Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #11  
I agree with @shooterdon, that a 35-40 HP machine would be the entry point for the work required. A $25k budget puts the op into the used tractor category of this size.
As far as emissions, I have a 40hp DPF tractor, and the emissions have been a non issue over the past 800 hours. I wouldn't discount a DPF tractor.
I do occasional brush moving with just plain pallet forks, but I think for more frequent brush work I would want a full - blown grapple. The add on pallet thumbs seem handy, but I personally wouldn't want to go half way with one.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #12  
welcome to TBN ... keep us up to date on the development of your purchase and don't be afraid to ask the questions you might have.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #13  
I'll second not worrying about the emissions systems on tractors between 25.5 and 75hp. Excepting a few models, some of which are no longer sold, they're pretty reliable. And the exhaust is cleaner, which is good for your lungs. Tractors under 75hp don't need DEF and their emissions limits are easier to reach than for tractors over 75hp and pickup trucks, so their emission systems are simpler and they have a lot fewer issues.

A grapple is super useful for moving logs (when cut to length), tree parts and brush around. If your property is steep or heavily wooded, a forestry winch can be useful for getting trees out to where you can cut them up or move them with the tractor. Check out videos on youtube to see how they're operated. They also can be used to drag logs with the butt end high so it damages your roads less. A logging arch can do the same. A PTO powered chipper can be useful for getting rid of tree slash and brush, especially when its not safe to burn piles.

There, I think I got you up to about $45k. :)

You don't need all that stuff right away or maybe ever, just letting you know what's out there. For attachments like the grapple and winch, having a large enough tractor can be a help.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #14  
I'm close in SW Arkansas. Get a 50-75 horse 4x4 and you'll be happy. There was a nice Ford 3930 in dekalb for sale while back. It was 4x4 too.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #15  
Find a used CTL. Much more suitable for your application, and much more robust / less fragile.

Tractors are primarily designed for dragging things around And farming type operations . Various types of construction equipment are for dirt work, land clearing, etc, and are much more rugged by design, as a result.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #16  
best tractor ever was the Hoyt Clagwell.(y)
They last forever.
Inexpensive and they will run on a variety of fuels.
If you want a good machine, simple, heavy, no emissions nonsense look at a Massey Ferguson 2600H series.
Built old school and reasonably priced. Cheaper than orange, blue or green machines of similar options.
If you buy new you won't be inheriting someone else's headache and you'll have 5 years of warranty. Enough time to learn how to do your own maintenance and repairs.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #17  
You say you have a lot of downed trees to clean up. It might be helpful for you to estimate the weight of what you will be dealing with. There's a handy chart in the middle of the page here: Green Log Weight Charts & Calculator | Sherrilltree

Once you estimate the weight of the trees, then look at loader capacity. Chances are the trees will be heavier than the loader capacity of a 25hp tractor. Your choice then becomes whether to look at buying a bigger tractor or a compact track loader with more lifting capacity or having to saw the trees into more manageable sections (more work and slower).

If you are dealing with a lot of trees, then a grapple will help compact the smaller canopy limbs from the tree tops before moving them. It's much faster to grab a bunch of downed limbs and move them with a grapple than do this by hand or use forks. Tree limbs don't arrange themselves in convenient piles to pick up with forks in my experience. However, you can do a lot with forks and they are certainly more affordable to start with.

Often, you will need to pay to add third function controls to allow you to operate the hydraulic cylinder(s) on the grapple. MTL Attachments makes a 48" grapple that sells for about $1,300. The third function controls may cost $550-1000 on up depending on what you buy and whether you install it yourself. You can buy larger grapples to use with larger tractors and the price goes up from there.

If you have areas where a tractor can't go, you might consider buying a forestry winch that would allow you to winch them out. That's about a $4,300 item.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #18  
At least in our area;dairy country;I would look for a 70-100 hp used machine with FEL.Why: that size;too big for most home-owners and too small for most farmers.
Buy a "name brand" with a fairly local dealer.
I would drop that down to 60 to 90 hp... but sure do agree with the reasoning - you want a tractor too big for homeowners and too small for crop farmers, but that size would be just right for a 20 acre "chore tractor". Especially if the 20 acres is a bit rough with too many trees.

It's also a size range where a machine with a couple of thousand hours is considered "reasonable hours". And it is a size where your budget will buy a 15 to 20 year old pre-emissions machine with a stout front end loader, category II 3pt with extra hydraulics, and plenty of decent life left. Those older larger tractors can last a long, long time.

Hold out for a name brand in good shape. Your budget is reasonable & will buy a good one of that size. Right now the tractor market is upside down with so many new rural homeowners buying now. So that same budget wouldn't buy much in the 30 to 50 hp size.
And for handling lots of downed trees in rough terrain you really want a tractor in the over 50/60 hp. size.
rScotty

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #19  
Howdy neighbor! We have slightly less acreage in the Northern Piney Woods. We're a bit south of Lake Bob Sandlin.

I recently ordered a TYM T574H. It is a little higher than your target price, but is feature loaded and well suited to our area and trees. It is a heavy, strong tractor. 4 dealers less than 90 miles from here (Longview, Carthage, Caddo Mills and Tyler). My tractor out the door was less than $30k. You can save roughly $2500 by getting the T494H which is exactly the same tractor without the turbo. If you prefer a shuttle shift, you can shave off another $1500 or so. That would get you pretty close to your price with a full warranty and dealer support.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #20  
Once you estimate the weight of the trees, then look at loader capacity. Chances are the trees will be heavier than the loader capacity of a 25hp tractor. Your choice then becomes whether to look at buying a bigger tractor or a compact track loader with more lifting capacity or having to saw the trees into more manageable sections (more work and slower).

Do keep in mind one generally isn't lifting the trees/logs to full height, and so one can likely move larger logs than the "published" spec if you're going to keep it low, which is safer anyhow.

For example, my LA765 will lift 1263lbs to "max height" (2673mm, 500mm forward of pins), but 1726lbs to 1500mm -- roughly 60" and roughly 2200lbs to 20" based on the published lift capacity curve.