Lost apple crop

/ Lost apple crop #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I have a single McCoun apple tree that two years ago had an unbelieveable crop-never sprayed it and the tree was loaded-pick the fruit and hardly a blemish. Last year nothing. This year we had a wet spring and the tree was loaded with blossoms and then forming fruit. All of a sudden, every apple dropped.

Anyone have an opinion as to what causes that? I used to have two McCouns but one died. My property is about 500 ft from a large orchard so I guess I'm good from that perspective (polinization?)

Any opinions

/ Lost apple crop #2  
If I lived that close to an orchard, I'd be over there picking their brains. They know the local conditions, and should have the expertise to know more than most of us here.

/ Lost apple crop #3  
Trees getting enough water?

/ Lost apple crop #4  
When you lost your crop, chances are the neighbors are having problems also or know what your situation came from. Check with them.

/ Lost apple crop
thx guys-good advice

/ Lost apple crop #6  
My experience is that a stressed tree will produce an unusual amount of fruit (survival of the species I think). Maybe it was trying to tell you something 2 years ago. Does it appear healthy? Any idea of what killed the other one?

/ Lost apple crop #7  
I'm guessing the immature apples you saw on the tree weren't actually pollinated because of the wet weather at time of flowering, and thus were aborted by the tree.
I have this happen every year on my plum trees because they blossom so early, and the weather here is wet at the time.

/ Lost apple crop #8  
Well I have a single McCoun apple tree that two years ago had an unbelieveable crop-never sprayed it and the tree was loaded-pick the fruit and hardly a blemish. Last year nothing. This year we had a wet spring and the tree was loaded with blossoms and then forming fruit. All of a sudden, every apple dropped.

Anyone have an opinion as to what causes that? I used to have two McCouns but one died. My property is about 500 ft from a large orchard so I guess I'm good from that perspective (polinization?)

Any opinions

Seems like I remember that some Apple trees have a heavy crop one year and a lesser crop the next year. Apples do need other trees to pollinate, I always read that crab apples were good pollinators, so one question is, where is the pollinator tree?

Do you have Cedar trees within three miles or so? Cedar rust affect the tree. Some apple varieties resist Cedar rust, while others, not so much. Our place is loaded with Cedar trees and I know for a fact some are infected with rust but I only see the rust from time to time. There are very specific temperature and wetness requirements in the spring to see the rust.

Might want to take an apple or two to the county extension office and see what they think.

Later,
Dan

/ Lost apple crop #9  
More than likely a lack of pollination I would be guessing

Flowers but no fruit formed.

And there was a lot of spring rain where you are located you say?

There are some other issues may cause problems too like a late frost. But that didn't sem to be an issue this year for most growers around here.

I have few trees flowers looked great early in spring but I don't have much showing for fruit either.

On the other hand we going to have a decent year at the orchard. Some peaches are ready now and so are a the red sugar plums. Apples are coloring up but kind of small, enough rain but a lack of heat Last year was a big loss where as they year before was just awesome. Like was posted my own trees produced great that year too.

/ Lost apple crop #10  
More than likely a lack of pollination I would be guessing

Flowers but no fruit formed.

And there was a lot of spring rain where you are located you say?

There are some other issues may cause problems too like a late frost. But that didn't sem to be an issue this year for most growers around here.

I have few trees flowers looked great early in spring but I don't have much showing for fruit either.

On the other hand we going to have a decent year at the orchard. Some peaches are ready now and so are a the red sugar plums. Apples are coloring up but kind of small, enough rain but a lack of heat Last year was a big loss where as they year before was just awesome. Like was posted my own trees produced great that year too.
I think OP said that fruit had formed then dropped. I was wondering about lack of a near-by pollinator also (mentioned above) but with so many varieties now I admit that I don't know if there is a self pollinator or not.