LS 235 in the shop

/ LS 235 in the shop #1  

rareese

Tractor
LS MT235HE
Purchased a new LS 235 in October, used until April Has been at the dealership since(8weeks) Sputters at full throttle, the dealership cannot figure out what is wrong. I contacted the corporation twice and they have yet to resolve the issue.
At what point do I get an attorney involved? Advice appreciated.
Rick

/ LS 235 in the shop #2  
At what point do I get an attorney involved? Advice appreciated.
Rick
Best of luck, you might try your state attorney generals office and check on their lemon laws.

/ LS 235 in the shop #3  
I'm guessing you're actively working with your dealer? He is keeping you updated on progress or lack thereof? Is it a parts availability issue or something else? Have you paid them anything for any work already done? Have they claimed it's fixed, only to discover that it's not?

I don't have personal experience with lemon laws, but I know there are limitations. Here is what I found for my state:

"Your vehicle may qualify as a “lemon” if it has one or more significant defects that have been subject to a “reasonable number of attempts” to diagnose or repair the problem(s) covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. The law covers only defects that “substantially impair” the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle.

A manufacturer is required to repurchase or replace a vehicle with a ‘nonconformity’ or ‘serious safety defect’ after a “reasonable number of attempts” have occurred. A “reasonable number of attempts” are different for each claim category."

Also:
"4. Days Out of Service
Days out of service accumulated during attempts to diagnose or repair due to one or more ‘nonconformities’ or ‘serious safety defects’. The vehicle has been out of service due to diagnosis or repair:

• a cumulative total of 30 or more cumulative calendar days
  • at least 15 days occurred during the period of the manufacturer’s written warranty and during the “eligibility period” (see What Is The Eligibility Period?)
  • The consumer sent a written request to the manufacturer asking for repurchase or replacement of the vehicle and
  • manufacturer failed to respond or did not reached a resolution with the consumer within 40 days
Note: Days out of service are included whether or not a substantial defect has been repaired."

Also, certain vehicles do not apply to the lemon law here. Examples include: motorcycles with engines less that 750cc, trucks with 19,000 lbs gross weight, or fleet vehicles. It does not say if tractors are excluded. Check your local laws before pursuing lemon law claim.

If your dealer cannot figure it out, request a new dealer. You might be able to have them ship the tractor to a different (perhaps better equipped) dealer free of charge. I'm guessing this would only be available if you're in "good standings" with your current dealership. And by this, I mean, you're not being argumentative, combative, nasty, mean, a "Karen," etc. This would be more of a favor from your dealer.

But either way, I'd seriously consider taking it to a different dealership. If they cannot help you, they cannot figure out what is wrong, document it. Contact an attorney that is familiar with lemon laws, or do some research into opening a claim yourself. But there are rules you'll need to follow for this.

Work with your dealer to resolve this issue. If he is not willing to work with you, consider the lemon law or take it to another dealership. Good luck.

Last edited:
   / LS 235 in the shop #4  
Lemon laws don’t always apply outside of motor vehicles, so you may need to look at something like the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. 15 USC 2301-2312. Check your state.

I’ve had luck calling LS directly, but not sure your dealer will take it well or not. In my case, the dealer was getting run around by his LS contact, so it didn’t hurt his feelings.