Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD?

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #11  
I see a lot more 2wd right now. Seems like 4WD is super expensive. If 2wd were even an option something like this would probably be good.

JD 5420 for $23,500. Doesn't list hours though.

00404_3HcwDdkUBfNz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #12  
How

How can a new tractor in that hp range be sold without emissions? I don’t think that’s legal. Please explain what the situation is, because your description doesn’t make sense to me.
It has emissions, it just doesn't use a dpf that has to regen like a lot of the others. It has a DOC, but not DPF. I don't get that into the details on it, but DOC is also used with a DPF if I have it right.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #13  
It has emissions, it just doesn't use a dpf that has to regen like a lot of the others. It has a DOC, but not DPF. I don't get that into the details on it, but DOC is also used with a DPF if I have it right.
But he also said no DEF. I thought that DOC systems used DEF?

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #14  
It's only above a certain HP where DEF is needed. I believe it may be 74HP or less don't need DEF.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #15  
I tend to agree, but the more I read these forums and listen to people, I think Kubota may be one of the few who put a loader on that is rightly sized for the tractor and weight. The problem I see is that everyone just looks at specs and goes, ooh, that lifts more so it is better. The problem is they have a 3000# lift capacity on a 5000lb and then a front axle breaks (or worse the tractor splits in half :)) and it's the tractors fault, not theirs for doing something they probably shouldn't have.

I guess what I am saying is most should go up a size in tractor, but of course they can't afford to or just don't want to. There will always be fringe cases, but if you are looking at max loader capacity and expecting to always need it, one should be buying a bigger tractor.
I should say the tractor and loader, because I dont know the limiting factor, but Im not impressed with either of mine. I’d say they were barely adequate.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #16  
It sounds to me like you know what you want, and I bet you will find it.

I've always preferred to buy used, and although I may save a little money, my reasons have nothing at all to do with price. Sounds like you are thinking much the same. I'm more likely to be concerned with the previous owner. What shape is the rest of his machinery in? Does he have all the records? How is his shop? Why is he selling?

When I get ready to buy used, I already know what model I'm after and what features it should have. Condition is everything. I'm not even going to go look at something that isn't in great shape.

There are plenty of owners who take excellent care of their machinery. By using it a few years they have broken it in properly, fixed the little things, dealt with any necessary warranty, and all of that givesme increased confidence. The way I see it, those items are all worth money to me. I get to have what amounts to a long term road test of a particular machine in a model that I am familear with.

Sometimes it takes a while. You have the advantage of already knowing that the price will be high, but there is good in that.
rScotty

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD?
I have never been impressed with Kubota loaders lift capacity.

I tend to agree, but the more I read these forums and listen to people, I think Kubota may be one of the few who put a loader on that is rightly sized for the tractor and weight.

@Hozzie hit the nail on the head. My L4400 has the LA703 loader. That indicates 703kg (1546 pounds) at the bucket pin. I recently unloaded and carried my new sawmill (on a double pallet) on clamp on bucket forks...well out from the pins. I had a ~500 pound box blade on the back with a 200 pound man standing on it and filled rears. I know that the sawmill weighed right at 1500 pounds. The _loader_ handled it with no problem other than having to be very gentle when lowering to keep it from coming down too fast. But the tractor which is probably under 5000 pounds as configured above was unstable. Coming up the gravel drive the rear tires were slipping.

The point being that the loader capacity was matched pretty well to the tractor. If the load had been closer to the pins it would have been maxed out but probably more stable.

My current needs involve lifting and carrying logs up to 24 inches in diameter and 16 feet long. My tractor will handle pines 20 inches in diameter and 14 feet long but barely. And as mentioned, doing that on a regular basis is going to lead to a failure. That is why I'm looking for something with higher loader capacity but also a lot more weight. The M7040s also have skid steer quick attaches up front and I could couple that with proper forks vs clamp on forks which are by nature way out in front of the pins.

Still no reply on the offer on the M7040.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #18  
I'm pretty sure the M class machines come with a ALO quick attach due to the higher capacity but local differences may have them available with SSQA. my father in laws 7040 came with the ALO setup instead of SSQA.

Capacity listed is to full height. in the loader manual there is a graph that compares capacity to height. and they also changed the standard ratings. my LA854 loader is actually a little stronger than the LA1055 on the XX60 series because they used to name the loaders with the capacities 500 MM forward of the pins and now they name them with capacities at the pins so the number is bigger but if you look up the specs, it is actually a little weaker. probably wouldn't notice in real life. also my loader was rated with the standard pin on connection but the newer loaders are rated with the SSQA connection so real life capacities are slightly different.

My loader can actually lift close to 4000Lbs at the pins at ground level but it decreases significantly as you raise the loader.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD? #19  
But he also said no DEF. I thought that DOC systems used DEF?
My neighbors bought a similar sized Massey a couple of years ago, for the same reasons as Eddie. It went down twice in the first year because of emissions problems... they weren't running it hard enough. Diesels weren't made to be run at low speeds, work it a little or the engine won't even get up to full operating temps.
Considering how many Tier 4 machines that have been sold, it's amazing that any of them run if you listen to some people. It seems like every tractor dealer must have a full lot... of tractors waiting to be worked on. Granted there are exceptions, but they actually are pretty dependable IF used the way they are designed to be run.

/ Looking for used 50-70hp, pre-emissions tractor. JD?
I don’t even know the difference between ALO and SSQA so I probably misspoke. I know it had some sort of QA.