Looking for advice on zero turn mower

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #1  

drysalty

Bronze Member
Tractor
kioti CK 2610 hst
Im in the market for a zero turn mower. I’m on the list to demo a Kioti zero turn when my dealer gets them in. In the mean time I’m looking at other brands available locally and I’d love some input on these mowers as I’ve never owned or operated one. I’m mowing about 2.5 acres weekly in the summer and I’ve been using a 38” riding mower and it Takes a day to get everything taken care of. I’m thinking a 48 - 54 inch deck, I’d like good hydros, 2800’s minimum preferably 3100’s or better. let me know what you like and why I should buy one! Thanks in advance!

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #2  
I have always run Kubota ZD mowers, first for my 6 acres then for 30 acres of commercial (across 15 lawns).
A commercial diesel is overkill for 2.5 acres, but they sure are nice. Kubota has a full line of zero turns from residential gas, to commercial diesels. Check them out.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Looking for advice on zero turn mower #3  
I have an older bush hog ZT with 60” deck. It runs ok for age hours. Other than odd issues due to co diction/age, it runs pretty well.
My wife thinks it’s ready for the junkyard, but it’s along way from it!!

grew up mowing with JD 140 then 318 mowing about 6 acres per week. Wish I had a ZT then!

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower
I have always run Kubota ZD mowers, first for my 6 acres then for 30 acres of commercial (across 15 lawns).
A commercial diesel is overkill for 2.5 acres, but they sure are nice. Kubota has a full line of zero turns from residential gas, to commercial diesels. Check them out.
There is a big kubota dealer about 10 miles from here; but I (and every one I know) hates to buy from them as they are terrible to do business with. There are other kubota dealers but they are more distant, about 40 miles or so. I’d be glad to buy a kubota, but it wouldn’t be from my local dealer. I have exmark, Ferris, scag, husqvarna, cub cadet, also very close by. There’s a toro/ bad boy dealer 35 miles away, I’m sure there are others I’m missing.

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #5  
There is a big kubota dealer about 10 miles from here; but I (and every one I know) hates to buy from them as they are terrible to do business with. There are other kubota dealers but they are more distant, about 40 miles or so. I’d be glad to buy a kubota, but it wouldn’t be from my local dealer. I have exmark, Ferris, scag, husqvarna, cub cadet, also very close by. There’s a toro/ bad boy dealer 35 miles away, I’m sure there are others I’m missing.

I Pass more than 3 kubota dealers to get to the one I am comfortable dealing with, so I definitely get where you’re coming from.
Exmark has a big presence in my area for commercial mowers, but I don’t have any experience with them.
If I were to switch from ZD mowers (which I wouldn’t!) next in line would probably be a suspended Ferris. They are VERY comfortable.

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower
I’m going to look at a used Ferris tomorrow, it a IS 2100 with the fan assisted bagger and a dethatching rake. It has 26 hours on it, it looks to have a Briggs engine but no oil guard system . What do you think is a reasonable price to offer if it’s as nice as it looks in pictures?

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #7  
Do yourself a favor and take the time to test drive a Toro with the MyRide seat system. NUFF SAID

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #8  
If you don't have your mind made up on a certain manufacturer, be sure to check out Ferris, they are absolutely top shelf and they cost a little more but certainly worth a look see.

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #9  
Good info on this site regarding which ZTR is best for each particular features. After reviewing those posts and specs on about 8 different brands my conclusion was that each had some of the best and some of the worse features. For the same quality I think each brand is priced similarly.

After having bought 2 mowers from BB stores in the past, and regretted it as soon as the first time I needed repair or service work done, the deciding factor for me was to only buy from a close dealer and one that I trusted. That thought kept bringing me back to my small town local Kubota dealer.

So, in short, I bought my first ZTR, a Kubota KZ2412, 48" & Kawasaki motor, yesterday. I opted for the 48" due to the need to mow in between many trees. Larger size ZTR's were priced only a small amount higher, but I bought what I needed. I'm long over the "My dog is bigger than your dog." syndrome.

Best price? Best ride? Best quality? Who knows; Best dealer support? Definitely! I will know in 10 years if my selection was the best for my needs. What I do know is that dealer has supported me beyond expectations with my Kubota tractor. He has a great reputation in the community and has been in the Kubota business for 40 years. That says a lot to me.

Many thanks to the posters on this thread that have shared the up's and down's of the brands that they know about.

/ Looking for advice on zero turn mower #10  
I went through this last year and got a 54" Bad Boy ZT Elite. Also about 2 acres and I cut my mowing time to about an hour. It is the lowest priced ZF with a front suspension.

Very please so far and at my age (71) will likely be the last mower I buy.