Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood?

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
A good sized oak tipped a bit too far, and the power company sent a crew in to let the tree down before it fouled the wires.
The crew made a good job of a tough situation, but left the good oak laying in the wet area at the base of my drive.
The dismembered tree is about 10 feet down over a bank and in muck.

Access is by the shared drive and the town road. I would not want to foul either with a cable or chain stretched across, nor a 12 foot oak bolt 24" ABH.

So I'm thinking......

Chain hooks on the bucket, tongs at the tree, hitch 6 foot lengths up over the edge one FEL lift at a time. Then carry the bolt up the steep drive to the yard. (Bucket tusks)

The only downside of this is the tractor at the edge of the drive (just wide enough there) and the repetitious change between hitches , and then carry mode. It's gonna be 30 trip, the tree was quite large ;-)

I'm looking at a months worth of heat, so the effort is worth it, I just don't want to dick around when there is a "better way".

I've got lots of chain, chokers, tongs and 50 feet of 1/2" cable. Plus several hundred feet of 5/8" 10,000# rope.

I've scoped out the long pull up the hill and out. It would not be easy. This oak is not the only tree in the area ;-)

Open to ideas, that's for sure.

ETA

I see a skidding winch in my future ;-)

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #2  
Really hard to say without an exact picture of your situation, but if it was me I'd put my effort into the rigging. How many snatch blocks you got?

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #3  
I’d probably pull it out hole if you can. It would take less time to fix the drag marks vs carrying the whole thing out.

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood?
I壇 probably pull it out hole if you can. It would take less time to fix the drag marks vs carrying the whole thing out.

Pulling the whole tree out means tying up both the town road and the drive for at least 20 minutes. My civic responsibility meter says NO on that front. but I have considered it..... ;-)

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood?
Really hard to say without an exact picture of your situation, but if it was me I'd put my effort into the rigging. How many snatch blocks you got?

Two, But pulling from the hill makes no sense, and pulling from the town road challenges my community ethic.

Think of the lawyers!

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #6  
I don't know how busy your road is but I regularly pull tree length logs down my gravel road with no issues.
We live in Vermont, nothin' but rock and sticks here.

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #7  
Two, But pulling from the hill makes no sense, and pulling from the town road challenges my community ethic.

Think of the lawyers!
You should be able to hold up the road without getting in the way of law. In my town, right of way permits will be issued for such.

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #8  
Use your pulley so that you can drive parallel to the road rather than across it. If there isn’t an anchor point nearby you can use the hitch on your pickup.

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #9  
:cool2: Skidding winch!! :cool2:

You'll wonder how you ever lived without one!

Use your pulley so that you can drive parallel to the road rather than across it. If there isn’t an anchor point nearby you can use the hitch on your pickup.

Just don't pull the truck over the bank when the log snags on a root or stump! :eek:

/ Looking for ideas: Fastest way to pull up firewood? #10  
Can you chain onto the whole thing and just pull it a little ways cut it into workable lengths, pull some more and repeat.
Maybe only blocking the whole road for a few minutes at a time and just part of it the rest of the time while working it up.