.

If you really want more HP out of this tractor, consider trading it in for a larger one.