Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase?

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #1  

Dave126

Tractor
none
I have been looking at buying my first tractor and wondering if there is something that I should at before final decision.

I have looked at used and new in a few other brands and came down to used 2018 1025r with 440 hours for $18,000 cad, the used GC1720 for $17,500 and the new BX23s for $6500.00 more.

The salesman said the Massey is a better more redefined unit and a little more powerful but both are great units and will do the same job. The dealer probably sells 15 Kubota's to 1 Massey in the compact market.

I will probably put about 200 hours on it over the next year or so and then the usage will drop to 50 per year. Its main purpose will be to redo the property landscape, maintain 100 FT gravel driveway and dig footings for new deck and install concrete pad for garage. The property is 130 FT x 275 FT

The tractor that I am looking at is a 2016 GC1720 TLB with 130 hours. It was a little dirty for a close first look but the only things that I noticed was HYD fluid on backhoe cylinder closet to the seat was a little wet. Possible leak at seal. I did not see any pitting or marks. The only other thing was one on the teeth on the backhoe has loose.

The diff lockup floor leaver seemed stiff and I did not know how to test and see if it worked.

I don't know when the HDY filter should be changed but the one on the tractor looked original because it was the same color as the diff. I assume that if was painted when built.

Is there any common problems that I should look for on the tractor and is this tractor a solid trouble free unit? The dealer sells both Masseys and Kubota's.

The low hours seems worth taking the risk on a used unit. Still has 18 months powertrain warranty remaining.

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #2  
Hi, I see new (2018) GC1720 dealer leftovers for almost the same price at Brunos.
Diff lockup being stiff if the tractor is running?
Check the drive train and especially the fan underneath in front of the rear wheels.
First service should have been at 50 hours.
I have had mine for two years with zero problems and love it. Lots of functionality and good lift/curl power.

However, what do you want to use it for, what kind of work? Do you have 5 acres, 1 acre, 30 acres? Lots of woods. Do you intend to mow, push snow, level a gravel driveway?
All of these inputs and your general location would make giving you advice easier.

Welcome to TBN and I hope we can all give you enough info to help you make this decision.

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase?
Hi, I see new (2018) GC1720 dealer leftovers for almost the same price at Brunos.
Diff lockup being stiff if the tractor is running?
Check the drive train and especially the fan underneath in front of the rear wheels.
First service should have been at 50 hours.
I have had mine for two years with zero problems and love it. Lots of functionality and good lift/curl power.

However, what do you want to use it for, what kind of work? Do you have 5 acres, 1 acre, 30 acres? Lots of woods. Do you intend to mow, push snow, level a gravel driveway?
All of these inputs and your general location would make giving you advice easier.

Welcome to TBN and I hope we can all give you enough info to help you make this decision.

I am in Canada so the $17500.00 cad is only $12900.00 US. A new one would GC1725 would be around $27000.00 cad.

My property is only just over 3/4 of an acre. About 1/3 is wooded. Its main purpose will be to redo the property landscape, maintain 100 FT gravel driveway, dig footings for new deck and install concrete pad for garage. Maybe clear some snow in winter but we don't usually get much in this area, maybe used snow blower 5 times in the past two years. But that's not always the case.

I think to many its a incentive to make yardwork and projects more fun.

I guess i was just asking if there are items that I should pay extra special attention too, when inspecting the tractor before purchase.

Thanks, I will check the fan. Does it run constant or cycle on and off.

You said first service at 50 hours. Does this include changing all the HDY fluid?

Should I be concerned about the backhoe cylinder being a little wet? Could it be just a little dirt under the lip of he seal and can it be cleaned out.

Thanks

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #4  
130 hours is really low. I can't imagine that a hydraulic cylinder would start leaking with so little use but if nothing else, it gives you a bargaining chip. I would ask the dealer to warranty the cylinder and do a complete service on the tractor including changing the hydraulic fluid and filter. Check the loader and backhoe pins for grease. that should give you an idea how the previous owner took care of the machine. There should be no excess play in the pins etc.

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase?
130 hours is really low. I can't imagine that a hydraulic cylinder would start leaking with so little use but if nothing else, it gives you a bargaining chip. I would ask the dealer to warranty the cylinder and do a complete service on the tractor including changing the hydraulic fluid and filter. Check the loader and backhoe pins for grease. that should give you an idea how the previous owner took care of the machine. There should be no excess play in the pins etc.

130 hours is low, so the savings is great over new. There is still 20 months of power train warranty left on tractor.

At a quick glance it looked like it was being grease but I do not know how to check for wear. Do you just watch for movement of pin when pressure is applied to pivot point?

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #6  
130 hours is low, so the savings is great over new. There is still 20 months of power train warranty left on tractor.

At a quick glance it looked like it was being grease but I do not know how to check for wear. Do you just watch for movement of pin when pressure is applied to pivot point?

Yes, this is a good price and I agree , see if they can fix the seal or make it's replacement part of the deal if it goes south.
The 50 hour service will show how bad the hydraulic oil is, should be pretty clean. Very little metal. Mine was clear and no flakes.
run the BH and FEL and look for anything loose, but some links will move side to side a bit as space is left for grease.
The Fan is underneath to keep the hydraulics and tranny cool, just a white plastic fan.
Make sure 4 WD engages, disengages while on soil or grass (never have engaged on hard surfaces like tarmac/cement). (can be a bit stubborn to disengage, just tap forw/rev to relieve pressure)
Check radiator screen to see if it is clean, pulls straight up.
Check oil level, but hard to tell how old oil is from just looking at it in diesel, would need an analysis, but that takes time.

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #7  
And if you need us to look at something on ours or do photos to compare just let me know.

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #8  
thats a pretty good deal, hasnt even got to its first hydo change yet:) One thing I would look at is the hydraulic screen to see if there is any shavings in it but I doubt it will have any at 130 hours.
The color of the filter from AGCO is always the same color as the case. My GC2410 is 10 years old and I still have about 270 hours on it. Seems low because IMO I use it alot.

Loose teeth and seeping cylinders are not show stoppers because they can easily be repaired by owners who are somewhat handy. The transmission and engine are everything...

I spoke to the dealer today and they replaced the seal on the cylinder, greased unit and found no other problems and it ready to view.

Glad to hear that the filter is always the same color as the case. I and assuming that it was already replaced at least once.

I did check the rad screen on first viewing and it was spotless. I did not check air filter.

Engine oil level was good. One thing

I did notice dark smoke at startup but went away almost immediately. Is this something to be concerned about. I believe this to be normal but could be wrong.

I was looking to order a cover for the tractor before picking up the tractor The cover I was looking at will cover the front of the hood to the back of the seat.

Classic Accessories Compact Utility Tractor Cover
76" L x 23.5" W x 21.5 H Fits compact utility tractors from seatback to cowling front up to 79"L

Can someone let me know what the measurement is from front of hood to back of seat? And should I be concerned about the smoke on startup?

Thanks for everyone's input. The dealer is just over an hour away and I wont see it again until Monday or Tuesday.

/ Looking to buy a used 2016 GC1720 TLB. Anything I need to look at before I purchase? #10  
I spoke to the dealer today and they replaced the seal on the cylinder, greased unit and found no other problems and it ready to view.

Glad to hear that the filter is always the same color as the case. I and assuming that it was already replaced at least once.

I did check the rad screen on first viewing and it was spotless. I did not check air filter.

Engine oil level was good. One thing

I did notice dark smoke at startup but went away almost immediately. Is this something to be concerned about. I believe this to be normal but could be wrong.

I was looking to order a cover for the tractor before picking up the tractor The cover I was looking at will cover the front of the hood to the back of the seat.

Classic Accessories Compact Utility Tractor Cover
76" L x 23.5" W x 21.5 H Fits compact utility tractors from seatback to cowling front up to 79"L

Can someone let me know what the measurement is from front of hood to back of seat? And should I be concerned about the smoke on startup?

Thanks for everyone's input. The dealer is just over an hour away and I wont see it again until Monday or Tuesday.

A puff on start up is normal, when cold. Usually mostly goes away for warm starts.