Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector.

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector. #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
'Looking for a replacement/equivalent for an obsolete Kubota fitting.

It's a "bulkhead connector" p/n 70090-20966 "straight thread bulkhead connector 9/16-18 SAE" (aka ORB or #6 SAE ORB).

The quick connect couplers that came with the top and tilt kit (may have got the last one) are 1/4" AG type with female 9/16-18 SAE ORB ends.

When I went shopping, I could not find those bulkhead connectors so went with JIC on both ends and some swivel adapters (JIC to ORB) for the quick connects.

That seemed reasonable at the time but now that I am doing the mock up for the valve mount and bulkhead plate, I kinda don't like how far the quick connect sticks out with the adapters and all.
l
So, if anyone knows where I can get 4 or 6 of those, I'd like to hear. Or other suggestions.

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector. #2  
There's a couple good hydraulic fabrication shops near me, I either take the parts over there or take a picture and tell them what I'm trying to do. They usually have fittings I didn't even know existed that solve the problem. Not sure if you're close to any places that can help you.

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector.
There's a couple good hydraulic fabrication shops near me, I either take the parts over there or take a picture and tell them what I'm trying to do. They usually have fittings I didn't even know existed that solve the problem. Not sure if you're close to any places that can help you.

I tried calling several local shops and none of them answered the phone or even accepted messages. Suppose I can keep trying.

I tried calling several local shops and none of them answered the phone or even accepted messages. Suppose I can keep trying.

Got through to a local custom shop and after explaining, I was told the treads on the JIC are the same as those on the SAE ORB and all I had to do is put an o-ring on the JIC and it would work fine. Say he does it all the time.

Opinions?

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector. #5  
Are both ends of the bulkhead connector ORB?

Having trouble visualizing what you want or how its hooking up.

You say the quick connects are ORB. Male or female?
And what hooks to the other side of the bulkhead fitting? the hose? Is the hose also ORB? Male or female?

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector. #6  
Got through to a local custom shop and after explaining, I was told the treads on the JIC are the same as those on the SAE ORB and all I had to do is put an o-ring on the JIC and it would work fine. Say he does it all the time.

Opinions?
Sometimes it works.

Depends if you are talking about the make or female fitting.

Trying to thread a male ORB fitting into a female JIC will never work.

Trying to thread a JIC male fitting into a female ORB port doesnt always work. Sometimes the port isnt deep enough and the flare tip of the male JIC will bottom out before the o-ring seats

Sometimes it works.

Depends if you are talking about the make or female fitting.

Trying to thread a male ORB fitting into a female JIC will never work.

Trying to thread a JIC male fitting into a female ORB port doesnt always work. Sometimes the port isnt deep enough and the flare tip of the male JIC will bottom out before the o-ring seats

To address both replies at once:

The bulkhead connector is male JIC at both ends and, of course, the quick connect is a female ORB. I just checked and they thread together fine, without the flare bottoming at all. If it did, I could always machine the flare tip off.

I am a bit iffy on the o-ring holding, but on visual inspection there does not appear to be much difference between them where the o-ring goes. The JIC does have only about half the threads of the ORB type fittings I have, but don't know that is a big deal. (EDIT - after looking at more adapters, they are all about the same in thread "length" /EDIT)

Just found out about these: New Line N2711-06-06. They look perfect but are about 4x the price I paid for the ones I have and would run me another $100 or so. Just hate to waste money, ya know?

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector. #8  
So are you wanting one that is male JIC on one end and male ORB on the other?

Kinda an odd fitting so its gonna be pricey everywhere you can find it.

Word of caution....ORB o-rings are not your standard o-rings that come in kits from napa. There are different sizes and thicknesses....as well as a harder (higher) durometer

So are you wanting one that is male JIC on one end and male ORB on the other?

Kinda an odd fitting so its gonna be pricey everywhere you can find it.

Word of caution....ORB o-rings are not your standard o-rings that come in kits from napa. There are different sizes and thicknesses....as well as a harder (higher) durometer

Yep, that is what I want. Well, the JIC end does not matter much, as I have to get hoses made up for that side so could be anything, I suppose.

The Top and Tilt I got from Kubota, specifically for this tractor and priced, in this case, not much different than "generic" kits, had the female quick connects included. The mounting and valve kits were no longer available. Those included the bulkhead and other fittings/disconnects.

Had I been more knowledgeable when I started, I could have just tossed the quick connects and started from scratch. But being penny wise and "how hard could it be?", this is where I am, trying to make the best of it.

I did notice the o-rings seemed a bit harder than "normal". DiscountHydraulicHose.com has them for about a buck a piece. I'm sure the local shop I spoke to will have them as well.

/ Looking for "rare" (obsolete ?) Kubota bulkhead connector. #10  

Opinions?
I have done this with the short side of the bulkhead fitting. Be sure the threads do not bottom in quick coupler before the Oring gets compressed. Be sure to use an SAE/ORB O-ring. Check that the threads on the bulkhead fitting are machined off where the O-ring goes.
This cannot be done on the long side which is the side for the nut.