Low hour Ford 4600

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #31  
   / Low hour Ford 4600 #32  
Usually the "light material" buckets are bigger to haul more of the "lighter" stuff:confused3:

Just look at the difference. The one looks like it can haul about double of that smaller bucket. The smaller one almost looks like a dozer blade or something??? It does have me curious what its intended purpose is??

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9415593
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9371781
I see what you mean...

My 730 loader pdf calls the little one a 'light material bucket', then 'standard material' then 'stockpile'.. :confused3:

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #33  
the loosing coolant.. the white smoke.. and the overheating really concern me.

and now to hear it is a super utility model with the ugly weak front end. it's even less attractive.

201 engine from a 4600, front end from a 3000 and rear end from a 4600.

this thing is getting worse every time i read the thread.

whoever said a 4600su is a collector tractor wants your money bad...

The coolant issue scares me. Without knowing why its low, or where the leak is coming from, no way would I offer 6k+ even in the condition you describe.

The 4600 isnt really a "collector" tractor. So IMO, Things like the spin-out rims mean little unless you plan on working it as a row-crop tractor.
And when you see a tractor like this http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6299377 setting on a dealer lot that looks mint, has spinouts, etc, for only 6500, I would like to think a guy could waltz in there with 5500 and take it home no prob.

You are talking about spending MORE money, for a tractor with a known issue. But hey, its your money, and if you want it, get it. But personally, he is about 2x's too high and I'd walk.

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #34  
and it's a SU model.

No disrespect taken. I am just giving you my opinion. Not many 30-40 year old tractors are perfect. But are you worried about functionality/reliability?? or are you worried about everything being original?? Cause the 4600 isnt really a "collectable"....yet anyways.

Personally, I would rather have a tractor that looks like h3ll but is a good runner and reliable, than a tractor that has mechanical issues but is fine cosmetically, which is what it seems you are describing.

Again, this is just my opinion. Its hard to evaluate a tractor over the web. You asked for opinions, I have given you mine. You may end up with a tractor that looks parade ready but has a cracked block and be out $7500. Or it may be something simple and no major harm done. I dont know, I'm not there. But either way, I wouldnt pay 7500+ unless everything about the tractor was perfect. which it appears it isnt

/ Low hour Ford 4600
So I drove the 1988 4610 SU today. He's asking 9k for it. It cranked fast but ran rough. Lots of sign of wear and tear. Definitely not a 9k tractor. Looks like it had radiator issues and battery had totally destroyed battery box. Steering felt loose, damaged tach, clutch felt funny like not engaging correctly on and on. So going to look at another tomorrow.

/ Low hour Ford 4600
the loosing coolant.. the white smoke.. and the overheating really concern me.

and now to hear it is a super utility model with the ugly weak front end. it's even less attractive.

201 engine from a 4600, front end from a 3000 and rear end from a 4600.

this thing is getting worse every time i read the thread.

whoever said a 4600su is a collector tractor wants your money bad...

Sorry soundguy as I missed your post. Yes sir its an SU model which is what I need. No the front end is not as stout as the standard 4600 but handles and turns way tighter circles. This is what I need and want for working in tight spaces. I'm doing food plots for deer and turkeys and normally mowing and disking in tight quarters. I'm a part time farmer and Ford tractor nut I guess. The front ends are plenty stout for what I'm doing. They suck for front end loader work but they weren't designed for that application. Here in NC they can bring a premium due to small farms. Out west they are considered junk I'm sure.

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #37  
You should get tractors from here in the Midwest and take them back to sell.. would be a money maker.. :)

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #38  
well, you know your area, .

good luck.

Sorry soundguy as I missed your post. Yes sir its an SU model which is what I need. No the front end is not as stout as the standard 4600 but handles and turns way tighter circles. This is what I need and want for working in tight spaces. I'm doing food plots for deer and turkeys and normally mowing and disking in tight quarters. I'm a part time farmer and Ford tractor nut I guess. The front ends are plenty stout for what I'm doing. They suck for front end loader work but they weren't designed for that application. Here in NC they can bring a premium due to small farms. Out west they are considered junk I'm sure.