Lost number on stainless cooktop

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Not sure if this belongs here but given wealth of knowledge out there here goes:

we have a GE cooktop that is out of warranty (purchased 2/09 for 1400 bucks) It is "black glass" variety and has a stainless frame with the control panel in the middle and all the numbers relative to heat settings are just about gone. Dealer says..."Did you purchase extended warranty?...No? well that willbe $800 for a new stainless surround".

I can't believe this is a unique problem. Anyone have a similar experience? And if so how did you correct. the wife made the mistake of touchingup the numbers with one of those marker paints when itfirst started happening-and was under warranty. I should have played hardball right off the bat and demanded areplacement. Instead we were "reasonable".

Lesson learned

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop #2  
Bad service from GE........No duff?
I don't buy any appliances made in USA...: all the different brands belong to only a few companies..and they all suck. I hate to say it, but offshore stuff (except Chinese) are way better...and less costly, too

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop #3  
Red Horse, what is the model number on your cooktop? Does the $800 include installation?

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop #4  
Are the numbers really important? I mean, you turn the heat knob 1/10th or 1/4th or full of whatever. Cooking isn't that precise :thumbsup:

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop
Are the numbers really important? I mean, you turn the heat knob 1/10th or 1/4th or full of whatever. Cooking isn't that precise :thumbsup:
I hear you-and for that matter I could (and probably will) end up having the wife use her fine hand to use a paint stick again. Don't like the idea though that you spend a pile of money to do over a kitchen and you cook top that you use with "kentucky windage!"

Bad service from GE........No duff?
I don't buy any appliances made in USA...: all the different brands belong to only a few companies..and they all suck. I hate to say it, but offshore stuff (except Chinese) are way better...and less costly, too
No argument with your point on a consolidated manufacturing base. Then again I have heard of people that have had trouble with Bosch, Electrolux etc. And I do believe those brands are significantly more costly are they not?

as I look back on things, I think I would have to say we have had the least trouble with Kenmore. And for all I know GE may well have built some of those Kenmore appliances but perhaps Kenmore writes a tighter spec?

GE? In any case the "white appliance" group is on the block. Probably get snapped up by some Chinese outfit.

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop #8  
MD-It is a PP972SM2SS

That model number relates to that 36" cooktop with, GE, Whirlpool, and Maytag brand names on it.
The Black with S/S main assembly top is the most expensive, $607.00, where as the white one is $339.00.
So if the $800.00 includes installation, then that amount is the going rate.

/ Lost number on stainless cooktop #9  
That model number relates to that 36" cooktop with, GE, Whirlpool, and Maytag brand names on it.
The Black with S/S main assembly top is the most expensive, $607.00, where as the white one is $339.00.
So if the $800.00 includes installation, then that amount is the going rate.

I looked that up too. I couldn't tell what is included in that 'main assembly.' It could be new burners and everything?

MDO, Dave,
Thx guys- it is the ss surround only-and 800 is the part only. Looks life the wife is going to have to shjow how good a detail painter she is!