Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting.

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #1  

kjonfc

Tractor
IH 300, Ford 8N, LS G3038
I have a 2011 LS G3038 that just recently started making a loud hissing noise like pressure releasing when it's cranking over and starting. Also, seems a little hard to crank like the battery is low (fairly new battery). After that, it runs fine. Maybe a little more smoke than usual at start up, but not much. I have 630 hrs on the engine and haven't had any previous problems. Any ideas what might be going on?

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #2  
A hiss? :unsure:

Check your air cleaner?

This one is a bit odd. I'd like to see this one to diagnose further. Can you post a video with sound?

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #3  
Open the radiator cap and see if its drinking coolant. Could be a blown head gasket.

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting.
A hiss? :unsure:

Check your air cleaner?

This one is a bit odd. I'd like to see this one to diagnose further. Can you post a video with sound?
Hiss is the best way I can describe it in one word. It sounds like the pressure valve on an air compressor or like air brakes. It only does it when its cranking and starting up. Once it's running, the sound is gone.

I cleaned my air filter, it wasn't bad. I pulled the dipstick and didn't see any signs of water in the oil on it.

I'll try to get a video of it later this afternoon when I get off work.

Today the hiss seemed to be a bit shorter on startup and it started a little easier than it has been. I've attached it below. You have to have the volume up pretty good as I think Youtube has kind of supressed the high end.

Last edited:

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #7  
I know this sounds weird... but it could be your fan belt slipping. Make sure its tight.

Beyond that, I got nothing. I doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. Injector pump wouldn't make that sound... if it were a gas engine, I'd suggest a loose spark plug. But being a diesel if your injector was loose it would suck air and the tractor wouldn't run... same with glow plugs. We don't have an air compressor on it, or a vacuum system so... maybe its not air making that sound. It could be the fan belt or perhaps something hitting the fan making that sound at the lower speed? Turbo leak? I'm really guessing here.

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #8  
🐍

A hiss?

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #9  
Just what I want to see when diagnosing an engine noise--A video of the dash. o_O

/ Loud hiss/pressure release sound on starting. #10  
video seemed perfect to me, the weird sound was clearly heard, quick and to the point.