Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
While running errands today, I asked at the Lowes service counter (now that's a mis-nomer) about my long in service Troy Mower. They sent it in for repair SIX WEEKS ago.

The ladies up front couldn't figure anything out, but they were calling god or someone............. I asked the one with the badge that said "Manager" how long they had to keep the mower before they would agree to just buy it back?

So after relating the whole litany, she said the obligatory "you'd have to talk with my manager........."

So she called god and "he's on the way"...........

Wife stopped me several time from giving up and walking out--said give him five more minutes........

Young guy shows up CARRYING A PHONE: "R U the man with the mower problem?"

"YEP, That's me!" So I asked if he had time for the story, and a walk back to the mowers so I could show him what I was talking about.

He said he did; I tried to get him to leave his phone at the service desk, so we wouldn't be interrupted, but he said he "had to carry it.........." Duh?

Anyway, he listened to my story, and said he'd heard the tale before. (First time; every time before I mentioned it to other Lowe's employees, they acted dumbfounded that I had issues with the mower.)

So he offers to Give me what I paid for the mower to TRADE IT ON ANY OTHER ONES.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!

I told him I'd purchased my last MTD POS mower and any mower I did buy would be a commercial grade. So I added "How about credit for what I paid to buy other stuff in your store?"

He agreed.

So I did cartwheels out the store. I not longer own a POS mower.

Now I can focus on other pressing issues..............

Rant over, THANKS. Ron

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #2  
The service and attitude at these type stores vary widely. When HD first came to our county although there was no local competition, had very good service and plenty of reps to answer your questions and help you. As time went on, that dimished to the point that I avoid them if at all possible. A new Lowes went in a few miles away a few months ago, and they will stop in the isle and ask if you need help. I bought a ceiling fan that was damaged in the box, took it back and had a refund in 5 minutes. I suspect that that level of commitment will pass in time.

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #3  
The service and attitude at these type stores vary widely. When HD first came to our county although there was no local competition, had very good service and plenty of reps to answer your questions and help you. As time went on, that dimished to the point that I avoid them if at all possible. A new Lowes went in a few miles away a few months ago, and they will stop in the isle and ask if you need help. I bought a ceiling fan that was damaged in the box, took it back and had a refund in 5 minutes. I suspect that that level of commitment will pass in time.

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #4  
Gene,
My experience is very similar. The Depot has been in town for years with no real competition. As soon as Lowes was all approved to build down the street.... immediately, the service at the Depot improved. Shocker !! For the longest time, asking an employee in a particular dept. for assistance would get you a, "just a moment sir, i'll be right back to help you with that". Then.... the employee would disappear (probably into the break room) for the next couple hours. Now they actually have to compete with Lowes.... who is currently offering good customer service in our town. I'm confident they will both get comfortable soon enough, and service will go down hill.... but its nice for now !

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #5  
Glad to hear they came around to your way of thinking!

I had a MTD to mow my two acres at the house and they all are short term mowers. When I was a kid we had a Wheel Horse that can still cut grass like crazy. This mower is now 40 years old... The MTD and MTD-like mowers won't last more than a few years. The engine will still run, but the rest will eventually fall apart.

SOLUTION: I bought a commercial grade Scag mower. I paid about 6500 for a 60" commercial grade mower. There are xmark, kubota and others but I found the Scag the best for me.

I have had it for 7 years and have about 200 hours on it. I cut my mowing time from 2.5+ hours down to about 35-45 minutes, with a better cut. This is the last mower I will ever have to buy. The mower has had zero problems.

Something to consider...

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #6  
Ive found some very good employees at Home Depot. But I too have had those days when someone would Say be right back. One of these days I waited 25 minutes and then went to the service desk and asked for the manager. He asked how he could help me. I told him I wanted a few 2x4x8.
They were on the second shelf. He said there was someone in that dept. He sent me back and was supposed to call someone. Another 10 or 15 minutes, and I didn't see anyone.
I took a 2x4x10, and reached up to the shelf and "jocked" a few loose to drop to the floor. (Wife being sure no one was in way). CRASH they go.
That got some attention. A guy comes around the corner, and I tell him I'm all set now.:cool:
One other time got me quite mad. wanted 25 bundles of wood shingles, they too were up top. I got the dept manager, and explained that if they could get the pallet down that night id be there at 7 am. He agreed, and was thankful that I didn't have to have them that second.Well, yep the next day still up top. Asked someone to drop it down, and got the old I am busy, got the manager, and he couldn't run the forklift. I went to the other hardware building supply store.
I did find a very professional person though when I order windows, I am sure to call and be sure he is working. So good employees are there.
I try to be polite and patient as one can with them, but like anyone else when they get ridiculous, I react.
Oh BTW The employees are told to great customers as they walk by...
Sorry to have sidetracked this thread, I am glad you got a refund on the mower......

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #7  
I just wanted to toss my 2 cents into the mix.

I have been shopping all the big box home centers for all types of materials and they have covered about 75% of what I need but when I need a special part or something I would normally go to a specific supply house (elec., pluming, heat/AC…) to get it.

There is a small family owned hardware store in town that I use to never go into since everything seemed to be over priced by 50 cents to a buck it just made sense to head over to the big box store. Felt bad about it at the time but we all have to save our hard earned cash. Well with gas going up and my drive home from work takes me past that hardware store everyday, I find myself stopping nearly 2 or 3 times a month now. The guy who runs the store is really nice and has provided me with countless tips and advice that I would never have gotten from Bill Bob down at the big box store. I believe the gas prices might just help the small business owners.

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #8  
Hey Deaf your right. I actually do go to the "regular" hardware store for my needs like screws etc. they are far cheaper than HD or Lowes. This small trustworthy I go to sells the screws for less than HD. And what an interesting thing. Someone always asks can I help you.
Around here for plumbing etc the hardware store is where I head. And try to find stove pipe this time of year at the "box' stores. It isn't going to happen.Its seasonal they say.HMM well this is the season to do the stove pipe etc. I'm not going to wait till it snows. LOL
When Lowes came to town next to HD, one hardware store close by went under.And the Agway keeps an eye on Lowes prices.Agway carries your bags out too.That doesn't happen at Lowes.
I think what we all need to except, is that while Wal Mart and these stores say they are here for the customer, they really loose track of us. The employees are not only underpaid and benefited,(is that a word?LOL) but there are so many rules and policy's, that the people are frustrated, and its difficult for them to really see to our needs.They are many times struggling to make ends meet, and put food on the table, that our problem with our hot tub isn't important.
I make it a point not to treat the cashiers etc like a machine.Why not get them to laugh a bit.Make them feel more comfortable and we will get more from them.
Sorry to ramble on...Go Union wal mart...

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #9  
We bought a Husquavarna tractor mower from Lowes & quickly realized it was wayyyyyyyyyyyy too slow/small to mow our place. It was taking over 8 hours which ended up covering several days w/interruptions & the like. We took it back just after the 60day no hastle return period & their manager gave us store credit also. We went down to a local commercial mower dealer & bought a 60" Dixie Chopper for about 7000 & have never regretted it. That thing makes cutting grass actually fun!

/ Lowes Surpised me--took back my POS Troy mower #10  
Heh! I'm the customer that all the other customers in the store run to to ask questions about various items in the store. I can't go into a Lowes or Home Depot without another customer asking me for help on something. I have a friend who gets the same treatment. Apparently he and I look like we have a clue about hardware or something.