Lost a doe

/ Lost a doe #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I have to say right on the beginning, that I am very serious about putting the deer down as fast as possible. I shoot the deer rifle at the range at least once a month and I shoot other guns and rifles too, like 10/22 and SMLE just to improve my skills.
So far it was working for me, this season I used four rounds (Winchester Silvertip in .270 WSM) to harvest 4 deer and the longest distance the deer made was 30 yards. Two heart shots and two lung shots. I would have to check my hunting records to count how many times I did not take a shot because I was not sure it was the best I could do.
Today I run out of luck and I feel like crap. We still have a doe season - till the end of March - and the deer were really moving, since there is a front going through tonight. I got to the woods at about 8AM, found a place under a tree with good view. 8:54 there was a herd of does passing by, didn't see me and I passed because of trees in the way, They never stopped. Fifteen minutes later came a nice sized doe and for some reason became interested in me and started walking closer. When she was behind a tree I pointed the rifle and waited. It was one of those shots you see the deer already hanging before you pull the trigger. She was quartering towards me. Well, it didn't happen. I shot her, she took of, I heard her trash and run here and there and that was it. The distance was maybe 40 feet, I am sure I hit her hard.
I went to check the spot 30 minutes later, there was decent blood and I started tracking. The next 4 hours I walked about 500 yards on my knees, there was sun and dry leaves and if there was a blood, I could find it but the blood run out and that was it. I tried to circle the last spot, but there just was no more blood to find. The last drops were the size of a pinhole on a leave, but crawling on all four you can still see it.
The rest of the day I was combing the area with no results:mad:
Sorry for venting but I feel like crap.

/ Lost a doe #2  
I understand the feeling. The first time I ever shot at a deer, I gut shot a doe (December, 1963) and we never could find her. Something like that just makes me sick.

/ Lost a doe #3  
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, sounds like you went above and beyond what any responsible hunter is expected to do, or would have done.

Just a guess, but at that distance with that round it may of been a case of to much penetration and not enough expansion. I know a little about firearms and shooting but am not an experienced hunter so this is just a thought.

JB.

/ Lost a doe #4  
It's easy for us to sit behind a computer and say it but don't worry too much about it. There are other critters out there that need to eat too. You sound like you really are caring for nature.

It's strange, when I was younger (12 or so) I would shoot birds, etc....just for fun. One day I shot a robin about 4ft away out of my tree house. He was clutching the branch so hard after I shot him that when he went to drop, he didn't let go. I remember him swinging back and forth like a swing for what seemed like forever. After that, I quite shooting birds for fun. Now, I have a hard time shooting things; when a deer gets hit and needs put down, etc. Heck, I had to shoot a mouse that I caught in a sticky trap. I shot him with a .22 pellet rifle. It didn't really bother me, but I thought about the poor little fella. I was thinking of the irony of how cute they were at the pet stoor, last night, when we took the kids out just to get out of the house. And, here I am catching the little pest and killing him.

Yeah, I'm a sissy.....unless it's a snake, spider, dangerous animal, etc...then it's dead!

/ Lost a doe #5  
I passed on the biggest buck I have ever seen for that very reason. We saw each other at the same time and I would have just been throwing lead so I just watched him disappear into a thicket...

I have fired 7 rounds to harvest my last 6 deer, like yours all were heart/lung shots.

Coyotes do have a purpose, if one puts your wounded deer down it could be a blessing.

/ Lost a doe #6  
I'll also chime in don't feel to bad. You did your best in trying to track her down.

The (how should I say this politely) IDIOT'S I can't stand are the ones I felt like beating last year. My neighbor let his grandson and a friend hunt on his property next door last year. I'm setting here pecking away at the keyboard (I think I was on TBN) and I hear a shot. It's dark out, check the clock and they are shooting 45 minutes after close of season for the day. I strap on a pistol and walk down the lane, up the road and head off into the woods to see what's up. Out come the two kids I don't recognize. I step out and say "Out shooting a little late aren't we". I get the I don't know what your talking about line. I stand there for a while and watch them walk off towards the farm. I figure I would wait for a while in the woods. Sure enough about 20 minutes I hear them back, now with their father who I know walking down through the field with flash lights. They see a blood trail cross over to my property and the dad said they need to come let me know they will be tracking a deer on my property (the father is a nice guy and friend). I step out and tell them to come on over informing the father how late they were out hunting. We pick up a blood trail like none I have ever seen before. Hoof print, hoof print, messed up blotchy blood patch's. Straight down along the fence row about 200 yards, turns left for another 200 yards, right into the woods for 300 yards and then a very erratic 100 or so yards more. There she is barely breathing on the ground with "NO REAR LEGS". The kid had shot her in the left rear knee joint, bullet passed through and hit the right rear knee joint. I have no idea how the poor thing ran over at least 800 yards on two rear stubs dragging what was left of her rear legs that were only hanging on by some tendons until she collapsed from either blood loss or exhaustion or both . I quickly put a 357 in her head to end her suffering. I was so angry by that point I could have beaten those kids to death. Not only were they out hunting after close of season for the day but they obviously took a shot on a wing and a prayer not even thinking if they could actually hit her or not. Unfortunately for her they did. Get's my blood boiling every time I think about it. The father and grandfather both punished him something fierce for his actions. I hope he learned a lesson.

My point is you tried your best and it didn't turn out the way we would all like it. It happens to the best of us. At least you understand proper hunting ethics.

/ Lost a doe #7  
I don't think you'll find a single deer hunter that has never lost a deer for an inaccurate shot. It is sad to see your prey suffer but nature will sort it all out and nothing goes to waste.

JC,

/ Lost a doe #8  
yeah, think of being held down by a grizzly bear while he slowly rips off your leg and chews on it........while you are still alive and having to watch your leg being eaten......:eek:

i'd say the doe was lucky.....

or an anaconda

or a crocodile

or a lion

I don't think you'll find a single deer hunter that has never lost a deer for an inaccurate shot. It is sad to see your prey suffer but nature will sort it all out and nothing goes to waste.

JC,

/ Lost a doe #9  
yeah, think of being held down by a grizzly bear while he slowly rips off your leg and chews on it........while you are still alive and having to watch your leg being eaten......:eek:

i'd say the doe was lucky.....

or an anaconda

or a crocodile

or a lion

yup, pretty nasty :eek: but we were talking deer class game. I always carry a very sharp foldable, lockback knife attached to my belt with a lanyard when I'm out and about in the woods. I guarantee you that I would not go without a fight if I ever get in to a pickle with 4 legged beast. If I ever go bear hunting then I will carry something more convincing in 45 caliber flavor on the side with me just for good measure. I always hunt alone deer hunting but bear hunting is totally a different gig.

JC,

/ Lost a doe #10  
Dieselpower, is it time to let your anger go with those 2 young boys? Young people make mistakes and no doubt they also felt horrible once they saw the deer. Plus they got punished somehting firce as you said. Look at what Flatheadedyounin wrote about a little Robin, he never did it again. Yooung people often do things they regret and grow up to not repeat them.

Czec- you are a good American! You went over and beyond what 99% of the hunters would do.