Loose lower link pins on implement

/ Loose lower link pins on implement #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
The box blade I bought today has loose lower link pins. They appear to be threaded all the way tight, there just aren't enough threads on them to let the nut squeeze all the way down on the metal of the frame. It seems to me they might oval out after a while or something. Should they be tight? Can I fix this by just putting washers on, or should I get some new pins that are threaded all the way down, or what?

/ Loose lower link pins on implement #2  
The box blade I bought today has loose lower link pins. They appear to be threaded all the way tight, there just aren't enough threads on them to let the nut squeeze all the way down on the metal of the frame. It seems to me they might oval out after a while or something. Should they be tight? Can I fix this by just putting washers on, or should I get some new pins that are threaded all the way down, or what?

The washers should do the job...I suggest you use a lock washer too.

/ Loose lower link pins on implement #3  
I've fought this several times on my bb. Last time I bought some new pins and put them on with red loctite. That's been two years and some hard use and they still are tight.

/ Loose lower link pins on implement #4  
Had the same issue when I bought a used blade. One of the pins was tight, other was loose. Thought I could just tighten it up and then realized it was as tight as it could be. Replaced it with a longer threaded link pin like was on the other side. Never knew that there are different thread lengths. Thought Cat 1 was Cat 1. New pin came with lock washer and nut and was only $2.99. Easy fix.

Last edited:
   / Loose lower link pins on implement
Had the same issue when I bought a used blade. One of the pins was tight, other was loose. Thought I could just tighten it up and then realized it was as tight as it could be. Replaced it with a longer threaded link pin like was on the other side. Never knew that there are different thread lengths. Thought Cat 1 was Cat 1. New pin came with lock washer and nut and was only $2.99. Easy fix.

Yup. I see that is exactly what the problem was. Makes me wonder where this blade's history is, since there's no way any manufacturer would ship one with loose link pins. But no biggie. I got the other pins out--one was stuck and had to be cut off--and will get some replacements tomorrow.

/ Loose lower link pins on implement #6  
Not sure why mine had the wrong pin too. There was no wear on the pin hole so I'm guessing it was never used with the loose pin. It was however a bear to take off, so it must have been sitting outside a while with the wrong pin installed! Needed lots of penetrating oil and a pipe wrench on the pin to loosen up the nut. Was rusted on pretty good.

/ Loose lower link pins on implement
Not sure why mine had the wrong pin too. There was no wear on the pin hole so I'm guessing it was never used with the loose pin. It was however a bear to take off, so it must have been sitting outside a while with the wrong pin installed! Needed lots of penetrating oil and a pipe wrench on the pin to loosen up the nut. Was rusted on pretty good.

Same here. I ended up cutting one of them off. How did you use a pipe wrench on the pin? I ended up using vice-grips on the pin, but I kept thinking there had to be a better way.

/ Loose lower link pins on implement #8  
joshuabardwell said:
Same here. I ended up cutting one of them off. How did you use a pipe wrench on the pin? I ended up using vice-grips on the pin, but I kept thinking there had to be a better way.

Nothing special. Pipe wrench grabbed the pin just like a pipe. Pushed down on pipe wrench while pulling up on large adjustable wrench on nut and she broke loose.