Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD?

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD?
There is rust appearing around the valve on one of the rears. Just a matter of time I suppose

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #62  
My last tractor was about that age when I started replacing rims, and to the best of my knowledge they were never loaded. I had to have a major hole in one of the rears patched and replaced the two fronts due to rust.
Rust never sleeps. It may doze off but it's always working away, making your machines lighter...

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #63  
There is rust appearing around the valve on one of the rears. Just a matter of time I suppose
Sure sign of a leak and if it's CACL, you can bet it's eating hard at the steel. CACL is extremely corrosive on ferrous materials and once it starts it's very hard to arrest too. Kind of like getting battery acid on your clothes. You don't see it right away but given a bit of time, your clothes become eaten away and no amount of washing will arrest it.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #64  
Rust never sleeps. It may doze off but it's always working away, making your machines lighter...
Good point, Neil Young. :D
I suspect the tractor never spent a day inside after leaving the factory. I know that it didn't when I had it. Aside from a Calcium leak, probably the worst thing you can do for anything metal is to store it on your lawn or in a field... especially covered with a tarp to hold all of the moisture inside.

Sure sign of a leak and if it's CACL, you can bet it's eating hard at the steel. CACL is extremely corrosive on ferrous materials and once it starts it's very hard to arrest too. Kind of like getting battery acid on your clothes. You don't see it right away but given a bit of time, your clothes become eaten away and no amount of washing will arrest it.
I don’t really know what’s in them. When I was planning to fill them I was going to use a mix of washer fluid or nontoxic antifreeze, I don’t remember which. When I loosened the valve I got a face full of whatever is in there. It tasted vaguely salty. I closed the valve and haven’t messed with them in nearly 20 years.

CACL seems like such a spectacularly bad idea that I was shocked that the dealer put it in them, assuming that that is what is in there.

My tractor lived under a tarp for a year or two. Since then it had been in an open sided shed. So still exposed to humidity and condensation. Other than that one wheel and a few places that paint got knocked off body panels there isn’t a lot of rust. I do not look forward to having to repair wheels or replace them.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #66  
Salty is CACL beyond any doubt. You need to address it while you still have some rims left.

Salty is CACL beyond any doubt. You need to address it while you still have some rims left.
I'm afraid its going to be a Pandora's Box. Cannot imagine why they use that stuff.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #68  
I'm afraid its going to be a Pandora's Box. Cannot imagine why they use that stuff.
I suspect it’s because of the relatively high specific gravity of the solution.

More weight than something like methanols or whatever washer fluid was comprised of.

That why beet juice derivatives are popular today. High specific gravity and nor overly corrosive.

I understand the need for maximum weight. And I understand the need for the liquid to have a low freezing point. I can't believe either of those outweighs having your rims rust out. On the other hand.....mine have apparently had CACL in them for nearly 20 years and no problems yet.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #70  
I understand the need for maximum weight. And I understand the need for the liquid to have a low freezing point. I can't believe either of those outweighs having your rims rust out. On the other hand.....mine have apparently had CACL in them for nearly 20 years and no problems yet.
Years ago that seemed to be the only viable option. Tires generally also had tubes, so until that wore out you didn't worry about rust.