Loose Ford backhoe swing chain

/ Loose Ford backhoe swing chain #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hi all, after a lot of work I finally got the BH mounted on the new tractor. It's a Ford 4400 with a 753 (13') BH mounted to it. I bought the BH a couple years ago. My other tractor died so this is the first time I've had a chance to try it all out. The levers are stiff, but they're starting to loosen up. My big problem is the loose swing chain. I know the swing cylinders are single acting and only pull. The boom will swing left/right. With the boom in the center, If I stop at the 45* position, the boom will coast all the way to the 90* position. The BH hasn't seen hardly any work at all. It was sitting under a pavilion for a long time before I got it. Any ideas as to what I should be going after.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 2,966
   / Loose Ford backhoe swing chain #2  
How about some pictures or video.

/ Loose Ford backhoe swing chain #3  
Unless the cylinders are completely wore out it has to be the swing chain and there are no adjustments for it I could see.

/ Loose Ford backhoe swing chain #4  
It's not the swing chain. It works or it don't there is no in-between The Cylinders are the issue been running a 755 15' hoe for 20 years and a 753 like your's for 22 years the link that attaches to the Cylinders break most but trust me its in the Cylinders

/ Loose Ford backhoe swing chain
Thanks for the help guys. I was working on it today and going through the manual. The manual says slack in the chain is controlled by the flow control valve inside the cushioning valve. I unhooked the the cushioning valve from the control valve. I put both ends in a bucket, started the tractor and oil was coming out of one hose. I moved the handle in both directions. Oil only came out of one hose but came out faster when I moved the lever. This leads me to believe that the problem is in the control valve spool. Is there anything in there that can break and give blow by?

Edit: When the tractor is running with all lines connected. If I remove the main return line (line going to the reservoir frame) no oil comes out of the main line until I pull a lever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 1,730
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 3,131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
   / Loose Ford backhoe swing chain
Quick update: Got it done today. Bought 2 new valves from CL. The PO had the wrong fittings on the bottom of the cushioning valve, compaired to the CL valve. Swapped out the fittings and it still didn't work. The manual doesn't say anything about the larger 3/8" hole fittings goes on the top(to valve). I removed the crossover hose, that's the hose that goes between the swing cylinders (at the rear of the cyl). Oil & water poured out(more water). Swung the boom side to side with the crossover hose off a few times and the chain is dead tight now. I'm not sure if oil is supposed to flow through that hose but not a drop comes out when it swings. Unless there's something I'm missing, It's done as far as I'm concerned.