Loosening hydraulic fitting

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #1  

drumminj

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Anyone have any advice on loosening a fitting with NPT threads? Need to replace the flat-face coupler on my grapple and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get leverage to loosen the fitting.

I can get a crescent wrench on the hose and the fitting, but apparently don't have the brawn to break it loose.

Heat it (perhaps the grapple manufacturer used loc-tite)? Find a way to get it one end in a vice? Angle grinder? Plasma cutter? (okay, the last two are jokes).

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #2  
recently did this myself, changed from a ball to poppet connector on the grapple. Couldn't believe how tight it was, and yes, they "can" use a thread locker on them, mine is a Homestead Implements brand for reference.
It took both my wife and I with opposing 15" crescent wrenches to break them free, it just laughed at smaller tools, and she still had to brace the connector against the grapple to keep it straight and from me moving her. I was surprised how much force it took for that little 1/2 connector.

If you can get one end in a vice, that sure would be helpful. I was close to going that route.

Last edited:
   / Loosening hydraulic fitting #3  
Cheaters bars on the wrenches to increase leverage.

If loctite was used around 300 - 350 degrees is point most loctites will soften. At that temp You are cooking the oil.

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #4  
Put a cheater on the wrench or hit the wrench with a hammer.

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #5  
First off don't use adjustable end wrench ( Crescent wrench) use a open end wrench...... Adjustable end wrenches tend to flex and loosen and round off the hex of the fitting.... Two thing the may help... Section of pipe (cheater) to extend length for more leverage on wrench to apply more force.... Also try hitting the outer end on wrench with a hard tap with hammer, sometimes the "shock" if a hammer strike will break the bond, and yes as above some heat may be necessary if thread locker has been used... ALSO you want a BACKUP WRENCH on threaded portion of pipe or hose to prevent it from being twisted while trying to loosen fitting...

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #6  
Definitely get wrenches that fit the hose and coupler and do not use adjustable wrench.

The way I have found that works real well is position the wrenches close together. Put one wrench on the hose end then position the other wrench on the coupler so that the end of the wrench is close but a little higher than the hose wrench. Now I just squeeze the two wrenches together with my hands.

It is amazing how much force you can put on a fitting like that. I have tightened some so tight using that method that the fitting snapped trying to stop a leak.

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting
recently did this myself, changed from a ball to poppet connector on the grapple. Couldn't believe how tight it was, and yes, they "can" use a thread locker on them, mine is a Homestead Implements brand for reference.
It took both my wife and I with opposing 15" crescent wrenches to break them free, it just laughed at smaller tools, and she still had to brace the connector against the grapple to keep it straight and from me moving her. I was surprised how much force it took for that little 1/2 connector.

This is for a Homestead grapple as well. Glad to hear it isn't just me! It really is hard working when you're tethered to the implement -- mine's on a wood dolly so I have some flexibility, but it's still a struggle to find something to lever/brace against

Cheaters bars on the wrenches to increase leverage.

If loctite was used around 300 - 350 degrees is point most loctites will soften. At that temp You are cooking the oil.

So you think using a heat gun on the connection is a bad idea?

First off don't use adjustable end wrench ( Crescent wrench) use a open end wrench...... Adjustable end wrenches tend to flex and loosen and round off the hex of the fitting.... Two thing the may help... Section of pipe (cheater) to extend length for more leverage on wrench to apply more force.... Also try hitting the outer end on wrench with a hard tap with hammer, sometimes the "shock" if a hammer strike will break the bond, and yes as above some heat may be necessary if thread locker has been used... ALSO you want a BACKUP WRENCH on threaded portion of pipe or hose to prevent it from being twisted while trying to loosen fitting...

Extra leverage won't help if I can't find a way to brace against something, which is part of my struggle. I have the hose with two wrenches on it, but the longer the handles, the harder to keep it steady.

Will have a go again today with these suggestions. I don't think I have an open-ended wrench big enough for the fitting side, but possibly do for the hose.

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #8  
worst case, you can probably get the other end of the hose off fairly easy, but it'll make a mess, maybe plug it with a golf tee or something, then walk it to a vice and get it apart with force. I had the same issue, I didn't have an open end wrench big enough, hence the adjustable one.

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting
worst case, you can probably get the other end of the hose off fairly easy, but it'll make a mess, maybe plug it with a golf tee or something, then walk it to a vice and get it apart with force. I had the same issue, I didn't have an open end wrench big enough, hence the adjustable one.

Turns out I was able to break it free in the cooler weather this morning. Just two crescent wrenches.

Got both couplers replaced so hopefully I don't have to fight so hard to get them attached to the tractor (I think the male coupler on the grapple was damaged)

/ Loosening hydraulic fitting #10  
good deal, 2 crescents for the win, same thing I did (y)