Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana?

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Saw this on Facebook this morning. WOW! Make sure to watch the video.

"At 120 Acres, this property is truly one of a kind. A sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle and a little slice of heaven. Rock Springs is turn-key, off-the-grid living. All the comforts of home, including Satellite TV, Internet, abundant wild game, and the best views and stargazing you will likely ever see. When you are up this high, the sky seems to wrap around you and the milky way is clearly visible with absolutely zero light pollution."

Selling Rock Springs for $78, | Life at Rock Springs

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #2  
Wow, that was very nice put together video... I need them to make a video when we sell our city house!!!

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #3  
You are more impressed with that place then I am...

He did have one he!! of a writer for the vid though! lol

SR

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #4  
Yea, I hope the owners understand they'll be living there a lot longer. No way in he!! they'll get that asking price. Maybe if it was a thousand acres, maybe.

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #5  
This property is on the West side of the Big Horn mountains, Wyoming, not Montana.

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #6  
Yea, not sure they will get close to asking price unless someone really gullible sees it. :D

I would assume most of the place is on it's last legs (like the batteries)... They even made "watering the batteries" look fun. I had a 1980 Rabbit all electric car - what a headache!!!

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #7  
Beautiful place, might be a tad further away from the "hustle and bustle" than I'd like, even for a hermit like me. Looks like it's a looong drive for any sort of goods and services. I didn't see a garden anywhere...is it safe to assume the soil there isn't conducive to growing much other than scrub pine?
Moot point, way out of my budget anyway.

I would assume most of the place is on it's last legs (like the batteries)... They even made "watering the batteries" look fun.

Yeah, those batteries looked a bit ancient, but the video implied the place was built in the mid 90s...not what I'd call "last legs".

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #8  
Neat views. Seems pretty arid. I also noticed the lack of any gardens, which would seem to be pretty important given the isolation. I would think you would want to be a bit more self-sufficient food wise. I liked the fire in the wood stove with the sliding door open right next to it. :laughing: Going for the dramatic effect there, I guess.. I suspected the price was high, but i have to imagine it is pretty tough to value something like that. Also the equipment included. Why the heck would you need 2 jack hammers and an industrial towable compressor? Maybe for carving out the foundation, but at this point? :confused2: I am curious to look up more details like climate and rainfall...

Yeah, a mild dry place. Highs upper 80s in the summer, lows around 10 in the winter. 11" of rain per year and 33" of snow. Pretty dry. That explains why the buildings have rain collection from the gutters. Scanning out on the google satellite, it looks very desert to the west, and much greener to the east. They are kind of on the border of those two regions.

Last edited:
   / Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #9  
Nice place - probably a little high in the asking price but there will eventually be somebody who will make an offer. Could be a bit of a problem to finance with no government services available. Road access & maintenance, fire & police protection - - may be looking at a cash buy out only.

/ Looking for an excellent off grid property in Montana? #10  
Someone sent me this listing when it came out several weeks ago, I think it was in March. The video went viral and they had several offers the first couple weeks, so I'd guess they got at least one offer at or very near the asking price. That environment isn't great for outdoor gardening, probably a greenhouse would be a big help.