Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels

/ Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
This morning I bought 6 of the the 10 R22.5 tires mounted on the Dayton radial style wheel for the 1989 Ford F700 16' flat dump that were pulled from wrecked school buses. The truck currently has the Dayton split rims that I want to get away from because more and more shops will not service tires mounted on split rims.

The two steers are Kumho KRS02's that have never been ran because the size printed on the tread and the rubber tips from the molds show no wear. They are dated 2008 and of course they look new in every way.

The four drives are new like retreads with matching drive tread. Two are Goodyear 2001 cases that really are not showing any weather cracking yet. Two are Michelin cases with one dated 2001 and one dated 1997. The 2001 Michelin case shows some weathering cracks but less than the 1997 Michelin case.

We have ran Michelin car tires for many years on at least one of our daily drivers but they were replaced every two years. This is my first experience with Michelin large truck tires.

While I am not concerned about the Michelin cracking on these G load rated tires I was just giving some feedback on these brands from what I saw today.

I guess being school buses the law does not permit retreads on steers but are OK on drives.

We were happy to find the set of six mounted radial tires and rims for $600. The two new Kumho's alone were worth that.

Details: Kumho KRS02 10 R22.5 14PR BSW - tires-easy.com

/ Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels #2  
That's a good deal..2 new tires and 4 others plus 6 rims for $600.

It's been a while, but I tried Michelin, Firestone, Good Year, BF Goodrich and others on my trucks (11R22.5 and 11R24.5). I never ran recaps on the steer axle, but had great success with recaps on the drive axles. I never had a recap failure that was not caused by the casing (under inflation, cuts in the sidewall). I found that Good Year had very stiff sidewalls, while Michelins were very flexible. (You notice that when you do your own tire installation.) I had the best luck with Michelin and BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin), and got the best bang for the buck with BF Goodrich. I got as many as 3 recaps on casings that started out new on steer axles (mostly Oliver retreads). Never tried Kumho.

I would probably mount the Michelins together on one side, that way the Good Year casing wouldn't be carrying more load due to the stiffer sidewall than a Michelin beside it. (But that's just me. ;))

/ Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels
Thanks for your point about sidewall stiffness. I was going to check heights and run the two Goodyear capped tires on the inside because the casing looked better but I am going to rethink that.

With Michelin sidewalls flexing more natually they are going to get the fine cracking look faster so maybe they just look like they are aging faster due to the flexing?

I just bought 7 of the Kumho KRS03 for the MH and did not know how much higher the 10 R22.5's are.

The F700 may only see 1000+ miles a year so am fine with the recapped drives. I am really excited they are already mounted on radial wheels so I will no longer have the split rims even if our current steers are brand new 10 x 20 tires/tubes.

We are going to wash up the tires/rims really well and inspect them well before we take them to get them mounted to the hubs.

The Firestones came off of a different bus than the Michelins so I expect they were paired in real life. I plan to run the max PSI stamped on the tires (I know 115 for the Kumhos) since being a truck we will be prepared for any thing.

/ Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels #4  
I have never messed with Michelin on big trucks but every time I have had them on a LT or a car I have had bad luck. Just like mentioned before, the soft sidewalls got me. That has left me not a fan of that brand.

If I were to mount them up I would do as you were thinking and put the Goodyears on the inside and the Michelin on the outer's.

Chris

/ Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels #5  
True split rims on a 1989? Thats kind of weird...

This morning I bought 6 of the the 10 R22.5 tires mounted on the Dayton radial style wheel for the 1989 Ford F700 16' flat dump that were pulled from wrecked school buses. The truck currently has the Dayton split rims that I want to get away from because more and more shops will not service tires mounted on split rims.

Details: Kumho KRS02 10 R22.5 14PR BSW - tires-easy.com

Great 50/50 on suggestions. :laughing:

Around here the narrow highly crowned roads I expect can put 60%+ on the inside tires. I can see that by the temp rise in the motorhome drives with the TST TPMS.

I like the best tires on the inside for that reason AND so I can visually better keep an eye on weaker tires when mounted on the outside. It may be a few days before I take it to town for the installation anyway.

Tomorrow I am going to take the right side mirror to the glass shop to get the glass replaced after my BIL caught a limb with it when we first got it.

True split rims on a 1989? Thats kind of weird...

Since the true split rims did go away a while ago today the term is used when talking about the two piece Dayton bias tire rims. The locking ring is split. :thumbsup:

More and more tire shops will not do these two part Dayton wheels and about the only tires for them come from China it seems. I may find someone with Dayton wheel system that just wants tires that will hold air. Two of the six are new 10x20's.

/ Loosing the Split Rim Dayton Wheels #8  
Why wouldn't they work on Dayton's? Do they misunderstand what a split rim actually is? The Dayton's aren't dangerous to air up, only a bit harder to get on straight.

They are OK working with Dayton radial rims. It is the two piece bias rims that they do not want to work with in part because staff does not understand how to seat the keeper ring but I think in part it is the manual labor involved to unseat a tire mounted 15 years ago due to rust, etc.

Hard work is to be avoided at all cost. :laughing:

While there is the service issue but it is the ability to find 10 R22.5 tires vs 10.00 x 20 bias tires too that makes loosing the two part rims in favor of the 1 part rim.

Well I had 'assumed' all six were G rated but the Michelins are only F rated. Not sure if mixing load ratings on the same side would be OK or not.:confused:

Dad aways said to load to the high side of the road but make sure the right tires were able to handle the extra weight shift if you dropped of the road, etc.

I think the G's will carry about 1200 more pounds as a pair than the F's but that may not be an issue in our case. I could try to come up with two more G's but for our use it may be a waist of time and money.