Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #1  

snowbelt geauga

Silver Member
Tractor
Ls XU 6158C
Looking for some input on a portable welder. I have a 6500 running watts generator with a max output starting watts 8125. It has (1) 120/240v 30a L14-30R twist lock plug. Is there anything out there that can work with this set up?

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #2  
A small inverter should work. Maybe 200 amps Max. Mark from Everlast would know.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #3  
That's kinda like saying you're looking for a car to park in your garage.

What process(es) are you interested in? What type of capability would you like to have? Do you want full use on the generator?

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator.
Stick welding. I like to be able weld on my implements and fab some implements for my tractor. I would not need use of the generator when I am welding.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #5  
A number of years ago at a job site with no hydro service a generator your size was rented to weld together a barn cleaner that was part of a new installation. We didn't have that big a welder but it was 220 and we probably were trying to weld at around 90 to 100 amps. Well the breaker kept going off after about 10 seconds and it was a real pain in the butt using it. I made up my mind that day to never try welding with that small a generator again. If you're adamant then one of the little rinky-dink 120 welders is probably what you'll have to use but don't count on anything staying together.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #6  
Looking for some input on a portable welder. I have a 6500 running watts generator with a max output starting watts 8125. It has (1) 120/240v 30a L14-30R twist lock plug. Is there anything out there that can work with this set up?

You're a bit on the edge here, but you might make it work. A typical small inverter stick welder, with around 150-200 amps output, draws between 25 and 30 amps at max output. 6500 watts / 220 volts = 29.5 amps. So are you good to go? Not quite. Because the inrush current when you strike an arc can be 2x to 3x of the running current. So you may find that getting an arc going is very difficult or impossible. If you were not running at max output, you might get away with it, but you'd be pretty limited in what rods and rod sizes you could burn.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator.
Thanks for all of yours imput.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #8  
I have a little Miller ACDC 200 amp 240v. I use the 3/32 6011 rod when field welding on the AC function as I get more heat that way. I had a 5000 w gen and it was very marginal. I since upped to the HF 6500 w and it handles the rod mentioned just fine considering the size of the generator. Rod size IS important.

Mark

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #9  
Maybe a welder/generator would fit your needs better if you weld more than a couple times a month.

/ Looking for a portable welder I can run of of my generator. #10  
I have been able to weld with my 4KW Coleman gen powering a 220V 230A stick welder. It wont do hi amps, but plenty for 3/32" 6011 rods. 1/8 rods just barely.
-- With 6.5KW, 1/8 6011 would burn comfortably, but not quite to the amps required for full "hi end" powering you would want for thicker stuff.
larry