Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #51  
With 20 acres and lots of downed trees: Are you planning to move and save the trees or burn them? If the option is to move them, a tractor with a Farmi winch makes more sense. While you can lift heavy logs, on flat or nearly level land, it makes more sense to drag them, and you can drag much more weight than you could dream of lifting.

For my 2 cents: As you are new to tractors, having a known dealer nearby can be a plus. While "name" brands might be more expensive, you get what you pay for. I have had my 'used' Kubota for over 20 years now and I have never had to call the dealer except for replacing 2 hydraulic hoses.

My nephew runs a maple syrup operation. In 2009, he purchased a new Kubota L3130HST for use there. In 2010, he purchased a 170 acre wood lot that he uses for maple syrup production. On it, he taps the maple trees and thins the woods for firewood. The wood lot is 3 miles from his main maple sugar operation. In 2013, he purchased a used Kubota L3130HST (4WD) with 2200hrs and with LA723 FEL and the subframe for the backhoe attachment, which he also owned on his other L3130. He did that so he would not have to truck the other tractor back and forth to the wood lot. He also purchased a Farmi winch. With that tractor, FEL, and Farmi winch he manages the woods on that lot. The land is hilly and the Farmi also allows him to make and maintain some crude roads. The winch allows him to skid logs out from steep hilly areas he would not drive on. He also has a used 60" snow blower that he uses to clear the main entrance road to the wood lot. With a few issues to be fixed, he paid $13,200 for the tractor, but it was well under $25k. He has now had that used tractor for 10 years, it starts in cold VT weather, and it still runs strong.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #52  
Hi just joined the group, I’m looking for opinions on what tractor to get I’m thinking that a compact is what I need. I’ve got a little over 20 acres in north east Texas a lot of timber on the property a lot of down trees needing cleaning up and piles to burn.

I’m planning to do a lot of heavy lifting in addition to a good bit of dirt work. That said I require a front end loader, a box blade and eventually like to get a grappler and a brush hog and I’m sure other implants down the road. I’ve gone to several of the local tractor dealers just looking and having no real ideas on what to get.

For the little bit of research that I have done I like a lot of the standard options the new Summit tractor offers. I know it is not a well established company and only time will tell.

One thing I would prefer is that the tractor not need DEF because of the added complexity of them and from what I’ve heard they can be more finicky. I’ve been advised to stay away from the tractors with regin systems.

Additionally I would like to stay under 25k

Thanks in advance.
Get a used backhoe. Case 580, Deere 310 / 410, Cat 415. Preferably with clam bucket. Compact tractor way too small for heavy lifting and clearing. If you buy it right and take decent care of it you will be able to sell it after the heavy work and get the wimpy tractor.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #53  
I bought a Branson 3515h last year now it’s the tym 3515h. I live in the same area as you , with 25 acres. I got mine at BigTex Tractors in caddo mills and had it delivered. I think a 2515h would fit in your budget. It one of the biggest framed 25 hp tractor out there and about 2/3 the price of the green/orange. On their website they have 2515h with a mower and box blade for about 23000. If you can’t get the grapple yet try to get the 3rd function installed at purchase. I would also get the tires loaded if possible. A set of forks would also serve you well until you can afford a grapple.
I think you will find the lifting capacity and weight of the tractor is the best you are going to find in that price point of 25k.
Definitely check out big Tex I think you will find what you are looking for. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #54  
As stated before I would be looking for a used industrial tractor. They can be equipped the same as ag tractors and may or may not be equipped with a backhoe. Just be sure if you need a three point and pto they are equipped with such or have an attachment for.
Having worked for a Massey dealer I know they can be equipped with or without.
The reason I recommend this is because industrial tractors are built for digging in the "dirt" and lifting heavy loads. Ag loaders are basically built for utility work and manure, and are easily destroyed in earth moving.
Industrial tractors can also be equipped with a powered front axle, and depending on how they are built they are a lot more stable than most compacts

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #55  
Buy more tractor than you think you’ll need - your need for increased power & lift capacity will grow. The rule of shop size applies so go as big as you can. Also consider your hydraulics; remotes & enough flow for any implements you’ll want.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #56  
As an amateur with 20 years and three tractors' worth of experience, mostly clearing snow, gathering firewood and putting in fencing, I'll chime in with this: Something like a used Kubota L3130 (newer version if you can find something) with a pallet fork/grapple, a box blade, bush hog, and loader bucket should be a good starter tractor. You'll probably want a post hole auger, and maybe a backhoe? All the various implements will add cost, so keeping the basic tractor/loader at well under maybe $16K or so would be my goal. Certainly all within your budget. I've had three completely trouble-free used Kubotas, and should I ever need a replacement, it'd most likely be another Kubota. I've never needed any dealer assistance. The L3130 was a heavy, but not that powerful, tractor. Did a lot of work, just not as quickly as a more powerful machine would. You can get a lot more machine for your money buying used. Since you're in Texas, a cab with AC will be something you want.

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #57  
I bought a used JD310SE backhoe as soon as I moved to Texas cause I knew I was going to be moving a LOT of dirt, digging lots of trenches for drainage and general grading work. In the two years I've owned it its been a workhorse. Almost zero issues. It's a 2000 model with less than 4000 hours. Paid 31k for it. Could probably get 40k for it now.
Also have a Yanmar YT359C for lighter work and less issues with weight damaging the yard. I use a Ferris ZTR for cutting the grass. We only have four acres but these last 2 years I did major dirt work around the property. I may never sell the backhoe cause I know as soon as I do I'll be needing it.
Word to the wise... tree stumps aren't for small machines. Even full size backhoes you need to dig around the stump first to rip the lateral roots before you can even think about pulling it out. Talking about 12" dia and up trunks. It's amazing how a tree grips the ground. I've taken out at least 50 stumps over the years, many I had to dig a ramp into the hole to roll it out as it was as tall as the hoe when on edge.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #58  
I agree on that consideration of a TYM 2515, it is a large size 25Hp and has FEL capacity of 2200# at the pins. And 3300 hitch lift.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #59  
Get a used backhoe. Case 580, Deere 310 / 410, Cat 415. Preferably with clam bucket. Compact tractor way too small for heavy lifting and clearing. If you buy it right and take decent care of it you will be able to sell it after the heavy work and get the wimpy tractor.
That's my advice exactly. Get a yellow machine, and the same models he said: Case 580 first, then JD310/410, and the Cat 415/416 last. I put them in that order because of the ease of home maintenance, expense of parts and and cost of any dealer repair. But really I wouldn't advise buying one that needs any repairs. These heavy built commercial machines are amazingly durable. They tend to simply get old and sloppy and leaky long before anything breaks.
The yellow machines have plenty of power, weight, and operator safety. Get one that starts easily in the cold and with a decent transmission. Expect to put $1500 into new tires and a battery. Plus another $500 into filters and oil change.
Buy a good old tired one, use it as needed, and you can probably sell it for the same price ten years down the road.

That's what I recommend because we know it works well. But it only works if you are comfortable buying a a used machine.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #60  
I am pretty much a noob as well, and found a really nice 1986 YM336D with less than 200 hrs that fits my needs perfectly. Another factor beyond needing DEF that made a newer tractor a non starter for me was the fact that they are chock full of electronic components and require computerized diagnostic tools to service. I want to be able to fix it myself with a minimum of special tools or equipment. You may want to consider the possibility that you may end up in limp mode with some little glitch that requires plugging in to fix it. Sometimes repairing small purely mechanical issues can trigger fault codes. I wanted no part of that. Something like this YM3110D is probably at the lower end of what you need but there is money left over for ballast and attachments. These Yanmars are built like tanks, and Fredericks is authorized by Yanmar to rebuild them and use the Yanmar name. Good parts availability. No affiliation with Fredericks. I was ready to pull the trigger until I found the one I bought for a deal that was too good to pass up. You may be better served by buying a nice smaller tractor that will handle many tasks, and get a "beater" to do the heavy lifting. I have a neighbor that has a fleet that looks like they are scrap, but they all work hard.

YM3110D