Loss of power

/ Loss of power #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Background - not sure if it applies: I had a 500+ hour service done a few weeks ago. New hydraulic filter and oil, new motor oil filter and oil. They didn't replace the fuel filter because they forgot to bring one.

Today I was chipper alders - nothing over 3" for about 2.5 hours. Not very hot today and temp gauge ran on the cool side. A few times the chipper got clogged and I would disengage and clean unit. Twice the engine idled down and just stall. Would start up and run fine.

Tonight I was returning from my buddies place down the road. Normally I would gear down to 3rd for this particular hill - I did and the tractor bogged down with no power. I shifted to 2nd and just barely made it up the hill. I continued on flat area of road and turned on to my lane. Same thing happened. I had to shift down to 3rd and 2nd - no amount of pedal could get rpm up. I stopped mid way up lane and started in 1st - shifted to second no problem.

Everything appears to be running smoothly. I am obviously missing something. Any insight?

TIA

PS: Along flat it accelerated fine up to my usual 2300 rpm 4th gear commute.
PPS: They adjusted clutch and brake linkage as well during the service.

/ Loss of power #2  
No expert of course so just throwing this out: it's not the rear hydraulic lever being in A or B instead of the middle "Off" position? I know you're running a geared trans but I've accidentally hit mine getting in and out of the seat and it's affected power. Hope it's something simple for ya!

/ Loss of power
Starks,

Thanks. I just went and checked and no. I did run it down the lane and back. Same problem -but not as bad. If I try to accelerate more - pressing down the pedal - it just looses power - rpm lowers.

If the clutch was going I would assume the rpm/tach would increase - correct?

TIA

/ Loss of power #4  
If the clutch was going, it's like you said; high rpm with no speed. Do you think they adjusted the brakes to tight? Does the pedal still have some freeplay or maybe it's locked in the park position? Maybe there is something wrong with the hydro filter and it's putting back pressure on the pump. Is this the first time you used it after the service? Maybe the problem isn't related.
Just guessing from what you mentioned.

/ Loss of power
Victor,

No - not the first time since servicing. Parking brake is off and there is some play.

TIA

/ Loss of power #6  
There are seldom coincidences. Defective hydraulic filter? Dealer used wrong fluid? What's your fuel bowl look like? Throttles up good in neutral?

/ Loss of power #7  
Low power in a diesel engine is often a result of a plugged fuel filter. Considering your dealer didn't change it as part of your service I would suggest trying that first. Plus it's cheap.

/ Loss of power #8  
On top of what Josh said it could also be a bad batch of fuel.
You can tell easily if the brakes are dragging by pushing in on the clutch on a slight grade and applying the brakes.
Then release the brakes and hold the clutch, you should be able to "feel" if the brakes are still on (dragging) or not.

BTI

/ Loss of power #9  
Think I'd have a look at the fuel and the fuel system.:thumbsup:

And check the voltage at the spark plugsLloyd!

/ Loss of power #10  
Hi,
Take the hose leading from the tank to the primary pump and let it run into a clear bottle. Check to see if it is cloudy and then let it set a while to see if it has water in it. Today's fuels are terrible and many dealers let their tanks get way too low and sometimes pump water.
The loss of power in normally a fuel supply or fuel quality problem when everything else runs smooth at idle or low power demand.
Good luck.
Dave G.
KiotiDave