LS MT240 Regen info. thread

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #1  

Bearsixty7

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
Just a thread for sharing information.

The first Regen was around 25hrs while I was doing some light loader work @~1500RPM in MO. Engine stumbled a little and got my attention when I saw the dash lights for "regen" and the RPM jumped up to 1800, then the "hot exhaust" light came on, that lasted maybe 15 minutes and it dropped back to 1500rpm.

The second regen happened around 50 hrs. Don't recall what I was doing or the RPM.

So I did some light snow clearing back in February and was around 77 hours expecting a regen any moment but never got one so I tried to force one, nothing ever happened even holding the switch down at the top for 20 seconds. I could press the button down at the bottom and get the "regen inhibited" light to turn on so the switch seemed to be working or at least half of it was.

Fast forward to last night. Tractor is at 82.7 hrs doing some light loader work at ~1500RPM and temp is just below half way mark where it usually runs once warm. I decided to try a forced regen again, still nothing while moving even holding the switch down at the top for 20 seconds.
I finish my work, idle down and decided to stop, put on parking brake and pressed switch down at the bottom for "Regen inhibit" mode and the light comes on so switch must be ok, then I press the switch down at the top and all of a sudden the rpm's jump up to 2600 and the regen light comes on!
After about 5 minutes the "hot exhaust" light comes on. It ran until 83.0 hrs so about 18 minutes before it dropped back down to idle and the lights went out.
While it was running at the high rpm I worked the loader functions up and down practicing keeping the bucket level or doing dual movements just to put some load on the engine, talk about fast hydraulics!

Main take away is the forced regen won't happen unless the engine (and maybe coolant or exhaust temperature??) is fully warmed up and the parking brake is on apparently.

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #2  
My MT240 is at the dealer getting looked at for a few issues, some minor, some not so minor, the non minor ones:

1) F11 - 1221 Vehicle Control Error/Warning has happened several times, limits RPM to 1500, requires restart to clear. (latest at meter 99 and 113)

2) Regens happening every 5 - 6 hours (recent issue, 3 regens in last 11 hours (meter 101, 106, 112), also seems to be heavy fuel use those last 15 hours, much more than has been typical the previous 100 hours. Those regens seem to have been 10-12 minute regens, though I did not time them. The regens DID complete each time and I have never delayed one.

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #3  
DPF sensor is reading erratically, from 2% to 98% so a new sensor is on order.

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #4  
Looks like the manual regen switch may only work if the DPF soot level is over 120% and regen light is blinking once per second.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 3.12.44 PM.png

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread
Looks like the manual regen switch may only work if the DPF soot level is over 120% and regen light is blinking once per second.
No, that's just what the recommended action is. It can be forced anytime, just not something you want to do often. I had no lights on the other night. I was just going on the previous regens occurring about every 25 hours and thought it had to be close to needing one but since I hadn't used it for more than an hour at a time, I figured it never got hot enough and was worried that it might try to go into a regen right after I started it and it wasn't warmed up but it appears that it looks at several sensors or conditions first.
I will let it just do it as needed from now on from what I learned.

I wish it displayed the % full like my F350 does, then I could possibly plan for it or extend the time it's worked.

Last edited:
DPF sensor is reading erratically, from 2% to 98% so a new sensor is on order.
I wonder what they cost, Probably be a good idea to get one ordered for mine.
Maybe we can track the items that fail for Regen/DPF in this thread.

So far I haven't had any issues except the front axle needing a quart of oil even though no drips or leaks. I think it was just underfilled initially.

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #7  
same with mine, the front axle needed a full quart added after I checked it a several hours after delivery/use. Do drips or leaks, and level has not changed since, many more hours. Underfilled from depot and not checked when setup for delivery by dealer.

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #8  
I'll see if I can get the cost when I pick it up next week. I think all that emissions crap is warrantied for 6 years.

Guess what error I had his weekend after about 30 minutes! F11 - 1221. I shut it off, raised the hood and wiggled the sensor off the side of the DPF, I don't think it really did any thing.
Waited a few minutes and restarted it and no error. No RPM limit either.
ran it about another 3 hours.

/ LS MT240 Regen info. thread #10  
I don't envy you, seems that F11-1221 can be several things (sensor, software, throttle lever, etc), they need to hook it up to the computer to identify what it may be. I've had the error several times, it began with 3 hours on the clock. Dealer sent a tech out, they hooked it up, ran a regen, closed it up and that was it, and no more errors for about 100 hours, then bam, several in a short period of time. Sensor is "supposed" to be delivered today, so hopefully I get it back mid week.
A restart has luckily always cleared my error code and limp mode, but obviously never fixed the root cause.