Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #11  
Congrats on getting your money back Ron! :cool:

Like Keving and others noted, if you spend some time on a machine or have some challenging areas, a true commercial machine is the only way too go.

My biggest fear being that mower companies start to realize this and make look alikes, like too many things these days [if you want any quality you almost have to buy the extra-heavyduty-proffesional-industrial-commercial-guaranteed for life- unit....with a well reputed name ....then still double and triple check you're getting what you think you are]. However, halfway through the second season on our commercial Snapper, I think you still get what you pay for with mowers.

Also, with consumer rated machines [I've noted this before, and no-one has proved me wrong yet anyway], adding anymore than "rated" mowing time, area, or conditions, probably won't just slightly degrade life, rather it'll come off in large chunks - possibly litterally! :D Seriously though, I know there are die-hards and lemons in every line, but I'll guarantee that the CubCadet or JD sitting at LowesDepot isn't the machine you remember from the 1960's.

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #12  
as far as big stores, i like lowes, i hate home decrap, i worked there before so youd think id be partial to them... not.

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #13  
RebelRAM said:
Heh! I'm the customer that all the other customers in the store run to to ask questions about various items in the store. I can't go into a Lowes or Home Depot without another customer asking me for help on something. I have a friend who gets the same treatment. Apparently he and I look like we have a clue about hardware or something.

Hey Rebel. I need to paint a porch and you look like a guy who knows what stuff I need to buy. Can you explain which paint I need and what is the best way to put it on?:D ;)

RonR... You know, I think you just told a story about good service from a manager. Had you lost your cool and walked away, you'd probably still be fuming and not have that store credit in your pocket. I'm patient to a fault sometimes and my wife is just the opposite. If it had been her, she would have been the person "on the phone to god." :)

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower
Jinman,

I didn't yell at the manager and I did THANK HIM for doing what I thought was right!

I know it doesn't do any good to yell at these guys. They are only trying to do their job.

Ron

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #15  
keving said:
Glad to hear they came around to your way of thinking!

I had a MTD to mow my two acres at the house and they all are short term mowers. When I was a kid we had a Wheel Horse that can still cut grass like crazy. This mower is now 40 years old... The MTD and MTD-like mowers won't last more than a few years. The engine will still run, but the rest will eventually fall apart.

SOLUTION: I bought a commercial grade Scag mower. I paid about 6500 for a 60" commercial grade mower. There are xmark, kubota and others but I found the Scag the best for me.

I have had it for 7 years and have about 200 hours on it. I cut my mowing time from 2.5+ hours down to about 35-45 minutes, with a better cut. This is the last mower I will ever have to buy. The mower has had zero problems.

Something to consider..The MTD and MTD-like mowers won't last more than a few years.
--*The engine will still run, but the rest will eventually fall apart.
*The engine has never been right on my mtd and has been a real piece if crap. A lemon motor on A MTD don't leave much left does it?