Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #1  

finallydribben

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010SE
Hey guys-

I have recently had reason to start some research on getting some security cameras installed on my place. 40 acres mostly woods, house in center of property. I am looking for anyone's experiences with setting up multiple security cameras on their property. Specific obstacles we have to accomplishing this is the distance from my house to our gate at the road, which is around 600ft and our barn which is around 500ft the other direction. Seems like WIFI would not work due to distances and at this point I feel like I might be limited to LTE sim card cameras. I have been looking at Reolink cameras but there are so many to pick from- I figured there may be others on here that have tackled this problem and may have some suggestions. Ideally I would like to set up 4-8 cameras around the place but I am not sure what data plans of that many cameras would cost and if that is even the best option.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #3  
You could try adding some wifi antennas (not extenders) which would allow you to use something like Eufy cameras.

Something like this: Amazon.com

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #5  
I have two Eufy cameras for drive way security,about 200ft. or so ,not sure on their range.I also have three TactaCams,one used for my business drive way(1/2 mile) other for game cameras.They are cell based,subscription,unlimited distance.Cost about $100/yr.per camera,cameras about $150.
Both work well.The Eufy's have no subscription cost if they work for you.Both are battery powered,Eufy's solar and I added solar to my Tactacams.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #6  
Hey guys-

I have recently had reason to start some research on getting some security cameras installed on my place. 40 acres mostly woods, house in center of property. I am looking for anyone's experiences with setting up multiple security cameras on their property. Specific obstacles we have to accomplishing this is the distance from my house to our gate at the road, which is around 600ft and our barn which is around 500ft the other direction. Seems like WIFI would not work due to distances and at this point I feel like I might be limited to LTE sim card cameras. I have been looking at Reolink cameras but there are so many to pick from- I figured there may be others on here that have tackled this problem and may have some suggestions. Ideally I would like to set up 4-8 cameras around the place but I am not sure what data plans of that many cameras would cost and if that is even the best option.

Thanks in advance.
spypoint cell camera doing great at a reasonable cost. Camera under $100, you can get 100 pics month for free, however that can happen pretty quick depending on movement. I pay $10 month for unlimited plan. I tried Reolink and sent it back. Spypoint comes with E-sim already installed.
I also use POE IP cameras with SD cards for local storage. I have ran ethernet over powerline to out buildings, including running ethernet over power on an extension cord.

I see you are at Meadows of Dan VA, nice pretty area. my remote place in near Roanoke VA.

HD1318sm.jpg
HD1464sm.jpg

Last edited:
   / Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #7  
If you don't want to pay subscription fees, you could bury ethernet cable. Not saying this is the cable to buy because I haven't researched it, but as an example here is 1000' direct burial ethernet cable for $125 Robot or human?

I don't know what's up with the link-it's at Walmart.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #8  
I use these.

The cameras are expensive, but there are no ongoing fees, and I get pictures or videos automatically delivered to my cellphone via email.

I installed their external antenna at my house, which connects to the base unit. It easily communicates over the distance you describe.

I already had a computer in my house that is always running, and that's what powers the automatic download to my phone. You can also just periodically check for pictures/videos by bringing up their program on a computer.

I also configured it to send a daily status email, which includes the percentage of charge left on the camera battery. I need to swap in a charged battery about every couple of months.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #9  
Following since I'm interested in what everyone has to say.
Yup me too. I’ve tried twice to put and keep cameras working in a barn 100’ away from the router. Here’s what I learned

Those Extenders are essentially useless.

if You can get a weak but working signal upon setup don’t get all giggly and think it will work for long. Extenders added = same thing. They work a while , sometimes cut in and out often needing 😖setup AGAIN and again……. Signal gets affected by weather be it humidity or temperature so if you don’t have a decent signal strength you will likely be aggravatingly disappointed! WiFi in my experience is good as far as the perimeter of your house and thats it and sometimes that is even sketchy.

Steel siding makes everything all the worse. Putting an ad on antenna ( like your old radio used for FM) doesn’t seem to help with the weak signal AT ALL. That’s even out in direct line of sight, no better.

the one thing I found to reliably work at all is one of those Mighty Mule magnetic vehicle sensors. That gives me a full 200+- ’ through a plywood plastic sided home wall. Batteries seem to last for 3-4 years. Of course it doesn’t pick up people just large metal objects. It does work though which is more than I can say for any of the cameras.

/ Looking for ideas and experience with Video Security Cameras on the Farm #10  
If you don't want to pay subscription fees, you could bury ethernet cable. Not saying this is the cable to buy because I haven't researched it, but as an example here is 1000' direct burial ethernet cable for $125 Robot or human?

I don't know what's up with the link-it's at Walmart.
Just keep in mind that ethernet is only rated for 100m lengths without a repeater. When burying cable for outbuildings and a starlink pole I put it in the same trench as power and used shielded outdoor cable.