Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #1  

highwing

Tractor
Kubota M9540
A little background: my wife and I grew up in farming/ranching families. We formerly had about 45 acres that we ran cattle and horses on. We had a Kubota M9540 and liked it very much. Our thinking has always been buy heavier duty than you think you need and don't work it so hard. We had an unexpected career change and move and sold our farm as well as the tractor. Now that we are settling back in a getting a new farm, we are going to need a new tractor. Our farm is smaller this time around, about 30 acres as we don't have as much time to live the farm life with a new business and new baby.

In hindsight, the M9540 was probably a little bigger than what we really needed although it made handling round bales and downed trees a breeze. This time around, I'm leaning towards a 70-75hp so we will at least be able to comfortably run a 12 ft batwing clipper and not feel tippy with big round bales. Open to any brand. Located in N Alabama and there is a dealer for just about every brand within about an hour of us. Open to new or used, budget 45k-ish. Will probably have this tractor for decades.

Must have:
Cab
Front end loader
4WD
3 rear remotes
3rd function on FEL
Buddy seat
Hydraulic shuttle

Would like to have (in order of importance):
No DPF
Self leveling loader
3PH adjustable from rear of tractor

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice. I've been looking, but feel like there are so many choices in that range that it's a bit overwhelming.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #2  
I have a Farmall 75C which comes pretty close to fitting the bill but it's going to be more like $52k -$55k with 3rd function valve, Self-Leveling Bucket and a 3rd set of remotes added. The New Holland equivalent is the Powerstar 75. Case and NH also sell the Farmall 75A/Workmaster 75 which is an economy model version with lower specs. Kubota you would have to get a M4-071 to get the buddy seat. The Kubota M7060, Kioti RX7320, LS MT573CPS, Deere 5075E and RK Tractor RK74 do not have the buddy seat. Massey MF4707 might have a buddy seat - the 2018 model did but not sure on new one. Haney Equipment in Athens lists one of those for about $52k.
Case/NH and Kubota are offering 0% for 60 mo on Utility Tractors right now
Massey is offering 0% for 84mo on 4700 series right now.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #3  
One of your requirements is no dpf. If your looking at buying new, I'm afraid your out of luck. All tractors over 25 hp are dpf required.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #4  
Ranger Danger,
One of your requirements is no dpf. If your looking at buying new, I'm afraid your out of luck. All tractors over 25 hp are dpf required.

My Case Farmall 75C uses DOC (Diesel Oxydation Catalyst) so it doesn't need to regen or use DEF fluid. The Massey 4700 series uses SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) which is similar and it doesn't regen or need DEF fluid either. These are both current generation Utility Size tractors that the manufacturers have figured out how to meet TierIV and not need regeneration.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #5  
I suspect you will have trouble actually finding what your looking for these days simply because of the effects of COVID-19 dealers are having a hard time getting the stuff in stock and your $45,000 price seems low. Hopefully you will find something you want at a reasonable price.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #6  
Ranger Danger,

My Case Farmall 75C uses DOC (Diesel Oxydation Catalyst) so it doesn't need to regen or use DEF fluid. The Massey 4700 series uses SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) which is similar and it doesn't regen or need DEF fluid either. These are both current generation Utility Size tractors that the manufacturers have figured out how to meet TierIV and not need regeneration.
They claim no Regens with those systems, but technically, it's always regening all the time once it gets up to the required temp. That's why with DOC it is specially important to run at higher RPMs and actually get some load on the engine, so the temp at the DOC increases and it starts burning the soot.

This system is not too bad if the tractors sees a decent load or drives on the road a lot. Otherwise it can/will plug.

The DPF is a bit more forgiving towards running at lower RPMs and with less load because you can actually force the regens and work with that to prevent clogging.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #7  
Used?

Be sure to check out McCormicks. They are cousins with Case-IH and had a lot of the features you mention. Probably like a McCormick CX-75 AND you can get a partial powershift in those (called an "extrashift") which would be really sweet. They do have buddy seats and fender mount 3pt buttons. I had a CX-105 and really liked it.

Heres your perfect tractor, right here BAMMO: https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/204035507/mccormick-cx75
Man, that is a sweet little tractor!

NO DPF!!! 3RD FUNCTION, partial powershift, Only 550 hours!

You can take the rest of your budget and buy a used UTV!

Last edited:
   / Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #8  
They claim no Regens with those systems, but technically, it's always regening all the time once it gets up to the required temp. That's why with DOC it is specially important to run at higher RPMs and actually get some load on the engine, so the temp at the DOC increases and it starts burning the soot.

This system is not too bad if the tractors sees a decent load or drives on the road a lot. Otherwise it can/will plug.

The DPF is a bit more forgiving towards running at lower RPMs and with less load because you can actually force the regens and work with that to prevent clogging.
I do not agree to your statement on the DOC.
I'm running a long haul truck, with a EPA 2004 CAT c13 Acert engine. A DOC was part of Caterpillar's solution to comply with the EPA standards at that time.
The DOC held up to over 40.000 hours until it was finally plugged.
Long haul trucks do not always have a lots of load on the engine or run high Rpms.

To one of the previous posters, if it says SCR, it requires DEF.

I would go with any DOC model any time.

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #9  
I've got about 70 hrs on my M4-071 now and it meets all of your requirements except no DPF and budget. I don't have the self leveling bucket but have the rear remote and 3rd function. Also have rear wiper and defrost. Mine has gone through several regens and nothing has popped up as an issue, I like it a lot more than the MX because it has a filter indicator letting you know how close you are to your next regen and can plan around it rather than it just popping up as needing one when you're ready to park it for the day. It also seems like it regens faster than the MX does.

Only thing I do not like is the location of the oil dipstick, it's behind a the loader mount and you basically have to hunch over and reach around one side of the loader mount and look around the other to get the dipstick in and out. I'm not old but it's an uncomfortable position to hold even for the few seconds it takes to check the oil. Also the oil fill is behind the same arm and you need an exceptionally long funnel to reach, I would much rather not have to use a funnel at all (it's only ever needed oil to fill at the 50hr service but that was enough to be frustrating).

/ Looking for a new tractor in the 75hp range #10  
Used?

Be sure to check out McCormicks. They are cousins with Case-IH and had a lot of the features you mention. Probably like a McCormick CX-75 AND you can get a partial powershift in those (called an "extrashift") which would be really sweet. They do have buddy seats and fender mount 3pt buttons. I had a CX-105 and really liked it.

Heres your perfect tractor, right here BAMMO: https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/204035507/mccormick-cx75
Man, that is a sweet little tractor!

You can take the rest of your budget and buy a used UTV!
Not for 45 grand.