LP Grill Question

/ LP Grill Question #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hi All,

Being the cheapskate I am, today I pulled an old Sunbeam grill out of the weeds and decided to try to get it working instead of buying a new one. It had been sitting for years and still had a full tank of gas with it (old style). The regulator was shot and leaked gas out the side of it.

I went to the local box store and bought what I thought was the right regulator. It's a Mr. Heater brand regulator 1/2 PSI output, 75,000 btu capacity. I didn't want to buy a new style grill regulator since it wouldn't fit my old tank, and I noticed the regulator I did buy will fit the new style tanks when my old one runs out.

I cleaned up the burner and blew it out with compressed air. I hooked the tank up and lit it. It burned a nice blue flame all around the burner. I put in some fresh lava rocks and put the grill on and lit it again. Now here's the problem.

The grill doesn't heat up enough. Max temp on the grill surface is about 250 F. and it drops rapidly when opened. My question is: Did I buy too small of a regulator? And if I did, what size do I need? This one says it's for portable heaters, hot plates, camp stoves and other low pressure propane appliances that are 75,000 btu or less.

Any help will be appreciated,

Kevin

/ LP Grill Question #2  
75000 BTU should be enough to heat adequately, and grills I have found are tempermental at times and finding the problem is not easy.

Several things to look at;

The newer regulators have an automatic flow control mechanism that cut down the flow if a high outflow is sensed. The sequence of starting the grill can cause the "low heat" you describe E.G. turn on the burner then turn on the gas, then ignite button can cause the flow control to kick in thus low heat. The proper way is to turn on the gas, then the ignite burner, then ignite, then the other burners. If your unit only has one burner it may be too high of a flow and causing this to kick in..

Second the distribution system - the venturi affair that feeds the burner(s) after the regulator may be restricted, then finally look at the burner itself, the holes where the flames come out could be restricted - a wire brush usually solves this.

Last - the regulator might have an adjustment (under the plastic cap) that you can adjust the pressure/flow - my older Weber had this - this is sort of the last resort..

Grills can be a challenge, so go slow and be safe in your trials..

/ LP Grill Question
I don't think the regulator I bought has that safety mechanism. It's not a standard "grill" regulator. It's a "Mr. Heater" brand.

I can't find any specifications online about the ones sold for grills. I'd like to know the PSI rating and BTU capacity of the ones made specifically for LP grills.

I was wondering if the 1/2 PSI output was enough.

Last edited:
   / LP Grill Question #4  
I don't think the regulator I bought has that safety mechanism. It's not a standard "grill" regulator. It's a "Mr. Heater" brand.

I can't find any specifications online about the ones sold for grills. I'd like to know the PSI rating and BTU capacity of the ones made specically for LP grills.

I was wondering if the 1/2 PSI output was enough.

Not an authority at all.. BUT my first guess would be that the 'mr heater' regulator was designed only for their heaters - so it may not be allowing enough gas thru for your grill needs

Brian

/ LP Grill Question #5  
I got nuthin to help with your grill, but if it doesn't work out, rip all the guts out, line the bottom with aluminum foil, put a few inches of charcoal in there, Buy a $40 rotissorie kit and make a turkey cooker MMMMMmmmmm:licking:

/ LP Grill Question #6  
A 75k btu regulator is more than enough. Grills running full open are in the 30k-40k btu range.

Taking in to consideration where this grill came from, I'd guess you have a problem with partially plugged gas jet(s) and or the control valve(s).

/ LP Grill Question #7  
You can go to wal mart or home depot and buy a new burner for your grill...I have done that twice on mine...about $20.00 and that beats buying a new grill. Also you mentioned you have an old propane tank...consider exchanging that tank for a new filled one at many of the convenience stores or wal mart ..they take your tank in exchange for a new filled one..there could be a faulty valve in the Propane tank itself...that has happened to me as well and even though the tank is full only a small amount of gas comes out. Don't give up and take the easy way and buy a new grill..make this one work..

/ LP Grill Question #8  
You must have some blockage somewhere.The old rubber lines ,etc,. 27.7 inches W.C. = 1 lb. 1/2 of that is 13.87 inches. propane operates on 11 inches water column

you should have plenty of gas pressure if , your reg is rated for 1/2 psi

Last edited:
   / LP Grill Question #9  
I got nuthin to help with your grill, but if it doesn't work out, rip all the guts out, line the bottom with aluminum foil, put a few inches of charcoal in there, Buy a $40 rotissorie kit and make a turkey cooker MMMMMmmmmm:licking:

Yeah. And get a rib basket for the rotisserie while you are at it :) Gas grills are hard to beat for ease of use and being handy, but I like using wood for simplicity. My tank is never empty, it never fails to light and my regulator never acts up :D:D
Dave.

/ LP Grill Question
It's up and cookin! The regulator was fine, it was a slightly clogged hose that was causing the problem. We've got a lot of wasps on our property and they try to make nests everywhere. The burner and hoses had dirt in them and I suspect the wasps. I don't think it was spiders but who knows. It looked like dirt to me when I cleaned it out with a piece of wire.

Now I'm going to attempt to paint the support pieces of the grill and put new wood on it to get it up to my wife's standards so she'll let me keep it on the porch. :)