Loose clothing - dumb

/ Loose clothing - dumb #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
The first really warm day was glorious yesterday. I figured I would do some work in the yard with the BH.

Well, it got hot so I put on loose walking shorts. Later, when I was getting off the tractor to walk to the back get onto the hoe (Kioti has 2 seats, one for tractor and one for hoe), the gear shift lever went up in my loose pant leg and snagged as I got off. I was actually pulled off my footing since my upper body momentum was already well into exit mode and I got hung for a moment. Then, I actually was pulled off my footing and fell off the side of the tractor onto the ground with my legs up on the floor of the tractor.

Lesson about loose clothing loud and clear.
Not proud of it but nothing is broke and I'm not hurt so I'm not afraid to admit that I am still learning and I have to be more careful as a new operator. Also, I'm glad I had the parking brake on and the tranny in neutral or maybe somehow I could have run myself over or broke something. Everybody be careful!

/ Loose clothing - dumb #2  
Happy to hear you didn't get hurt and thanks for sharing...All it takes is a second.

Don

/ Loose clothing - dumb #3  
I can relate jim. I was getting off the tractor from BH position when my loose flannel jacket got caught on the joystick. The BH boom was on the ground at the time and the joystick was moving the boom to MY direction!! There I was - standing there horrified trying to stand taller to releive the pressure on joystick with boom still coming. In my last ditch effort I yanked on the jacket as hard as i could and ripped the jacket and everything came to a stop! As I breathed a sigh of relief, I relized how darned lucky I was and everything could have turned for the worse. From this day forward, the tractor is set at idle where the hydralics will not work before I get off. I don't care how much time it takes to rev down before getting off, but I am not going to go through that again!!! This is the only time I ever had a "unsafe operation" with my tractor and I certainly hope it the last time. (oh yeah, I used the ripped jacket to get a new one. It was getting old and ratty anyways ;))

Glad to hear you not hurt jimmyj!

/ Loose clothing - dumb #4  
Glad to hear your ok..
I've done some similiar things, but so far I hae managed to escape injury..
It always happens when one is tired and lets the guard down..

Later,
J

/ Loose clothing - dumb #5  
Seems to me its more of a lesson on not wearing shorts than loose clothing.

/ Loose clothing - dumb #6  
I was bushogging with a loose sweater-shirt on and as I moved my arm forward the sleeve caught the 3 point lift lever and lifted the full speed running bushhog all the way up before I could stop it. Luckily, it just threw a little dirt on me, but those blades turning full speed just a short way from my head was very unnerving.

/ Loose clothing - dumb #7  
These posts are so good, more and more stuff to be mindfull of.

Seems to happen when tired or when rushed.

Pays to take your time.

Thanks for sharing,
Joel

/ Loose clothing - dumb
Greenmule, I think if the shorts were not so baggy they would not have snagged on the lever. That's what I meant, point taken though, anything and everything may be a risk.

/ Loose clothing - dumb #9  
You will now have to wear your tight fitting Speedo's while tractoring.:)

John